Certified Legendary Thread We need to make it a priority to get a number 1 ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sam Jacobs isn't getting any younger.

Reilly obrien I hope proves me wrong!!... but what I've seen of him i can honestly say he is the worst afl ruckman I have ever seen. Simply out of his depth. Can barely kick a ball and gets slaughtered in the ruck. Sam Jacobs going down is truly our Achilles heel, no matter how much hate he gets, he is infinitely better than obrien and we need to delist him, make Jacobs number 2 ruck and do whatevers necessary to obtain an established ruckman next year. Nothing we can do for this year.

Thoughts on obrien pre and post match is why the thread is created. Feel free to change your opinion after getting a full look at him tomorrow. But I'm predicting he is going to get masssacared out there.

Last edited:
Un, he hasn’t played a game of AFL in almost three years, so I’m not sure where you’re getting ‘worst AFL ruckman’ from

Give him a bloody chance at least lol

Let's say he left an impression. Let's see what the consensus is after tomorrow night. I'm tipping Jenkins will have to take over which is not ideal.

Reilly obrien I hope proves me wrong!!... but what I've seen of him i can honestly say he is the worst afl ruckman I have ever seen. Simply out of his depth. Can barely kick a ball and gets slaughtered in the ruck. Sam Jacobs going down is truly our Achilles heel, no matter how much hate he gets, he is infinitely better than obrien and we need to delist him, make Jacobs number 2 ruck and do whatevers necessary to obtain an established ruckman next year. Nothing we can do for this year.

Thoughts on obrien pre and post match is why the thread is created. Feel free to change your opinion after getting a full look at him tomorrow. But I'm predicting he is going to get masssacared out there.
This has got to be the worse post I’ve seen. You obviously haven’t watched him play too often. He held his own in the 2 afl games he’s played and one if them was against Sandi. He’s a very good ruckman with elite endurance. He has problems with sets shots but field kicking is fine. He hunts the ball after the bounce or throw in. He’s 23 years old and the two years before his last two injury years he’s Ben in the top 3 rucks in th Sanfl

This has got to be the worse post I’ve seen. You obviously haven’t watched him play too often. He held his own in the 2 afl games he’s played and one if them was against Sandi. He’s a very good ruckman with elite endurance. He has problems with sets shots but field kicking is fine. He hunts the ball after the bounce or throw in. He’s 23 years old and the two years before his last two injury years he’s Ben in the top 3 rucks in th Sanfl
I am keen to see how Keiran Strachan goes this year in the SANFL. Bicks might be able to shed more light on his potential with Strachan having come from Victoria

The way clubs now think about rucks is if you don't have a top 4 ruckman, then your ruckman isn't a priority. You can either build your strategy out of winning the tap, or by making the ruck contests as random as possible and winning the ground ball. If you are going to dedicate your preseason to practice playing to a winning tap, then you need to know you will likely win the tap almost every game, most importantly in finals. So you need to know that there is only 1 or 2 ruckman in the league who can stop you from winning the tap consistently.

We're not going to find a ruckman that good in the near future, and if we could, they cost a fortune. So we need to be a side who just tries to stop the opposition from doing what they want in the ruck and make ruck contests as random as possible. We have a few ruckman who are capable of doing that so it's about finding the guy who offers the most outside of the ruck contest while making as many ruck contests as possible a nil-all draw.

If we do want a winning tap ruckman they're unlikely to be playing in the AFL already, they'll be going to this list https://basketball.realgm.com/national/countries/2/Australia/ncaa-players and be sorting by height and then working from the top down to see who is interested.

Last premierships teams went without an A grade ruckman. So did all of Hawthorn’s flag teams recently. Boyd rucked a bit for the Dogs as well. Highly overrated role.

One way of looking at it. But then you throw a Grundy, Natainui or Gawn into your side and you've got an instant mobile marking target. Our kicking in from the goal square has been "kick it to Sauce" for years now. Not an overrated role when it comes to situations like that, which happens many times a game.

