Strategy We need a key forward

WHOS OUR FF SOLUTION?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jay Schulz did alright at Port Adelaide and he was a fringe player at Richmond.
Yeah, but the success rate isn't flash when you look at vic jesus and the cholster, even going further back there was stu edwards (traded to Melbourne), matty francis (Collingwood), plapp (st kilda). Many of those are ruck/forward to be fair.

Maybe im forgetting a few, though ottens and hogg of course weren't fringe players.

I've said it before and I'll say it again if Ugle Hagan stays at Bulldogs I'd be poaching Sam Darcy. With Naughton, Lobb, Ugle and now Croft his opportunities aren't looking great. At Punt Rd he's guaranteed to be played week in week out. He couldn't ask huge coin and if he's not getting regular games a pick around 15 should be fair for both teams. He'd already have3 years development in him too. No chance GWS let Cadman go they moved heaven and earth to swap a motza of picks to get pick 1. He'll end up signing a ridiculous overpriced contract based on potential.

I've said it before and I'll say it again if Ugle Hagan stays at Bulldogs I'd be poaching Sam Darcy. With Naughton, Lobb, Ugle and now Croft his opportunities aren't looking great. At Punt Rd he's guaranteed to be played week in week out. He couldn't ask huge coin and if he's not getting regular games a pick around 15 should be fair for both teams. He'd already have3 years development in him too. No chance GWS let Cadman go they moved heaven and earth to swap a motza of picks to get pick 1. He'll end up signing a ridiculous overpriced contract based on potential.
Would do it. They're playing Darcy down back just to squeeze games into him. Would take a fair bit to prize him out of there though, he's rusted on doggies obviously. We'd have to pays overs in $ to make a move attractive.

Dogs are 100% the team in strife when it comes to Cap and retention of talls.

Dogs are 100% the team in strife when it comes to Cap and retention of talls.
they are, but getting F/S out of clubs isn't easy, unless they are sh!t, then what's the point.

The only good F/S I can think of that swapped clubs was Josh Kennedy at the swans

I wouldn't be surprised to see them move on Lobb before the F/S boys.
And WA Clubs will have a real crack at English IMO, so he might fall before the F/S, and English is someone I don't think we need

they are, but getting F/S out of clubs isn't easy, unless they are sh!t, then what's the point.

The only good F/S I can think of that swapped clubs was Josh Kennedy at the swans

And WA Clubs will have a real crack at English IMO, so he might fall before the F/S, and English is someone I don't think we need
agree with all, but Naughton, Jamara and Darcy surely cant all fit, its not fair :(

Ugle Hagan's next contract will be $1,000,000 a year

nothing surer

Add GAJ, HShaw and JDaniher to that list.

Would do it. They're playing Darcy down back just to squeeze games into him. Would take a fair bit to prize him out of there though, he's rusted on doggies obviously. We'd have to pays overs in $ to make a move attractive.
Like I said if Ugle goes we're no chance and they reckon Sydney will overinflate his contract so hopefully they make Bulldogs pay through the nose. All I know is they've got Naughton going nowhere, if Ugle stays he's going nowhere, Lobb ain't getting big bucks to play Magoo's, then you've got Darcy and Croft. That's 5 KPF so their stocks are completely stacked. Croft isn't expecting much opportunity for the next few years. So realistically if anyone will get frustrated and seek opportunities elsewhere it's Darcy.

If by end of this season he's still twiddling his thumbs it'd be sheer incompetence on Blair Hartley to not try seduce him. Realistically he couldn't command huge $$$'s but getting guaranteed games at a big successful club would be more appealing plus Croft might start playing well in Magoo's. Stealing a F/S who was tipped as number 1 pick would need to pay more than slight overs. But would be the heist of all time and sort out our Lynch replacement. Better than using our 1st rounder next year to draft a KPF then waiting 3 years to see if they're any good.

We only need a few stars to align like Ugle extending, no injuries to their starting options and Darcy again getting limited gametime. He's not gonna wait 8 years for Naughton to finish up so might as well get in early. Maybe they need some HBF we can straight swap a couple?

Add GAJ, HShaw and JDaniher to that list.
Nick Davis - son of Craig (flag at 2nd club), Tom Mitchell - Barry (flag at 3rd), Rhyce Shaw - Ray (flag at 2nd), Mitch Morton - Noel (flag at 3rd)…
Good trivia…😂

WCE will have a crack at English. Freo just signed Jackson to a king's ransom and still have Darcy. No way in hell they pursue English having just seen the spectacular failure of Grundy/ Gawn. Besides English just missed the last flag at the kennel and on paper they should be challenging for a flag for another 4-5 years. It's doubtful WCE bounce back before English retires so badly have they managed their list.

