We need to talk about Mundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it true he didn’t debut at all in his first season at the club?
Played all of 2004 at Subi and won a flag with them. Debuted Rd 4, 2005 I believe (maybe Rd 5), then played 160-odd consecutive games before he was injured and missed a couple of weeks.
Was a whipping boy for a few years for being too soft, lacking intensity (why doesn’t he run harder?? he’s just lazy), and generally being just another skinny half back flankers that we apparently had dozens of at the time (probably not altogether untrue, but now we know Lord David wasn’t ‘just another one’ now was he??). Kudos to old Braedsman who constantly fought the good fight for Dave in those 2005-2007 years, and boy did he cop A LOT of s**t for it at the time.
Braedsman might have had some very strong, sometimes unreasonable, and very divisive opinions - but he was right about Old Davo.

Played all of 2004 at Subi and won a flag with them. Debuted Rd 4, 2005 I believe (maybe Rd 5), then played 160-odd consecutive games before he was injured and missed a couple of weeks.
Was a whipping boy for a few years for being too soft, lacking intensity (why doesn’t he run harder?? he’s just lazy), and generally being just another skinny half back flankers that we apparently had dozens of at the time (probably not altogether untrue, but now we know Lord David wasn’t ‘just another one’ now was he??). Kudos to old Braedsman who constantly fought the good fight for Dave in those 2005-2007 years, and boy did he cop A LOT of sh*t for it at the time.
Braedsman might have had some very strong, sometimes unreasonable, and very divisive opinions - but he was right about Old Davo.

Mundy versus Deledio was the question.

I have a left field theory...David Mundy is a football vampire. He feasts on the footballing energy of other players to keep alive his own playing ability.

What a loon I hear you saying. Well, the evidence is right in front of us and I present my first piece of evidence...Luke Valente.

Now we all know Luke doesn't actually exist, but he did once, probably last having an earthly presence just after being drafted to wear the magical #29. It is at this point where the soul drinking ability of Demonic Dave kicked in. Over a period of time he has gorged on the footballing ability of Valente, to the point where the previously gifted, big bodied, dual footed, inside mid disappeared.

While that piece of evidence is irrefutable and totally compelling, there may be some among us who still refuse to see the other worldly capacity of Demonic Dave to hoover the soul from talented young footballers.

To those who still don't believe, I'll throw up another name...Connor Blakely. Curiously, another highly touted, big bodied, inside mid who had the footballing world at his feet, but strangely is nothing but a shadow of his former self. My prediction is he too, will eventually disappear from this mortal coil and will only be seen in a whispy, ethereal form, in training images, in the years to come.

While these two souls are, unfortunately, lost to us forever, I believe there is another highly touted, big bodied mid that Demonic Dave is possibly targeting to maintain his time transcending, football wizardry...Nathan O'Driscoll.

Now this young lad, amazingly another big bodied midfielder (see the pattern) was lauded as an astute pick up at the last draft as he had shown all the traits to become a pack splitting force in the middle of the ground. Although I'm going early on this, there are some worrying signs that NOD has been targeted by Demonic Dave as his next victim. A worrying loss of critical footballing ability in his early Peel showings is hopefully nothing more than a case of draftee blues, but we must be vigilant...as Dave's playing prowess increases, his hunger for the football soul of talented youth will not be sated by Luke and Connor alone and it seems his ravenous eyes are fixated on poor Nathan.

While we all swoon at the exploits of our beloved, vampiric wonder-kid, please spare a thought for the lost souls that will traverse the hallowed grass of Cockburn for eternity, seeking their once treasured footballing soul and wondering how it all came to this. I for one will salute them and forever be thankful for their ultimate sacrifice.

I invested in MundyCoin after the Crows game. If I cash out now I stand to make 5x my initial investment, better than any other cryptocurrency. Should I ride this tiger? I stand to make 500x if my MundyCoin reaches maturity.

Bump.