With your track record, RoB is more likely to be the new Dean Cox

It would be nice to get Brodie Grundy if we could pull it off. But no way in the world would I do that if it involved downgrading pick 1 (if we have it). Take it to the draft fully in tact.

Not sure if we can afford Grundy’s contract either. Hard to see us having the cash after just loading up on big contracts to Sloane, Lynch and Tex. Other than Grundy I don’t think there is much to even warrant a seperate thread like this. Just another trade target. Draper might be the one that may want to come home and might be decent.

Not sure the OP has an clue about about ROB.

He was decent as a 20/21 year old during his two games in 2016.

Has dominated the SANFL since. His kicking has improved.

Having said that IF we can use Carlton's first pick to get Grundy, you do it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure the OP has an clue about about ROB.

He was decent as a 20/21 year old during his two games in 2016.

Has dominated the SANFL since. His kicking has improved.

Having said that IF we can use Carlton's first pick to get Grundy, you do it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I tend to agree that we just need to give ROB a chance and see what he can do.

People seem to forget that Sauce was 23 when he debuted for us (which is the same age that O'Brien is)

Big guys always take longer to develop so O'Brien is most probably just hitting the make it or break age for a ruckman.

With your track record, RoB is more likely to be the new Dean Cox
Track record of hartigan being a spud and needing to be dropped, consequently being dropped, predicting our GF loss, predicting mcgovern, dangerfield Cameron all leaving? Which track record are you referring to in a negative way? Examples like above where I was wrong would be great. Or just stick to whether or not you agree we need to prioritise getting a number 1 ruck, and going on your track record I'm likely to be spot on about obrien being terrible if you think he's a player.

Yep slightly worse than his failed Hartigan thread...

Un, he hasn’t played a game of AFL in almost three years, so I’m not sure where you’re getting ‘worst AFL ruckman’ from

The Adelaide board has several posters that would rival that Alberton mob for clueless...No prizes for guessing who one of them is...

I'd sure love to see the stats behind such insightful statements as:

"worst afl ruckman"
"can barely kick a ball"
"gets slaughtered in the ruck"
"Jacobs is infinitely better than O'Brien"

Literally the only correct call he has made is "Jacobs isn't getting any younger". Huge.

I personally can't wait for mick to spend the entire crows game on BF talking himself on the Hartigan and now ROB threads whenever they do anything.

He also said the he's worst AFL ruckman "he's ever seen" which is even more baffling.

Obviously he never saw the 2 games that John Meesen played for us. Not to mention guys like Aaron Keating, Lucas Herbert, Matthew Golding etc.

He's not even remotely close to the worst ruckman we've ever had let alone the worst of all time in the AFL.

ROB hasn't shown a lot yet, but as we have seen over the years with Mumford,Goldstein,Hudson, jacobs, ryder none were good ruckmen in their early days its no guarantee ROB will perform but even Im not writing him off just yet

Do we use our number 1 draft pick to get a ruck? Any good prospects out there this year?

Probably not, the first round is not the place to be searching for rucks. Sure if a gun one happens to be there, grab him, but a genuine quality ruckman is maybe drafted from the 1st round every 3 years and even then you need to have the right pick.

Unless you are lucky enough to have one fall into your lap in the first round, you either draft them later with an eye to developing them for 3-4 years, or you go the trade/FA/mature aged routes.

Hopefully ROB can perform, because we’ve put a lot of faith in him at this stage.

He also said the he's worst AFL ruckman "he's ever seen" which is even more baffling.

Obviously he never saw the 2 games that John Meesen played for us. Not to mention guys like Aaron Keating, Lucas Herbert, Matthew Golding etc.

He's not even remotely close to the worst ruckman we've ever had let alone the worst of all time in the AFL.

Brad Moran
Gus Graham
Lowden

Far out we've had some shockers lol.

Brad Moran
Gus Graham
Lowden

Far out we've had some shockers lol.

Seeing those names has reminded me of another shocker

Jack Osborn

I saw a few games at SANFL level and he was beyond hopeless. I think I even said back in the day that he had a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting a game and Gus Graham looked like Dean Cox when compared to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back