We need to talk about Mundy

Remove this Banner Ad

I look at the loyalty guys like Pav, Mundy and Fyfe have given this club. Then I see s**t like this and think we don't deserve their loyalty, because some of us sure don't reciprocate.

After a year out if the game Fyfe is rusty, well cut me off at the knees and call me Shorty!

Pav, Mundy and Fyfe would have to be the 3 most highest paid players in Freo’s history. I’m pretty sure these “loyal” guys were rewarded. It’s not like these 3 have ever taken paycuts, all 3 have milked Freo dry for every cent every time they came out of contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You

Your a dick mate talk about disrespect you don’t know the meaning. Fyfeys put his body on the line since day one and is one of the best players to ever have played the game. We all know he’s rusty but show our skipper some respect he’s trying to get back and Just needs time
Yep. But is he a good leader, can he adapt? I hope he proves me wrong because I want mundy to have a premiership + all of us and there is no way jlo drops him..
I just see him getting in the way of the dynamics of a well oiled machine at present.
Please remind me when we win a premiership with fyfe playing and I will except my full punishments 😂

Footy clubs are ruthless, if I was in charge I’d be putting off contract talks until our season ends. He has made some very un-Mundy like mistakes this season and as sad as it is it’s a discussion needed.

No one wants to shoot Bambi, his year last year was phenomenal but he hasn’t gone close to that form this year.

I'm sticking with Mundy. Absolute champion. But he's had a tough few weeks. Not sure if that has anything to do with his interrupted pre-season. I don't think he can be in the same midfield rotation as Fyfe but I'll leave it to the club as to how they both best fit in.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mundy and Fyfe are undroppable in the eyes of the coaching group and it will take multiple losses before changes are made imo. Doesn't matter how good JLO is as a coach, I don't think it's possible to play both and Brodie in the same team. So we will have to wait and see how things pan out.

Last edited:
Mundy and Fyfe are undroppable and it will take multiple losses before changes are made imo. Doesn't matter how good JLO is as a coach, I don't think it's possible to play both and Brodie in the same team. So we will have to wait and see how things pan out.

No one is undroppable.

No one is undroppable.
In the eyes of the coaching group, yeah they are and it will take multiple losses before either of them are dropped. We never dropped Sonny on his form slump why would it be any different for them? This is just my opinion anyway and I will back the coaching group regardless.

No harm in saying Mundy could do with a break, freshen him up for the finals.
His experience will be invaluable so have him refreshed and ready. Erasmus or Johnson could get a look at what's needed and be ready if needed
Mundy not to play away games.
Its not disrespectful to say Mundy is going through a form slump ..
Agree
Gonna need a big bodied defensive midfield against Port
Boak , SPP and Wines are big lads

Fyfe , Brodie , Brayshaw and Aish starting midfield

It really worried me when he only had 4 touches 'till 1/2 time. But maybe he's read those 'on field coach' puff pieces and they've got to his head? When he was captain he didn't play well. Maybe Fyfe is mixing his messaging? Definitely keep him.

I look at the loyalty guys like Pav, Mundy and Fyfe have given this club. Then I see s**t like this and think we don't deserve their loyalty, because some of us sure don't reciprocate.

After a year out if the game Fyfe is rusty, well cut me off at the knees and call me Shorty!
Yep I agree.

I was pi##ed off with some posters on here when it came to Stephen Hill.

Lovely wingman in the early part and peak of his career until the injuries happened.

When fully fit Stephen Hill had a good kick and gut running pace.

Gutted he had to retire a couple of years back. Same age as Walters at 31 or 32 years old.

Last year mundy also had a pretty bad game at Marvel vs the blues. The only other game at marvel this year was versus the bombers and he also didnt fare to well. Perhaps the faster deck of Marvel just isnt a great fit for his ageing legs. Still offers a lot imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year mundy also had a pretty bad game at Marvel vs the blues. The only other game at marvel this year was versus the bombers and he also didnt fare to well. Perhaps the faster deck of Marvel just isnt a great fit for his ageing legs. Still offers a lot imo.
Agree, horses for courses.

Dave Munday would be the type of bloke who’d be honest with himself and the club when it came to saying “I don’t think I got what it takes to perform at this level now so I’m calling time on my career” when it comes time too.

Don’t think he’d be dragging out his career unnecessarily for the sake of it.

In my semi-pro career in another sport, in the season before I pulled the pin, I was keeping pace and performing with the younger brigade, then off season came and went and in the pre season, Players who’d I kept up with or beat were all of a sudden beating me for pace in running components. Skills no issue but the drop off in pace by a foot or two was telling and an absolute eye opener. No matter how bad I wanted it and loved playing/being a part of the team, Father Time was being a prat by taking a yard of pace off me. I called time because it was the right time.