17 teams are targeting Ben King and no doubt his management will let a few believe they're the chosen one. Tiges need to think outside the box and make moves before other teams trump us. To add a twist of kismet, Darcy's godfather is none other than former champion Bulldog Leon Cameron. Who also left the kennel to go to Punt Rd.

"Callum Twomey
@CalTwomey
GWS might've wished for the godfather-godson rule...

A quirk of this year's draft: Giants coach Leon Cameron is Sam Darcy's godfather. GWS will weigh up bidding on Darcy, the Western Bulldogs father-son selection, with pick No.2.
@AFLcomau"

We got lucky with Lynch by having his mates Caddy and Prestia and being the premier destination club at that time. We won't be so lucky with Ben King. Targeting Darcy creates our own luck.

WCE will have a crack at English. Freo just signed Jackson to a king's ransom and still have Darcy. No way in hell they pursue English having just seen the spectacular failure of Grundy/ Gawn. Besides English just missed the last flag at the kennel and on paper they should be challenging for a flag for another 4-5 years. It's doubtful WCE bounce back before English retires so badly have they managed their list.

17 teams are targeting Ben King and no doubt his management will let a few believe they're the chosen one. Tiges need to think outside the box and make moves before other teams trump us. To add a twist of kismet, Darcy's godfather is none other than former champion Bulldog Leon Cameron. Who also left the kennel to go to Punt Rd.

"Callum Twomey
@CalTwomey
GWS might've wished for the godfather-godson rule...

A quirk of this year's draft: Giants coach Leon Cameron is Sam Darcy's godfather. GWS will weigh up bidding on Darcy, the Western Bulldogs father-son selection, with pick No.2.
@AFLcomau"

We got lucky with Lynch by having his mates Caddy and Prestia and being the premier destination club at that time. We won't be so lucky with Ben King. Targeting Darcy creates our own luck.

"Sam Darcy to Richmond" does not even bear discussion. Wtf are you even on about? It is basically like someone starting "Nick Daicos to Richmond" talk and expecting to be taken seriously. You are surely trolling.

"Sam Darcy to Richmond" does not even bear discussion. Wtf are you even on about? It is basically like someone starting "Nick Daicos to Richmond" talk and expecting to be taken seriously. You are surely trolling.
He’s on another planet. Everything richo please breed says i would classify as baiting. I’m guessing he’s a narcissist judging by the grandiose tone of his posts and his vitriol when questioned. He’s the only poster I have blocked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s on another planet. Everything richo please breed says i would classify as baiting. I’m guessing he’s a narcissist judging by the grandiose tone of his posts and his vitriol when questioned. He’s the only poster I have blocked.

I am a paranoid conspiracy theorist at the best of times. But I suspect some of these type of posters are on the website payroll and their job is simply to generate pointless discussion with oppositional posts. Sort of like the Kane Cornes mainstream media model.

Whether this is true or not, your decision to block this poster is a good one, imo.

Yep, one of only two or three across 20+ years for me. Just don't need their bollocks in my life. And then there's another few I routinely just scroll past.

There are 4 opposition players I'd be hoping Blair is putting work into for the end of 2024.

1. Todd Marshall - just turned 25, will have over 100 games to his name by seasons end and would be an ideal player to come in and be the Lynch replacement. It won't be easy to get him out of Port given all they did for him during a difficult time with his parents passing away over the last 6 years. If we could land him as a restricted free agent and upgrade our picks in the draft to get multiple R1 picks it would be a great way to fill some holes in the list.

2. Ben King - turns 24 middle of next year and will be close to 100 games if he can put together a full season. Like Marshall he's an ideal player to come in and be the long term Lynch replacement. The issue with King is that the Suns will want a haul to let him leave and I'm not sure we're in a position to be putting all our eggs into one basket so to speak and giving up a swag of draft picks to get him.

3. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - by the end of 2024 Ugle-Hagan could be the most sought after KPF being that he'll be 22 years old, about 70 games to his name and coming off a 50-60 goal season. Much like King, the Dogs will want a haul to part ways to him, but he would be our KPF for the next decade.

4. Aaron Cadman - by the end of 2024 Cadman will be 20 years old with about 25-30 games to his name. He could come in and play second fiddle to Lynch for a couple of years before being handed the reigns as the number 1 KPF. Like Ugle-Hagan & King it will likely cost a bit to get him across but again he's a likely decade long investment that fills a very big hole that needs addressing.

If we can land one of them and still maintain some draft capital we could address a few list needs immediately and give Yze the chance to enter his 2nd year with a well structured list to make an immediate impact.

