Roast We need to talk about Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you teach the composure part of the game? Feels like something that mostly comes naturally and he hasn’t adapted to the speed of AFL in the slightest.

You can teach players how to handball, kick, fitness, gameplan, structure, positioning etc. I'm not sure ball handling is a skill that can be taught at that age. It's like he's constantly playing with detergent on his hands and has been like it for 3 years.

There's parts of his game I like. He's tenacious, he tackles hard, he's a decent enough kick and can kick goals, he's got good pace. But I don't know where we can play him. He can't play in defence with hands like that. It just gives up goals. He can't play midfield as you have to have good hands for it to work.

Someone needs to roll a footy to him 10,000 times in the next 6 months and get him used to picking the ******* thing up without double/triple handling it

His first game was his best.

If I were Josh Carr I’d be throwing balls at those bouncy net things to improve his agility, anticipation and ball handling skills 30 hours per week

You can teach players how to handball, kick, fitness, gameplan, structure, positioning etc. I'm not sure ball handling is a skill that can be taught at that age. It's like he's constantly playing with detergent on his hands and has been like it for 3 years.

There's parts of his game I like. He's tenacious, he tackles hard, he's a decent enough kick and can kick goals, he's got good pace. But I don't know where we can play him. He can't play in defence with hands like that. It just gives up goals. He can't play midfield as you have to have good hands for it to work.

Someone needs to roll a footy to him 10,000 times in the next 6 months and get him used to picking the ******* thing up without double/triple handling it

Literally exactly what I said 10 seconds later.

Sure that Kelly guy with weird teeth from he’s can sort it out

That drill where you bounce the ball along the ground and the player has to come forward to pick it up should be all he does for the next month at training. Have 2 players come at him from the side with pressure and repeat.

More than happy to have Lockie spend an extended period in the SANFL.

We would get more out of putting games into Tom McCullam who probably isn't ready but I back him to at least offer as much as Lockie is giving and a significantly higher upside.

This won't happen whilst Ken is here.

You can't draw a line with sanfl form the structure of the side is laughable but I liked what I saw of him yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a bigger, faster Tom Logan.

But I'm not giving up on him yet.

I don’t think i’ve ever seen an AFL player with worse ball handling skills than him.
He is giving Simon Phillips a good run to take his title as the fastest fumbler and bumbler in the west. Impey challenged Phillips at one point.

Phillips ----> Impey ----> Jones.

When he played at WWT Jade Sheedy gave him a job on the oppo key forward, and usually was giving away 5 to 10cm height but he kept it simple and played a simple defensive game. He wont play on a KFP at AFL level.

Trouble is in the AFL he hasn't settled into one position and he just goes flat out at the ball which means he fumbles a lot because he isn't a naturally clean player. He needs a one on one coaching with a development coach.

Last edited:
There are lots of players on our list who are struggling right now but who I look forward to seeing under a new coach. Lachie isn't one of them. It's not Ken's fault he can't execute the most basic of skills. He doesn't have the requisite skill and talent to be an AFL footballer and he never will.

There are lots of players on our list who are struggling right now but who I look forward to seeing under a new coach. Lachie isn't one of them. It's not Ken's fault he can't execute the most basic of skills. He doesn't have the requisite skill and talent to be an AFL footballer and he never will.
He just cant take the ball without fumbling it, unfortunately not something that is likely to improve.
If he was built like butters, he'd be playing amateur league.

Rookie pick v pick 16. And I still prefer Tommy. What a waste of a pick, even in a s**t draft year
A young player playing in a poor system under a clueless coach... He's not where I hoped he would be, but FAR too early to put a line through him yet

His inability not to double grab has worried me from day one.
If he does not fix it he will be out of the AFL by the end of 2025.
It is probably the worst trait to have in today's football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back