List Mgmt. WE MUST RE-SIGN HAMLING

Remove this Banner Ad

so did we drop the ball or is Sydney just offering too much too resist? Can't have it both ways otherwise it's like listening to Hagdorn or Suma - offered more and he stayed "Freo overpaid for depth" - didn't offer enough and he left "Freo dropped the ball".
BA I suspect it was a case of Sydney offering overs and our amended offer still falling short.

You'd think if our ammended offer was for more years they would have explicity mentioned it. Someone mentioned a trigger which I think makes the most sense. But it's been said right from the start that opportunity was the main selling point for him.

It would’ve been nice to keep him but some of you are losing your mind, saying it’s critical we keep him.

He has played 6 games in 4 years and most of those were the last 4 of this season. He had a horrific ankle injury and A two year contract for a guy with a flag in his pocket not in our best 22 HAD to be taken by him. Is he in Sydney’s best 22, I’m not sure he is.

We might find someone, we might not but Ryan & Chapman can play tall. This won’t be the difference between finals and not let’s just say that.

Yeah well People forget when Joel Hamling in the end of 2016, He left the bulldogs that just won the flag.

Anyone wants to be reminded on how bad our 2016 season was? We were 0-10, crippled with injuries and had ony 4 wins from 22 games. Ironic too as Alex Pearce had a long term injury arond this time too.

Put it this way. Those 2017-19 seasons were way better than 2016. Joel Hamling played 22 games in 2017, 18 in 2018 and 22 in 2019. He was in our best 22 and inour back 6 when he was fully fit.

Sad that he had multiple injuries after the end of 2019.

Yeah well People forget when Joel Hamling in the end of 2016, He left the bulldogs that just won the flag.

Anyone wants to be reminded on how bad our 2016 season was? We were 0-10, crippled with injuries and had ony 4 wins from 22 games. Ironic too as Alex Pearce had a long term injury arond this time too.

Put it this way. Those 2017-19 seasons were way better than 2016. Joel Hamling played 22 games in 2017, 18 in 2018 and 22 in 2019. He was in our best 22 and inour back 6 when he was fully fit.

Sad that he had multiple injuries after the end of 2019.

He was a great player for us those years, very underrated but after his injuries he has lost a yard of pace and agility. I hope he goes well but I think Sydney offering 2 years is silly.

Bell is a dud turd, watch us be ****ed with no back up in defence next season
he is literally an unrestricted free agent

Bell isn't a turd for refusing to offer overs to keep depth

The only thing we could offer him to stay is gametime and we simply cant guarentee that

Ridiculous. Stupid. Short sighted.
As bad as letting Acres go.
He's 31 start of next year

It's the opposite of shortsighted

Not to mention we literally don't have a choice because he is an unrestricted free agent

I usually generally agree with your posting on here too but you've missed the mark with this one

He was a great player for us those years, very underrated but after his injuries he has lost a yard of pace and agility. I hope he goes well but I think Sydney offering 2 years is silly.
I dont think its not a bad idea to hand him 2 seasons. Let the bloke get rotated and play 20-30 games for the next 2 seasons and rotate other tall defenders off the bench.

so did we drop the ball or is Sydney just offering too much too resist? Can't have it both ways otherwise it's like listening to Hagdorn or Suma - offered more and he stayed "Freo overpaid for depth" - didn't offer enough and he left "Freo dropped the ball".
we've all got no idea what was offered but it sounds like sydney has given him 2+ when we were only offering him 1 year. we shouldve at least given him 2 yrs. his experience and ability was worth that at least, maybe we couldve given him 2 yrs with a trigger for a 3rd.

we ****ed up big here. again our list gets younger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the best to him. He’s just as likely to break down given a full season as he is to make it through. Was quality back up for 6-8 games if we needed him but obviously wanted more opportunity.

I like the idea of Davies or Draper getting games next year puts us in better shape for 2025.

Rate Hamling mugh higher than Pearce. Both as a defender and as a leader. The dude is cool, calm and just gets the job done. He's also put the work in and we supported him through those few years. And we ship him off for a packet of Twisties because we couldn't give the bloke 2 years. We gave Corbett two years.

Pearce, who couldn't beat Shultz in the Doig. Our Captain. FMD.

Rate Hamling mugh higher than Pearce. Both as a defender and as a leader. The dude is cool, calm and just gets the job done. He's also put the work in and we supported him through those few years. And we ship him off for a packet of Twisties because we couldn't give the bloke 2 years. We gave Corbett two years.

Pearce, who couldn't beat Shultz in the Doig. Our Captain. FMD.
Twisties ? He is a delisted free agent from his Geelong days.
We get 0

Never thought I'd see such a big meltdown over a 31 year old who played 6 games in 4 years.

And this is not comparable to Acres in the slightest. We pushed Acres out for whatever reason. He was 27, best 22 player. We lowballed him. He would've stayed if we offered more. Hamling is a 31 year old free agent who has been pure depth for the past two seasons. The only thing that would've kept him was if he was guaranteed more game time. Only way the club could've done that is by snapping Alex Pearce's ankles themselves.

Get over it.

Never thought I'd see such a big meltdown over a 31 year old who played 6 games in 4 years.

And this is not comparable to Acres in the slightest. We pushed Acres out for whatever reason. He was 27, best 22 player. We lowballed him. He would've stayed if we offered more. Hamling is a 31 year old free agent who has been pure depth for the past two seasons. The only thing that would've kept him was if he was guaranteed more game time. Only way the club could've done that is by snapping Alex Pearce's ankles themselves.

Get over it.
And you don’t think depth is important? Who’s our depth now if a key back goes down? Draper and Davis are untried and barely league WAFL standard yet from what I’ve watched.

Depth and experience is critical to a list. Again we get younger and fail to hold onto critical list depth.

And you don’t think depth is important? Who’s our depth now if a key back goes down? Draper and Davis are untried and barely league eagles standard yet from what I’ve watched.

Depth and experience is critical to a list. Again we get younger and fail to hold onto critical list depth.
Ryan, Chapman, Hughes, Davies, Draper

Why won't you people understand that Hamling DIDNT WANT TO BE DEPTH, HE WANTS TO PLAY AFL FOOTY, he has exercised his rights as an unrestricted free agent in order to do that

And you don’t think depth is important? Who’s our depth now if a key back goes down? Draper and Davis are untried and barely league WAFL standard yet from what I’ve watched.

So you admit Hamling is nothing more than depth. Why would a 31 year old want to spend the rest of his career as depth when he can get the same money regularly playing in a contending team?

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I accept that Hamling wanted to be assured of time in a senior team.

We offer him 2 years, ..... “Freo giving old farts 2 year contracts, will they never learn !!!”. He takes the Sydney offer, ..... “Why are Freo giving away a valuable depth player ..... “.

Loved how Hamling resurrected himself, massive credit. The way I look at it, it now opens up a door for a youngster to prove themselves.

Whilst I’m here, bit tired of the Pearce bashing. Sure he started the season slowly, but he worked for the team. To some, he is an easy target.

Last edited:
I think we could have tried Cox forward more than just the last game of the season to see how they could all work together. Just imagine if Cox turned out to be the 50 goal a year forward to partner Amiss!

Said it during the season, we should have played Hamling instead of Hughes in the backline while Chappy was out, many games we were too small in the backline with Hughes and Ryan trying to nullify much taller 3rd tall forwards.
If we had done that and offered him a 2 year rookie contract, he’d probably have stayed.
Having said that, the melts are extraordinary for someone who would be behind Chapman when fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back