There are 4 opposition players I'd be hoping Blair is putting work into for the end of 2024.

1. Todd Marshall - just turned 25, will have over 100 games to his name by seasons end and would be an ideal player to come in and be the Lynch replacement. It won't be easy to get him out of Port given all they did for him during a difficult time with his parents passing away over the last 6 years. If we could land him as a restricted free agent and upgrade our picks in the draft to get multiple R1 picks it would be a great way to fill some holes in the list.

2. Ben King - turns 24 middle of next year and will be close to 100 games if he can put together a full season. Like Marshall he's an ideal player to come in and be the long term Lynch replacement. The issue with King is that the Suns will want a haul to let him leave and I'm not sure we're in a position to be putting all our eggs into one basket so to speak and giving up a swag of draft picks to get him.

3. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - by the end of 2024 Ugle-Hagan could be the most sought after KPF being that he'll be 22 years old, about 70 games to his name and coming off a 50-60 goal season. Much like King, the Dogs will want a haul to part ways to him, but he would be our KPF for the next decade.

4. Aaron Cadman - by the end of 2024 Cadman will be 20 years old with about 25-30 games to his name. He could come in and play second fiddle to Lynch for a couple of years before being handed the reigns as the number 1 KPF. Like Ugle-Hagan & King it will likely cost a bit to get him across but again he's a likely decade long investment that fills a very big hole that needs addressing.

If we can land one of them and still maintain some draft capital we could address a few list needs immediately and give Yze the chance to enter his 2nd year with a well structured list to make an immediate impact.
Short term solutions that we sell the farm for only really work if the list is in a position to target a flag like we did with Lynch, even though we got him on the cheap.

There is no point paying what it would cost to get any of these blokes given we'll just end up playing whack'a'mole with the other holes in our list.

The best approach is using the significant draft capital we have in 2024 to move up the order, have two first round goes and two second round goes and build the list, including tall forwards, that way. That way you also get a consolidated group at the same age, at the same stage of development that can lift you back into premiership contention and keep you there for a prolonged period.

I think people are too focused on other sports where a single player makes a much more significant difference (such as the NBA given there are 5 on court) and think that all problems can be solved by a 'big signing'. All of the blokes you've listed would make us a better side, but none of them are making us a premiership favourite.

Lets draft our own and develop them. When we're making prelims regularly, then we might want to think about what the last little push is we need to get over the line.

Short term solutions that we sell the farm for only really work if the list is in a position to target a flag like we did with Lynch, even though we got him on the cheap.

There is no point paying what it would cost to get any of these blokes given we'll just end up playing whack'a'mole with the other holes in our list.

The best approach is using the significant draft capital we have in 2024 to move up the order, have two first round goes and two second round goes and build the list, including tall forwards, that way. That way you also get a consolidated group at the same age, at the same stage of development that can lift you back into premiership contention and keep you there for a prolonged period.

I think people are too focused on other sports where a single player makes a much more significant difference (such as the NBA given there are 5 on court) and think that all problems can be solved by a 'big signing'. All of the blokes you've listed would make us a better side, but none of them are making us a premiership favourite.

Lets draft our own and develop them. When we're making prelims regularly, then we might want to think about what the last little push is we need to get over the line.
Marshall is a free agent. All he'd cost is coin, and we will have plenty.

None of these are what I'd call short term solutions. Even Marshall at 25 has a good 8 years in him, while Ugle-Hagan & Cadman are likely to be around for a decade plus. If we could get either of them for something along the lines of a R1 pick & R2 pick plus steak knives it still leaves us in position to continue to build around them.

This isn't about recruiting one guy and expecting them to be the difference in whether we become a contender or not, what it is about though is filling a big hole in our list and getting a highly rated player that could instantly step into the line up while we still have the likes of Martin and Lynch running around, could help us make an unexpected run at a flag.

With our draft capital for 2024 there is no reason why we couldn't target one of these players, then target the best available talent in the draft to continue filling holes. Simply relying on draft picks isn't the way to build a premiership list, you need to bring in established talent as well and right now established KPF talent it the most pressing need on our list.

Problem is he'll cost 2 early 1st rounders and $10million....
Out of contract end of 2024 and i would pay him $10 mil over 7 years
Salary cap will be increasing and players like Marra would be worth the 2 x 1st rounders (unless we have a top 5 pick then 1 and a 2nd rounder.

Out of contract end of 2024 and i would pay him $10 mil over 7 years
Salary cap will be increasing and players like Marra would be worth the 2 x 1st rounders (unless we have a top 5 pick then 1 and a 2nd rounder.
I'd rather get Marshall as a free agent and take 2 top 10 picks to the draft personally.

Back