We need to talk about Mundy

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
We already have our list management threads but I feel like this needs its own.

Snuff and others have brought it up before but what the **** are we going to do if he retires? Dude is a top 10 mid at the moment and nobody at Peel is close to replacing that.

Mitch is being held from his rightful place in the middle.
Serong, Andy and Cez will all keep getting better, but they are all contributing strongly already.
Tucker is inconsistent and keeps doing hamstrings.
Valente doesn't exist.
NOD can't even get the ball at half back for Peel.

If he decided that this year was his last, we get worse next year unless one of the younger guys goes nuts. Even then, nobody else that plays midfield is anywhere near the kick Mundy is.*

I am concerned about 2022 and 2023 and then in 2024-2026 Fyfe's output will be noticeably less as well.

Someone make me feel better about this.

* Valente doesn't count for obvious reasons

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s a good point. He has been the best player on the park on several Occasions for us this year. If there is one guy who could do that Tom Brady style play into your forties thing, it’s Mundy.
There’s no one remotely close to replacing him at Peel though. A classy midfielder is as much a draft need as a KPF now, to be honest.

Apr 18, 2011
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle
I guess the older blokes do fall off the cliff a bit but there's no signs so far from Mundy. At this rate you'd think he'd play on next year. I wonder once Logue gets some consistency in games played whether he moves up the ground a bit? Seems to have all the weapons bar durability.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Mundy has another year in him, Heath Chapman could be a shout for that role by 2023.
As discussed in other threads, I think most of us think he has scope up the ground but I think he is minimum 4 years off being anywhere near Mundy's level inside. He'll probably play at least 2 seasons down back.

It’s a good point. He has been the best player on the park on several Occasions for us this year. If there is one guy who could do that Tom Brady style play into your forties thing, it’s Mundy.
There’s no one remotely close to replacing him at Peel though. A classy midfielder is as much a draft need as a KPF now, to be honest.
Yes I agree but they are generally even harder to get than KPFs. Any highly rated ones go top 5. Also, we need the KPF first because they take longer and we'll need them in 3-4 years max.

Valente has some similar traits but dude can't even stay on the park.

Zach Merrett to come and join his brother over here?
Highly doubt it. We'd have to offer way more than everyone else (bar North).
Any free agents this year or next that could fill the bill?
The only players with similar qualities are Pendles, Bont and Kelly (fully fit). I don't like our chances with any and obvs Pendles is almost as old as Mundy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Ah then the decision at this years draft is open for discussion isn’t it?
If our Talls stay fit: Lobb, Tabs and Treacy and we continue to kick 80-100 points per game
If the defence holds up and Pearce and Hamling get fit again.

If Meek and Darcy continue the way they are.

do you take a KPF or an elite midfielder?
if David is still wanting to play again next year I’d take the KPF perhaps two of them (trade a future pick for a high second this year) add Motlop maybe

Then next year go hard on mids.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you're worrying too much, players can be replaced. We all thought the forward line would fall in a heap when Pav retired and it has been fine.

We just need to rookie list a shorter version of Tabs for the midfield then wait seven years for him to come good.
You're ****ing brilliant Cesoir. Was about to unload on you again. Didn't even read the second line initially.
👏

Mr Cheese

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Think the OP is on to something. I'm slightly concerned that due to the sudden increase in media love for Mundy that some team from the East is going to dangle a Buddy-esque 10yr contract in front of him, leaving us in the s**t and robbing us of Dave's prime years.

Joking aside, I'd actually be sick if I saw Mundy in another kit.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back