Strategy We need a key forward

WHOS OUR FF SOLUTION?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies just won a flag off the back of no real traditional key fwd. Melbourne won a flag with Ben brown as key fwd. We won a flag in 17 with Jack and a bunch of dwarves.

We are better off making sure the game plan is correct and suring up our defence.

Lynch, kosi, Sampson and Bauer are more than adequate at the moment and then once Dusty’s money isn’t on the books we can look at a lynch replacement.
Pies won the flag with extremely high quality forward instincts.
Mihocek might not scream your 100 goal a season power forward. But he has great athleticism and his forwrd smarts are elite.

Hill, Elliott, De Goey, Sidebottom, Mcreery, Ginnivan are natural forwards who play on instinct.

Tigers have three natural forwards. The rest are below average.

Mihocek might not scream your 100 goal a season power forward. But he has great athleticism and his forwrd smarts are elite.

Hill, Elliott, De Goey, Sidebottom, Mcreery, Ginnivan are natural forwards who play on instinct.

Sidebottom didn't play forward, neither did De Goey and Mcreery isn't a smart footballer, he's an athlete and an effort player.

You are being a bit generous. Hill has been good only before his day out, although he is a natural forward for sure. Elliot has always been very good all round. Sidebottom rarely goes forward, DeGoey mainly a mid these days. I like McCreery's pace but he only kicked 17 goals in 25 games and Ginnivan spent a good deal of the year in the VFL.

The reasons why Colliingwood's forward line functions well is because it isn't hampered by role playing, they have a green light to do as they please, and their midfield is so dominant that the ball comes in their so often. Having said that, our forward line was just about the worst in the league last year, so not really something to measure against.

Talls don't grow on trees. There is a bit of potential so 46 is not bad.

A player who played predominantly VFL and only got offered a one year basic contract is borderline delisted. Whilst I’m happy to pay 46 for him, it’s still very generous. In that we could of offered a fourth rounder for those reasons above.

Maybe GC have said we want a pick in the 30’s for Chol now and this has changed stance for them thinking they will price something better from us but they will be mistaken.

I hope we don’t trade out of next year, which from what my recruiting mates tell me, seems to be much deeper than this years draft.

A player who played predominantly VFL and only got offered a one year basic contract is borderline delisted. Whilst I’m happy to pay 46 for him, it’s still very generous. In that we could of offered a fourth rounder for those reasons above.

Maybe GC have said we want a pick in the 30’s for Chol now and this has changed stance for them thinking they will price something better from us but they will be mistaken.

I hope we don’t trade out of next year, which from what my recruiting mates tell me, seems to be much deeper than this years draft.
Heard that before. Every. Single. Year.

WITH the 2022 AFL Draft now behind us, it is time for clubs and fans alike to turn their attention to the 2023 crop. Hailed as a potential super draft, next year’s prospects look like an exciting bunch with a typically strong top-end, and a good blend of smalls and talls.

Next minute.....Most clubs won't want a pick after 40.

No exactly a VFL player, 20 games in his first year, 16 second and only 12 last year granted. He had such a good first year I think maybe they are hoping a change will turn things around, and we are so desperate for another forward. Time will tell.

We could have been a bit more aggressive in our trading of a player or two to get back in the draft.

Heard that before. Every. Single. Year.

Next minute.....Most clubs won't want a pick after 40.

Yeah that’s from the media and vested interest people. My info is from actual recruiters. They told me this years draft top end is very good. Evens out after pick 10-12 and comes to an abrupt stop after 40-50. There could be some gems later on (there always is) but playing percentages this is what they feel.

They think next years draft will go to 60 picks at least from this far out. Depth for KP is strong as well.

If we are gonna go hard in a draft this would be the one although we may look to find Lynch replacement also.

Blair has some work to do.

except this is a shallow draft that we clearly don’t rate

It’s shallow but I wouldn’t be against getting another one inside 30. There’s talent around then.

Still trade week hasn’t started and maybe a guy they rated at 40 will surprise them at the Draft Combine which is currently going on so they may feel they need to do something else. Beauty about it all is the main plan will be in place but it will be fluid.

They tend to do the recruitment in cycles.
One year was the defence strategy, ie Gibcus.
The next was readymade midfielders.
Logic dictates this year will be forwards, I think is a ruck is necessary too.

Please, pies have a great system which allow their players to play to their strengths, much like we did in the past. Are you saying pies fwds you mentioned are considerably better than lynch, Bolton, Martin, taranto? M Rioli, could impact as much as hill I have no doubt, he’s a few years behind in development though, Sampson I believe is going to be a very good ruck/fwd. Bauer has scope to be a player.
I’m telling you a good coach with a good system could change things right around, and who knows if we aren’t a year away from landing a big FA key fwd once Dusty money is off the books?
Who thought giants were anything other than bottom 4 12 months ago?

Things can change very quickly.

We desperately need a ryan or kosi to be a consistent force or breakout thus year or we are scrwwed. Lunch is an A grade forward but his body is not reliable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please, pies have a great system which allow their players to play to their strengths, much like we did in the past. Are you saying pies fwds you mentioned are considerably better than lynch, Bolton, Martin, taranto? M Rioli, could impact as much as hill I have no doubt, he’s a few years behind in development though, Sampson I believe is going to be a very good ruck/fwd. Bauer has scope to be a player.
I’m telling you a good coach with a good system could change things right around, and who knows if we aren’t a year away from landing a big FA key fwd once Dusty money is off the books?
Who thought giants were anything other than bottom 4 12 months ago?

Things can change very quickly.
Taranto is not a forward. That’s been abundantly clear. His skills aren’t good enough.

