We need more diversity in the commentary box

Remove this Banner Ad

Didnt hear the call so .... but Dunstall has lived in Melb for the last 30 years, Reiwoldt 20 years & Moons about the same - is that 100% of their working life, inside the Melbourne bubble?
Most AFL media jobs will be in Melbourne.

Whilst this is not the point of thus thread, I do often wonder why there is not one Aboriginal person in the mainstream AFL media.

No commentary, no Crocmedia media, no print media.

Why?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Gilbert McAdam?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

NRL commentary is far better; don't feel some need to try to get the underdogs up, and they tend to play down minor on-field 'controversies' rather than hype them up into a 'story'. Far less hysterical and more clear-eyed.

NRL commentators are way more biased though. I mean you think the AFL is bad, the NRL is considerably worse in that regard.

This STK-WCE game is insufferable. The Victorian bias is incredible. We need to breakup the Victorian monopoly on AFL media.

Thoughts?
No we need competent broadcasters who know what they're doing. It doesn't really matter where they come from.

Whilst this is not the point of thus thread, I do often wonder why there is not one Aboriginal person in the mainstream AFL media.

No commentary, no Crocmedia media, no print media.

Why?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
All for it but who would you suggest?
Gill McAdam has been tried before but he is noticeably terrible at it.

Didnt hear the call so .... but Dunstall has lived in Melb for the last 30 years, Reiwoldt 20 years & Moons about the same - is that 100% of their working life, inside the Melbourne bubble?
What the * does that even mean haha what a weird sook after losing a game

NRL commentators are way more biased though. I mean you think the AFL is bad, the NRL is considerably worse in that regard.

really? I haven't picked up on that so far (moved up North a 3 or so years ago now and have been watching more NRL that I had previously).

favourite bit of NRL commentary for 2021 so far (upon being puzzled over a penalty): ''he was well within his rights to rag-doll him..."

really? I haven't picked up on that so far (moved up North a 3 or so years ago now and have been watching more NRL that I had previously).

favourite bit of NRL commentary for 2021 so far (upon being puzzled over a penalty): ''he was well within his rights to rag-doll him..."
That's because NRL aren't ashamed to do commentary that men like, the AFLs more concerned with what Mums who glance at the screen twice a game think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they become Malbun dickhead sycophants because they live in the bubble or are they forced to become Malbun dickhead sycophants to live in the bubble?

Hmmm, if i was to guess, you’d be the type who would get homesick on a day trip to the Barossa Valley.

That's because NRL aren't ashamed to do commentary that men like, the AFLs more concerned with what Mums who glance at the screen twice a game think

I dunno, it's not even really as hyper-blokey as I thought it might be; it's actually just really well-drilled, they're informative without getting bogged down and as I've already said I just prefer their judgement in saving the hype for when it matters.

Ch7 is currently awful. Brayshaw does north games, Darcy does our games and BT is a moron. Way too much focus on stupid crap. They spent 5 mins the other night with the camera on a pigeon.

Ch7 should be throwing everything at Hudson and Papalia. Nathan brown is good on triple M as well - maybe time to join tv commentary?

OP bias aside, the quality of commentating in the AFL at the moment is beyond awful. Dumb ex players with poor vocabulary skills and poor analysis.

I've liked Jordan Lewis and Nick Riewoldt, but you could probably put a broom through the rest of them. Even the older guys are trash like Dwayne and Gerard Healy.

It's been a big problem for a long time. I miss Dennis :(

Way too many cases of ex-players/current board members etc commentating their old/own sides or arch rivals.

OP bias aside, the quality of commentating in the AFL at the moment is beyond awful. Dumb ex players with poor vocabulary skills and poor analysis.

I've liked Jordan Lewis and Nick Riewoldt, but you could probably put a broom through the rest of them. Even the older guys are trash like Dwayne and Gerard Healy.

It's been a big problem for a long time. I miss Dennis :(

Way too many cases of ex-players/current board members etc commentating their old/own sides or arch rivals.

Agreed. Surprised we are 2 pages in and no one has specifically mentioned Jobe Watson. Fair bit of hubris in that appointment, has no right being in a commentary box.

CV essentially reads as: (in order of importance)

1. Tim Watson's son
2. Former Essendon captain
3. Above average footballer
4. Real Estate agent
5. Barista
6. (convicted drug cheat)

Hamish has to be the worst. Beyond awful. Happy clapping every single team no matter how s**t they are. Brother of the AFL ceo - you actually couldn’t make it up. Struggles to get through a broadcast without a reference to Isak Rankine. Obviously a directive from big bro to pump up the GCS at every opportunity.

I watched 20 minutes of A league soccer yestetday, Mark Bosnich on commentary was basically coaching Melbourne Victory, would say it was the most embarassing broadcast i've ever seen.

Is someone sooking about the pro-Saints commentary in the second half because their team went to water?

Why is it always a "Victorian" thing? Don't these Eagles fans realise the commentators do the exact same thing when they're in Perth, Adelaide, Sydney or Brisbane and the home team gets on the roll with their home crowd roaring?

Cry me a river...
The are very quick to forget about flogs like Lachie Reid aren’t that. Compete sooks when the umps ain’t helping them to the finish line. I wonder how many of them complained about their toast being burnt this morning?

I was hoping the diversity being referred to meant less ex-players in the box.

I'm down with that.

It's a funny thing that ex-players keep being recruited as commentators, and yet the commentators throughout history that are most respected weren't ex-players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back