Mundy was in Brownlow contention for most of last year. OP et al were severely worried about this year and what the hell we would do if his output dropped or if he retired at the end of 2021. Fast forward a year on and Brayshaw and Serong are even more elite and this little package of steak knives called Brodie have turned our midfield into one well drilled unit.

For most of this year he's been serviceable, still able to slow down time and pick the right option. IMO he won us that Geelong game several weeks ago with the way he harassed at the centre clearance.

But his output is slowing and it's only because he's turning 37 in a few weeks. It's an absolutely massive career effort for any footballer, particularly a midfielder and that doesn't even take into consideration the WA-team travel factor.

With the massive surge from Brodie, Brayshaw and Serong and the possible growth from Erasmus and Johnson I'm not sure Mundy would go on next year even if he hits peak form again, although I hope I'm wrong.

The truth is the bloke probably can't believe he's managed to somehow stick around for our 3rd Gen tilt at the flag. He was there for our first finals win in 2006 (hell he was even at JL's kick after the siren in 2005), part of the Lyon era of dominance (without reward) from 2012-2015. 6 years in the wilderness after that and we've just beaten the top 2 teams and on our best day look like the elite team in the comp.

I'd really love us to pinch a flag with the bloke in this year. We all have our favourite players but no one's been through this much for so long, so many missed chances and at the absolute last gasp of his career we are back in form and competing at the highest level.

#Doit4Mundy!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump.

Mundy was in Brownlow contention for most of last year. OP et al were severely worried about this year and what the hell we would do if his output dropped or if he retired at the end of 2021. Fast forward a year on and Brayshaw and Serong are even more elite and this little package of steak knives called Brodie have turned our midfield into one well drilled unit.

For most of this year he's been serviceable, still able to slow down time and pick the right option. IMO he won us that Geelong game several weeks ago with the way he harassed at the centre clearance.

But his output is slowing and it's only because he's turning 37 in a few weeks. It's an absolutely massive career effort for any footballer, particularly a midfielder and that doesn't even take into consideration the WA-team travel factor.

With the massive surge from Brodie, Brayshaw and Serong and the possible growth from Erasmus and Johnson I'm not sure Mundy would go on next year even if he hits peak form again, although I hope I'm wrong.

The truth is the bloke probably can't believe he's managed to somehow stick around for our 3rd Gen tilt at the flag. He was there for our first finals win in 2006 (hell he was even at JL's kick after the siren in 2005), part of the Lyon era of dominance (without reward) from 2012-2015. 6 years in the wilderness after that and we've just beaten the top 2 teams and on our best day look like the elite team in the comp.

I'd really love us to pinch a flag with the bloke in this year. We all have our favourite players but no one's been through this much for so long, so many missed chances and at the absolute last gasp of his career we are back in form and competing at the highest level.

#Doit4Mundy!!!
man this post gets me fired up a bit, NO ONE (except Matthew Pavlich, thanks DeanS) deserves a flag more than the Mastermind Mundy.......jesus, just make it so!!

Look Footy Gods, I swear...I'll stop nicking my wife's choccie bars when I get told to run in the shop and grab some provisions and I buy 2 each instead of one so she might forget she has a reserve and I get away with more blue murder! I promise I'll stop!!! Just allow Dave to get that flag. Thanks now :tongueoutv1:

Last edited:
I would say no chance of a playing contract next year.
Will need to be carefully managed for the rest of the season as is showing signs of becoming a defensive liability.
His kicking is not quite what it used to be. Tiring legs mid season? Will be interesting to see how he comes up after the bye.

Will need to be carefully managed for the rest of the season as is showing signs of becoming a defensive liability.
His kicking is not quite what it used to be. Tiring legs mid season? Will be interesting to see how he comes up after the bye.
And if he regains some of his touch and sharpness after the bye it might indicate he will be given another break just before the finals. And I’m fine with that.

Come to think of it, you could argue he’s been a bit rusty since getting Rona

Young kids who are constant germ sponges, hoping it’s a mix of all this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he want a contract next year he will get one.

I think he will be a supper sub in the last year of his contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back