MRJ is never going to be better then Hill I can nearly guarantee that.

Martin and Bolton are in my opinion the best attacking combination in the competition. Problem is that Dustin’s on his last legs.

Lynch is also in my opinion the best key forward in the competition when healthy. But also…probably 3 seasons max left.

Outside of these three the cupboards are completely bare. Hopefully we can see a Judson Clarke or Seth Campbell develop into something. But at the moment our attack is a huge weakness

If Lynch does in fact start full training just after Christmas as expected, we should be alright. Lynch plus two of Ryan, Kosi and Bauer will play every week. Gibcus is another option if need be.

We'll need to draft another though.
Archie May come on down

You are being a bit generous. Hill has been good only before his day out, although he is a natural forward for sure. Elliot has always been very good all round. Sidebottom rarely goes forward, DeGoey mainly a mid these days. I like McCreery's pace but he only kicked 17 goals in 25 games and Ginnivan spent a good deal of the year in the VFL.

The reasons why Colliingwood's forward line functions well is because it isn't hampered by role playing, they have a green light to do as they please, and their midfield is so dominant that the ball comes in their so often. Having said that, our forward line was just about the worst in the league last year, so not really something to measure against.

lol, our forward line was that bad compared to other areas

They tend to do the recruitment in cycles.
One year was the defence strategy, ie Gibcus.
The next was readymade midfielders.
Logic dictates this year will be forwards, I think is a ruck is necessary too.

Who says Gibcus cannot play forward and where will Balta slot in?

Really we have time to get best available and use the versatility of our players. Naughton has signed a long deal, if he still plays forward Bulldogs could break apart as a list

Pretty sure I said in an earlier post that our forward line was about the worst in the league this year.

Doesn't make Collingwood's any better.
We have a better forward line than GWS, Freo, Collingwood, Melbourne, North, Hawthorn, Port, Gold Coast, Swans, West Coast, St Kilda, Essendon, this year off the top of my head

Pies forward line is that good Hill had to have his best game ever to get over Brisbane and Fagan do nothing about it, as well as Crisp and De Goey kick goals from outside of 50

Our defence is missing Rance more than our forward line is missing Lynch for starters

Having said that have to recruit best available because we are a fair way off it anyway

Last edited:
We have a better forward line than GWS, Freo, Collingwood, Melbourne, North, Hawthorn, Port, Gold Coast, Swans, West Coast, St Kilda, Essendon, this year off the top of my head

Pies forward line is that good Hill had to have his best game ever to get over Brisbane and Fagan do nothing about it, as well as Crisp and De Goey kick goals from outside of 50

Our defence is missing Rance more than our forward line is missing Lynch for starters

Having said that have to recruit best available because we are a fair way off it anyway
No we don't. Jack was finished. Miller probably played the next most games as a key and he was pretty awful overall. Ryan had one of two half decent games. Cumberland, well he couldn't get a game. Bauer played a couple of nothing games. We threw Vlastuin down there a couple of times and was okay. Cotchin did not much as a forward. MRJ, Coulthard, Soldo, Graham, Pickett, Clarke, Sonsie, were all pretty poor. Mansell played about 10 games to many as a forward. Baker was okay, Taranto when he rested kicked a few. Martin was okay but really came good more in the middle of the ground. Bolton had to be used mainly in the middle as well.

Our forward line was awful.
North having Larkey on it's own is better than ours last year.

No we don't. Jack was finished. Miller probably played the next most games as a key and he was pretty awful overall. Ryan had one of two half decent games. Cumberland, well he couldn't get a game. Bauer played a couple of nothing games. We threw Vlastuin down there a couple of times and was okay. Cotchin did not much as a forward. MRJ, Coulthard, Soldo, Graham, Pickett, Clarke, Sonsie, were all pretty poor. Mansell played about 10 games to many as a forward. Baker was okay, Taranto when he rested kicked a few. Martin was okay but really came good more in the middle of the ground. Bolton had to be used mainly in the middle as well.

Our forward line was awful.
North having Larkey on it's own is better than ours last year.

Jack was not finished.

Cumberland may well be not good enough, Taranto was good, Baker was more handy than in the backline, Dusty was useful, and Bolton is pretty handy to.

Buaer is showing things and Balta did a few useful things and Gibcus could still do something yet

We might end up recruiting some forwards given the lack of depth in the draft but our bigger issues are midfield and backline

Talking about Bolton in the midfield highlights how weak our midfield is in some respects

Last edited:
Jack was not finished.

Cumberland may well be not good enough, Taranto was good, Baker was more handy than in the backline, Dusty was useful, and Bolton is pretty handy to.

Buaer is showing things and Balta did a few useful things and Gibcus could still do something yet

We might end up recruiting some forwards given the lack of depth in the draft but our bigger issues are midfield and backline

Talking about Bolton in the midfield highlights how weak our midfield is in some respects
I have not problem really with our forward line going forward providing Lynch comes good, but this year no.

FF:Cumberland, Lynch, Baker
HF: Gibcus, Kosinski, Martin/Bolton

Hopefully one or two of Coulthard, Clarke, MRJ, Sonsie, Bauer, Campbell come good and give us a bit of ground level presence.

Last edited:
I have not problem really with our forward line going forward providing Lynch comes good, but this year no.

FF:Cumberland, Lynch, Baker
HF: Gibcus, Kosinski, Martin/Bolton

Hopefully one or two of Coulthard, Clarke, MRJ, Sonsie, Campbell come good and give us a bit of ground level presence.

Cumberland has not made it yet and Kosi could play back given our defensive problems

Back