We need to talk about Mundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Cheese

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Still hoping my buddy valente comes good. Maybe plays 5 games this season, Mundy goes around in 2022, and there’s a natural transition of power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Quickening? That explains why Mundy and Valente can't play in the same side, there can be only one!

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
No replacing Mundy. Screw all the potential trade-in options too. Let's use that $ to retain and keep our own happy, the immediate options are all downgrades if they were to come in for Mundy anyways. Would have thought by the start of 2023, Mundy would have provided enough protection and space since 2018 (for our youngsters to develop and get experience) and for them to take that next step to cover his void and more. I think we already have someone who can end up similar to Mundy one day, who can weave through the contests in the middle and use the ball sublime by foot in Chapman. I'm backing him to be our next best i50 delivery.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
No replacing Mundy. Screw all the potential trade-in options too. Let's use that $ to retain and keep our own happy, the immediate options are all downgrades if they were to come in for Mundy anyways. Would have thought by the start of 2023, Mundy would have provided enough protection and space since 2018 (for our youngsters to develop and get experience) and for them to take that next step to cover his void and more. I think we already have someone who can end up similar to Mundy one day, who can weave through the contests in the middle and use the ball sublime by foot in Chapman. I'm backing him to be our next best i50 delivery.
Chapman & Young. Just because they play back during their development years, doesn’t mean they can’t go mid.
Someone has to play half back in juniors & tbh Mundys role is as the sweeper is as close to half back as your going to get in the middle of the ground.
Either of those 2 could develop into Mundys role.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was one of the stupid minority that didn't want him to play on this year, thank Christ he has, we could be 1-4 without him.
The argument is still the same though, if Tucker and Valente had uninjured runs would we want them running around at Peel and not getting AFL development? I get the onfield mentoring is valuable, and at present it's a moot point as no other mid is burning it up. But at some stage this year in the wet winter slog he'll look tired and slow, and then there's whether he will want to go out on his terms.
I said it's more likely he won't play in 2021 and was wrong, but I really don't want him to go on next year for the same reasons. Doesn't mean I don't love the bloke or want him around post retirement like Sandi.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mundy is a certain body type, (it's wonderful and it can't just be replaced by anyone), and he's got the skills and the flow and the smarts. He's turning into a grumpy old man though, the way he's tossing aside lesser beings who get in his space.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I used to be up for having Cripps run around in purple. For the joy of it. Now I'm looking at players like him and Merrit and thinking they're broken and we don't need them. Whoever ever replaces Mundy needs to go for at least a decade. I don't know if it's Valente because I've never played eyes on him.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I used to be up for having Cripps run around in purple. For the joy of it. Now I'm looking at players like him and Merrit and thinking they're broken and we don't need them. Whoever ever replaces Mundy needs to go for at least a decade. I don't know if it's Valente because I've never played eyes on him.
Der, nobody has.

I do agree we don't need Cripps.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Haha - I'm just playing along. Still think he would be a huge addition to the midfield. Get him out of the navy blue and into the right shade of purple where he belongs and I think you'll find his body woes disappear overnight. How could anyone get invested in that shitpile of a club? I think he was angry when he played us because the deal was stalled.

It's otay widdle cwippsy. We still wub you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Think the OP is on to something. I'm slightly concerned that due to the sudden increase in media love for Mundy that some team from the East is going to dangle a Buddy-esque 10yr contract in front of him, leaving us in the sh*t and robbing us of Dave's prime years.

Joking aside, I'd actually be sick if I saw Mundy in another kit.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I even hate seeing a picture of Mundy in a Subiaco jumper !!!!.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Ah then the decision at this years draft is open for discussion isn’t it?
If our Talls stay fit: Lobb, Tabs and Treacy and we continue to kick 80-100 points per game
If the defence holds up and Pearce and Hamling get fit again.

If Meek and Darcy continue the way they are.

do you take a KPF or an elite midfielder?
if David is still wanting to play again next year I’d take the KPF perhaps two of them (trade a future pick for a high second this year) add Motlop maybe

Then next year go hard on mids.
I would take the KPF.

Think about it.... in 2012-15, Out side of an Ageing Matty Pavlich, it was close to nothing for depth.

As of 2021, Matt Taberner is in his prime and easily our best performing KPF. outside of him is an incosistent Rory Lobb, a young josh Traecy. Brennan Cox can kick goals at CHF, but is needed down back until either joel Hamling or Alex Pearce return from injury.

I hated it at the time when we really needed to help pav get that flag by getting another tall forward or trying to replace him from 2016 onwards, knowing it would take at least 3 years to find out.

Dont get me wrong, using a 1st rounder on a gun mid again is tempting but we need that young KPF this season. Taberner and Lobb have 2-3 good years left of footy left before they decline.

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mundy is in great form, if he wants another year I’m good with it. Hell he could win the Brownlow this year if his form holds. He is getting a lot of media love atm which helps.

I’d have him as a professional sub next year if he was worried about his body making it through. He can play anywhere. He can play as long as he likes. True club champions get that option. Sub rule May mean he could 3-5 more years.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
Spoken like a true non-gambler. 😂

I feel like the $10 I put on at $81 will somehow help will it into existence. :tearsofjoy:

(Rowell at $23 for the Rising Star, on the other hand, is something people should seriously get on - if he strings 5-6 halfway reasonable games together in the back half of the season, the media will be campaigning for it to be handed to him on a silver platter.)

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
Haha - I'm just playing along. Still think he would be a huge addition to the midfield. Get him out of the navy blue and into the right shade of purple where he belongs and I think you'll find his body woes disappear overnight. How could anyone get invested in that shitpile of a club? I think he was angry when he played us because the deal was stalled.

It's otay widdle cwippsy. We still wub you.
I hope Serong goes med-evil on him the next time we meet them!

mcpharlap

Senior List
Jun 15, 2005
perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle. Q.P.R
Well he was simply outstanding again yesterday. I am sure i have like some here a deep love for what Barra does. What made yesterday even more special was the photo after they game yesterday with a freo fan and a crows fan both kids. It made me smile quite a lot.

I'll never understand people's reluctance to admit they were wrong. It's an opinion on sport, its not life or death, and we are all idiots who like to think we have any idea we know what we are talking about.
i for one take great pleasure in looking back on my robertson > serong takes

Quazar

Cancelled
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester United, Colorado Aves
Sorry for the intrusion..mundy is a star on the field (dominated us on sunday) and also a star off it

Proper choked me up when I saw that. What a classy individual. Sorry you had to bear the brunt of it, but we needed that win! Magnanimous of you to post it after defeat. Wish you well for the remainder of the season 😁😊

Remove this Banner Ad

Back