We Need a Classy Big Monster Key Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to use our 1st pick this year for the best genuine key forward available. We ain’t going to get a McKay, King brothers or even a Larkey.
Kreuger our best hope atm if he can stay on the park.

Big key position forwards with class are like GOLD!

These are the types of players who win you flags. Like Cane Cornes said..........if Cameron wasn't playing for Geelong on the weekend THE PIES WOULD HAVE WON.
indeed, no more short cuts Collingwood. Players who are B graders like Mcstay ,Frampton etc serve a purpose but they don't win flags yes stock up as depth but that's all.
What i wouldn't give to have a young Travis Cloke again but with accurate kicking skills.
Can't make it any plainer that this.
Geelong have Hawkins they went out and gave a few first rounders for JEREMY CAMERON. ( Cameron has destroyed us every time he has played against us even when he was playing for GWS, we simply don't have a player to match up on him )
Richmond won a flag with Jack Riewoldt .Then they quickly identified to have sustained success they need another big marking forward they went hell for leather and got LYNCH from Gold coast. Tigers would not have won the other flags if lynch was not playing with them.

The Hawks had Roughead and Buddy equals flags

Sydney have Buddy and Reid

Stop paying millions for Ruckmen and midfielders if you going to trade off a high calibre players then go and get high calibre players we NEED KPP's .
Midfielders and Ruckmen are dime a dozen.

Okay then there are 2 players i can think of who may be available in the next 12 to 24 months.

MACKAY from the Blues will be available soon throw the kitchen sink at him okay he is exactely what we need.
and or KING from the Gold Coast in fact get that war chest going and get BOTH OF THEM.............WHY NOT START GETTING IN THE EARS SOON COLLINGWOOD !!!!!!!

if we want multiple flags get a few big kpp's who you can build a team around. We have MOORE IN THE BACKLINE GET THE FORWRDS NOW !

You do know, I assume, that we chased hard for and narrowly missed out on both Tom Lynch and Jezza Cameron, right? Both of them chose teams that, at the time, were much more successful than we were. I think we may have also sounded out Taylor Walker and Jack Darling previously too but both stayed put.

And by virtue of our rapid surge back up the ladder, we’re not going to have the top-5 pick that we’d need to put such a deal together.

How do you imagine coming up with the picks and dollars needed to land a McKay or King type of power forward?

Geelong had to trade Tim Kelly (who I think was top five in the Brownlow that year) to get the picks needed for Cameron. What equivalent trade would you have us do? Give up a Daicos? Maynard?

Buddy has been at the Swans for nine years and so far they haven’t won a single flag with him but they lost their Cost of Living Allowance and have had several gun players squeezed out by salary cap pressures including Jordan Dawson, Dan Hannebury and Tom Mitchell who then went on to win a Brownlow at Hawthorn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
May not be quick enough for the OP's desire, but Matthew Jefferson may be available at our first pick this season.
Kicked 7 against WA for Vic Metro.

Otherwise, we sign McStay this year and Frampton as back up in defence it seems.
McStay is a work horse who can hold a mark, but won't kick 50 goals.
But Daniher and Hipwood (and McStay) hasn't yielded anything at Brisbane yet in terms of premierships, despite also having Lachie Neale in the middle.

Carlton didn't make the finals this season despite having Curnow and McKay and Cripps/Walsh in the midfield.

Even a good pair of KPP's isn't an automatic ticket to winning a GF.

What about a non classy big monster key forward? Lockett lacked class when he threw crutches at the media but I liked him for it.

As for those saying we should use our 1st on a key forward. Rather back our recruiters in and whom they value best at the pick on the actual moment it comes in.

What about a non classy big monster key forward? Lockett lacked class when he threw crutches at the media but I liked him for it.

As for those saying we should use our 1st on a key forward. Rather back our recruiters in and whom they value best at the pick on the actual moment it comes in.
I’d settle for a non-classy monster like Leigh Brown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although I don't rate Mcstay, I think everyone is under selling the impact he could have. Or even chucking Krueger in at full forward. Checkers has averaged 35 odd goals for the last 3 seasons as a massively undersized full forward. If we can release him and continue to develop Johnson and Henry, then we'll have enough firepiwer to contend.

You do know, I assume, that we chased hard for and narrowly missed out on both Tom Lynch and Jezza Cameron, right? Both of them chose teams that, at the time, were much more successful than we were. I think we may have also sounded out Taylor Walker and Jack Darling previously too but both stayed put.

And by virtue of our rapid surge back up the ladder, we’re not going to have the top-5 pick that we’d need to put such a deal together.

How do you imagine coming up with the picks and dollars needed to land a McKay or King type of power forward?

Geelong had to trade Tim Kelly (who I think was top five in the Brownlow that year) to get the picks needed for Cameron. What equivalent trade would you have us do? Give up a Daicos? Maynard?

Buddy has been at the Swans for nine years and so far they haven’t won a single flag with him but they lost their Cost of Living Allowance and have had several gun players squeezed out by salary cap pressures including Jordan Dawson, Dan Hannebury and Tom Mitchell who then went on to win a Brownlow at Hawthorn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
McKay is a RFA next year. Carlton has to be tight enough with their cap that they can’t match a huge offer.
If any team lands him they don’t necessarily need top picks.

Melbourne last year and the Dogs in 2016 proved that you don’t need an A grade KPF to win a flag, that said Boyd in 2016 and Brown last year had decent finals series.

I said last year that you guys should have picked up Casboult for free, he ended up kicking 35 for the Suns this year and I think it’s fair to assume he would have kicked 45+ for you.

I think your forward line is versatile and dangerous, when you get Kreuger / McStay in alongside Mihocek and Johnson with Henry in the wings and Ginnivan and Elliott that’s a lot of scoring power. If I was you though I’d chase a veteran forward as a stop gap - an extra player kicking 40 next year could be the difference between a flag or not. Charlie Dixon or Jack Gunston could be bought I think, or you could offer J Kennedy a one year deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back