One bang ordinary game and calling for his scalp. Let’s see he comes back in the next couple of games before really asking the question IMHO.

No harm in saying Mundy could do with a break, freshen him up for the finals.
His experience will be invaluable so have him refreshed and ready. Erasmus or Johnson could get a look at what's needed and be ready if needed
Mundy not to play away games.
Its not disrespectful to say Mundy is going through a form slump ..

This. Give the man a break. Maybe a week now and another week just before finals. Let him come back refreshed. He can't recover as well as he used to.

This. Give the man a break. Maybe a week now and another week just before finals. Let him come back refreshed. He can't recover as well as he used to.

We just had the bye

Couple at Peel to see if he can find his kicking mojo at a lower tempo otherwise there isn’t much point playing a slow 37 year old

Sub is not the worst idea in the world as he’s pretty versatile

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Personally I would prefer this to be it - The depth of our list is really strong and I can't think of a third person to delist after Blakely and Wilson. Kinda sad but hopefully he gets chaired off in a final or something like that.

The look on his face when he shanks kicks is priceless - 'wtf this never happened before??'

Anyone writing off David Mundy - is genuinely *ed.

Sorry, the man is still our best ball user in the midfield, is not slow and has a demonstrated ability to impact finals.

He decides when to go, and on what terms.

Anyone writing off David Mundy - is genuinely ******ed.

Sorry, the man is still our best ball user in the midfield, is not slow and has a demonstrated ability to impact finals.

He decides when to go, and on what terms.
Agree. He’ll call time when he feels he can’t contribute. Don’t think he’s they type of bloke who’ll drag it out.

I'm glad he played vs Essendon at Marvel in 2022.

Crazy stat: that win over Essendon in Docklands in 2022 was good. Last time we got a win vs Essendon at docklands was 2010. Guess who is the only docker to play In both of those wins? Yep it was David Mundy.

People are being very binary about this, the issue isn't that he's finished as an AFL footballer. His best would still put among the top 4 inside mids at a number of clubs in the competition. The issue here he is clearly the 5th and five inside mids may be too many to carry (it's not proven yet*). PLUS we have two top inside mid talents in the twos.

It's not a simple problem at all.

*It's a small sample but in games where we are on top or splitting the midfield battle it seems to be an advantage. We were are getting beaten it is an absolute liability. Particularly since its defensively where age has caught up with Mundy.

We just had the bye

Couple at Peel to see if he can find his kicking mojo at a lower tempo otherwise there isn’t much point playing a slow 37 year old

Sub is not the worst idea in the world as he’s pretty versatile

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Yep, I don't think resting helps him. It's playing every week that keeps father time away & he'll be back to normal next week at Optus.

The old guys & forwards looks worse in a loss. The whole team was poor, fix that and we will fix Mundy too.

Can we play both an ageing Mundy and underdone Fyfe in the same team with the prevelance of Brayshaw, Serong and Brodie?

When Mundy has an off-day AND Fyfe is still buidling match fitness/getting used to the new system we look like we are struggling. We can't expect Mundy to be at his best - or near enough - everygame. Likewise, we can't expect Fyfe to magically be match-fit and used to the 2022 team/style.

The trouble with the above then is that both would benefit from spells up forward and we can't play them both in the forward 50 if they are both not quite right. We also shouldn't be looking at dropping someone like Brodie, who is the future and an absolute asset to have in the guts with his work-rate and energy.

I feel Mundy is more important to aim to have in the side than Fyfe for the time-being and when Fyfe is probably closer to his natural peak again later in the season, that is when we will need Mundy's extra experience and could afford to send him forward from time to time.

We are sort of damned if we do, damned if we don't at the moment imo

Can we play both an ageing Mundy and underdone Fyfe in the same team with the prevelance of Brayshaw, Serong and Brodie?

When Mundy has an off-day AND Fyfe is still buidling match fitness/getting used to the new system we look like we are struggling. We can't expect Mundy to be at his best - or near enough - everygame. Likewise, we can't expect Fyfe to magically be match-fit and used to the 2022 team/style.

The trouble with the above then is that both would benefit from spells up forward and we can't play them both in the forward 50 if they are both not quite right. We also shouldn't be looking at dropping someone like Brodie, who is the future and an absolute asset to have in the guts with his work-rate and energy.

I feel Mundy is more important to aim to have in the side than Fyfe for the time-being and when Fyfe is probably closer to his natural peak again later in the season, that is when we will need Mundy's extra experience and could afford to send him forward from time to time.

We are sort of damned if we do, damned if we don't at the moment imo
And that my friend is a conundrum..
Right now fyfe is the biggest liability and will cockblock the midfields serious attempt at a grand final this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back