Certified Legendary Thread We need to make it a priority to get a number 1 ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst ruckman ever? I certainly don't think he's the answer but how quickly people forget how diabolical some players were who got a game because they're tall. Cain Ackland? Paul Chambers? Fabian DeLuca (haha)?
Yeah, worst ruckman I can recall seeing at afl level imo is what I said. Small difference, but one worth noting apparently as some took issue with my wording so I rephrased it to make it clear. Not clear enough obviously.

Yep agree. The ball use has been horrible as has been the inability to pin an arm in the tackle that leads to the player getting hands free and handballing off and moving the play their way. We are nowhere near as good as we thought we were and are not going to be close to contending
Regardless, we are going to be needing a number 1 ruck in the next year or 2 when Jacobs is done and obrien isn't the answer.

There were rumours before the season started that Grundy had told Collingwood he was considering joining us in free agency, and that Collingwood were workshopping the idea of doing a deal built around the Carlton pick a year early to avoid weak compensation, but there's a non zero chance that's his manager playing the bigger contract offer game.

I am not sure what is more important, a lead ruck or a goal kicking electric small forward as IMHO, Eddie is done.

IMHO, both are equally important.

We've recruited goalkicking small forwards; we just refuse to play them.

We need a ruck, another intercept defender, another top end mid, and most of all, a key forward who can crash a pack.

Not really Geelong won the centre clearance count 13 -11, one of the big problems was Gibbs butchering his kicks into the forward line, many not under any real pressure....like 11 turnovers is just plain unacceptable for a player spruiked as being an elite ball user. Ball use by some of our senior players has been deplorable this season.
I think this stat is a bit misleading because Geelong got a few CCs that were of far higher quality than anything we got, and a lot of that was the ruck.

Rob wasnt the worst ive seen but he will definitively struggle against the top teams like tonight and ut will cost us the game occasionally

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geelong isn't a top team, and Rhys Stanley is in no way a top ruckman, and he was jumping 2 feet over O'Brien at every centre bounce.

Geelong isn't a top team, and Rhys Stanley is in no way a top ruckman, and he was jumping 2 feet over O'Brien at every centre bounce.
They certainly have been the in form team of the competition so far that have won their games in convincing fashion. Can't argue that point.

Stanley might not be a star but no one can deny that he is a very athletic player who can jump over the top of many players, let alone ROB who struggles to jump over a stubbie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were rumours before the season started that Grundy had told Collingwood he was considering joining us in free agency, and that Collingwood were workshopping the idea of doing a deal built around the Carlton pick a year early to avoid weak compensation, but there's a non zero chance that's his manager playing the bigger contract offer game.

Where did you hear these rumours? I ask, because I'm only familiar with Tom Rehn's very recent rumour, and some bigfooty conjecture.

Weren't you guys going to select Tim English in 2016? Only for Don Pyke to step in and tell the recruiters to get him another midfielder. Why aren't you playing Gallucci?

We've recruited goalkicking small forwards; we just refuse to play them.

We need a ruck, another intercept defender, another top end mid, and most of all, a key forward who can crash a pack.

Don't we have one of those currently playing in defence in the SANFL?

Weren't you guys going to select Tim English in 2016? Only for Don Pyke to step in and tell the recruiters to get him another midfielder. Why aren't you playing Gallucci?

Had a foot injury in the pre-season and is in the SANFL to gain fitness. After last nights performance, assuming he gets through the SANFL match this weekend I reckon he'll be back for round 4.

The modern ruckman is basically a super athlete - one who can ruck and play in both defense or attack depending on team needs.
ROB needs to be better at kicking for goals, otherwise no point him clucking marks up forward and spraying them out of bounds! His effort is encouraging enough to warrant a few more games to see if this can be improved.

No full of s**t rumour. AFC coaches only has a say in the type of player they would like in the draft, they don't get the final decision, This was put in place early 2000's due to some Coaches overriding the selection process and stuffing it up. They do have a some say on releasing a players for trade

And Gallucci returning from injury and has to prove his match fitness.

I wonder if obrien will get a gig next week in the big league based on his performance on the weekend and all that development sanders and others mentioned he has made in the sanfl... And if the AFC have as much faith as those in here in obrien being the future number 1 ruck for us long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back