Certified Legendary Thread We need to make it a priority to get a number 1 ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

He seems to be a very good field kick. He’s hit multiple low stab passes on his few games this year. Then goes to s**t when he’s in front of goal!
Nerves probably. He's had a few shockers straight in front on the big stage so every time he's there again it would play on his mind. I have a good feeling he'll work his way out of that.

OP starts a thread saying how a player is rubbish and is the worst ruckman he’s ever seen. Expects everyone that disagrees to bow down to his superior AFL intelligence and apologise within a fortnight

OP returns in said fortnight, not to discuss the actual thread topic, but to tell someone that disagrees that he’s back on ignore for not discussing football topics....

1555938592119.gif

ROB’s game against the Suns was solid. He gets involved, tackles and his field kicking was good. He took some defensive marks and did his job in the ruck. Only needs to get over his goal kicking jitters. 5 games in he's improving each game. With Sauce out for a block of games real chance to stake his claim to stay in the side.

Last edited:

I could get used to watching ROB ruck in the next decade if Grundy isn't available. Probably is never going to be a star (in before he does, because rucks are weird), but a serviceable option who is willing to throw his weight around is always going have a lot of value to a side.

Nerves probably. He's had a few shockers straight in front on the big stage so every time he's there again it would play on his mind. I have a good feeling he'll work his way out of that.
For sure it’s nerves, his field kicking is decent.
Imagine at training having the squad (40 players) standing behind him watching him kick from a set shot.

Nerve wracking, now imagine 40,000 people watching, he’s shitting his pants but that’s okay because he’s barely played in front of so many people, he’ll work it out.

For a 23 year old only 5 games into his AFL career ROB is playing well.

He gave up 7cm and 10kg's to Witts on the weekend, I thought around the ground ROB was very good.

Witts has had a very good start to his year, in 2019 he is #1 ruck for total hitouts, and of the rucks that had played all 4 games coming into round 5 Witts was ranked 3rd in hitouts to advantage with an average of 11.8 per game behind Grundy on 12.3 and Gawn on 14.

This block of games Sauce is injured for is a brilliant opportunity for ROB to put his hand up and pressure Sauce.

I would still love to see us go after Grundy or similar next year. ROB is improving every game. Imagine having Grundy as 1st Ruck and ROB as 2nd ruck/forward. We'll have to start a new thread.......
"Death riding JJ".

For a 23 year old only 5 games into his AFL career ROB is playing well.

He gave up 7cm and 10kg's to Witts on the weekend, I thought around the ground ROB was very good.

Witts has had a very good start to his year, in 2019 he is #1 ruck for total hitouts, and of the rucks that had played all 4 games coming into round 5 Witts was ranked 3rd in hitouts to advantage with an average of 11.8 per game behind Grundy on 12.3 and Gawn on 14.

This block of games Sauce is injured for is a brilliant opportunity for ROB to put his hand up and pressure Sauce.
I thought ROB held his own against Witts. Especially early on. Got a bit tired as the quarters went on. A lot of the HOs Witts won against him were two handers where.bith players got near the ball. Witts did not dominate him.

Statistically Witts looked great. But I reckon he built up a few of those raw HO stats against Hberg. Would love a breakown of contests Witts won against ROB vs HBerg.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ROB was good I thought. Has a safe pair of hands taking some great marks, and his second efforts and tackling pressure are a million times better than sauce. Ruckmans bloom late so he should only get better

Yep.

Only 5 percent chance of him leaving Collingwood IMO. That is still IF.

We ain't getting Grundy but from what I have seen of RoB he has the potential to be as good as any other recent Premiership Ruckman ie Nankervis, Roughead, McEvoy.

I think I would.prefer the Blue Chip mid we can get with Carlton's first pick than trade it for Grundy.

Yep.

We ain't getting Grundy but from what I have seen of RoB he has the potential to be as good as any other recent Premiership Ruckman ie Nankervis, Roughead, McEvoy.

I think I would.prefer the Blue Chip mid we can get with Carlton's first pick than trade it for Grundy.

I would prefer a blue Chip KPF along the lines of Buddy, Carey, Dunstal,Locket, J Brown, Modra, N Reiwoldt, Lloyd, just someone who dominates

We may or may not have one in Fog too early to tell, he will get more games this year which is pretty good for a second year player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would prefer a blue Chip KPF along the lines of Buddy, Carey, Dunstal,Locket, J Brown, Modra, N Reiwoldt, Lloyd, just someone who dominates

We may or may not have one in Fog too early to tell, he will get more games this year which is pretty good for a second year player
Hberg?

Yep.

I tend to agree. I get the feeling Grundy is very happy at Collingwood and it would take an insane deal to get him out, especially at the end of this year where we'd need to trade with Collingwood. Would take minimum 2x first rounders including a top 5 pick.

I think we trade a second round pick to Richmond for Coleman-Jones; grab a premium mid with our first pick; and in 2020 trade two firsts to GCS for Lukosius.

ROB has played against 3 seasoned AFL ruckman and held his own (Stanley, Goldy & witts). He has a chance this week against an inexperienced ruck to have a big game and really start to make a claim for the no 1 ruck spot. I would rather take him on current efforts alone but selectors will need it to be embarrassingly obvious to keep sauce out.

I still think ruckman are overvalued and you can find a decent one pretty cheaply. I wouldn’t be coughing up for Grundy, I’d rather chuck money at an elite mid or KPF

Absolutely. I'm perfectly happy to go with a workmanlike ruck, whether that's ROB or somebody else, and spend our money and picks on more important stuff like decent mids and forwards. If we're going to spend in the vicinity of a million dollars a year on a player, I'd rather that be a blue-chip mid and just go with ROB in the ruck. As opposed to having a blue-chip Grundy type in the ruck tapping it down to a midfield stocked with a bunch of workmanlike CEY types.

ROB is one of the most critical cogs both short and long term.
If he falls over then kiss the year goodbye.
If he can be ultra competitive then it takes the pressure off trading in a proven ruckmen.

Carlton's 1st for the best mid is crucial. That would give us serious depth for a while.
If McAdam makes the grade then the forward line will look much more balanced especially without Jenkins.
Francis might be worth our 2nd as our KPD and marking intercept as our options are pretty limited.

Leaves pick 19 which could be used to trade in our bundled with a player to get higher top end talent.

Personally I think ROB will make it.

I thought ROB held his own against Witts. Especially early on. Got a bit tired as the quarters went on. A lot of the HOs Witts won against him were two handers where.bith players got near the ball. Witts did not dominate him.

Statistically Witts looked great. But I reckon he built up a few of those raw HO stats against Hberg. Would love a breakown of contests Witts won against ROB vs HBerg.

When watching the replay, I remember Witts stats flashing up on the screen. He'd had around 20 hitouts, with 1 to advantage, which tells me that when ROB wasn't winning the taps, he was at least making it very difficult for Witts to do anything with them.

I quite like what I've seen from ROB so far, he's shown improvement in each game he's played. He'll probably never be a dominant tap ruckman like prime Jacobs, but there's a lot more to being an effective ruckman in today's game, and he looks to have very good running power for a player his size, which will allow him to provide quite a bit around the ground.

We absolutely need another ruckman on our list, but if it's not Grundy (highly unlikely), then one or two developing in the two's with ROB taking over from Jacobs will have to do. In my opinion, there are two rucks in the league worth throwing the kitchen sink at, and they're Grundy and Gawn (even then, it's Grundy without even thinking about it for me). If it isn't either of those, I don't see it as a position worth spending much on in the way of picks or salary.

I still think ruckman are overvalued and you can find a decent one pretty cheaply. I wouldn’t be coughing up for Grundy, I’d rather chuck money at an elite mid or KPF

Grundy is a bit of a different kettle of fish though, as even if he never rucked, he is almost good enough to be a midfielder in his own right.

So having him is a big advantage around the ground.

You can only have so many rucks on your list. We currently have Jacobs, O'Brien, Hunter, Strachan, Himmelberg all around 200cm and while we are playing one at a time in the AFL side we have 4 sitting in the reserves. Anymore than that and our SANFL becomes more unbalanced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back