We need to talk about Oscar

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the difference is that we’ve pinned our hopes on Oscar being the number 1 ruck. He carries our chances more than any other individual in our team and if we’re wrong then we lose a big piece of our premiership hopes

I think the difference is that we’ve pinned our hopes on Oscar being the number 1 ruck. He carries our chances more than any other individual in our team and if we’re wrong then we lose a big piece of our premiership hopes
I’ve never thought that.

One thing I’ve always thought is that if we succeed, it will despite having limited ruck. I’ve never pinned our chances on any individual in our team.

What other choices do we have bar Oscar ?

Who do we get and how do we get them ? It's not that easy.

I don't see him preventing us winning a flag if we're good enough everywhere else . He's good enough to do a job albeit he still has plenty to improve on.

It'd be nice if he had a decent backup.

I’ve never thought that.

One thing I’ve always thought is that if we succeed, it will despite having limited ruck. I’ve never pinned our chances on any individual in our team.

If we play in the GF this year and he plays the worst game of his career it’ll have more influence on the outcome of the game than any other individual in our team playing that poorly IMO

If we play in the GF this year and he plays the worst game of his career it’ll have more influence on the outcome of the game than any other individual in our team playing that poorly IMO
Quite a few ifs in there Jackess.

If we make the GF I think we'd all be absolutely stoked would we not.

I don't see what we can do about it now , He's our only ruck .

Quite a few ifs in there Jackess.

If we make the GF I think we'd all be absolutely stoked would we not.

I don't see what we can do about it now , He's our only ruck .

Why make any comment about the team? It is what it is

Well we can change other players. It's hard changing him for whoever else we have available.

I understand you're frustrated because you don't think he's good enough.

Have a little faith. He's not that bad. I've still got faith in McStay.

Pretty pointless making any comment about the team given you delisted them all during the last seconds game.

Still think Big O still carrying a injury.
now rucking more as well.. hence puffs out after half time it seems
Still think Archie/Lane in instead of Fullarton

Warming to Chol. Could work well with Oscar. Depends what we’re after.

I previously would have said no but Hipwood going down changes things.

Oscar in the ruck with Chol playing forward alongside Daniher and McStay. Helps to both fill the Hipwood void and takes the pressure off Oscar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Chol is the obviously target - especially the way he played the other night and with Hippy out for 12 months. Obviously major stumbling blocks to jump over to make it happen. I gather our salary cap is rather tight and releasing someone like Ely Smith and Birchall retiring isn't necessary going mean we are flushed with funds. Also is Chol keen to leave? He might have been earlier in the season but he is getting a decent run in the Tigers line up now. The Suns will probably have more money to offer as well and are just as desperate as we are for a back up ruck.

Dare I say it Mason Cox? Can play ruck or forward and won't be at Collingwood next year.

I too have thought about big cox, as a stop gap. Would fill a need.

Would also give a bit of versatility as opposed to just a pure ruck.

I was very surprised when we selected another young ruck in the MSD. We now have H Smith, Lane, Fullerton, Ballerden. By the time H Smith and Lane are AFL ready Rich, Zorko, Robinson, Birchall possibly Neale will have retired, I don’t think we have a choice other than play Archie.

I've been on the Chol train for a while, welcome aboard.
ConstantOldfashionedHalcyon-max-1mb.gif

No one interested in Callum Coleman-Jones?

Are we looking for a first choice Ruck, or a Ruck Forward?

We could go for a short term solution like Goldstein, as the first choice ruck, with Oscar playing the ruck forward role.

Allows for Henry Smith and Kalin Lane to develop in the reserves, without having a long term road block to first team for them.

KPF and ruck set up is largely dictated by a teams personal.

Medium term, beyond Hipwood’s injury, our set up is three tall forwards and a solo ruck. Long term, after Daniher, who knows.

No one interested in Callum Coleman-Jones?

Are we looking for a first choice Ruck, or a Ruck Forward?

We could go for a short term solution like Goldstein, as the first choice ruck, with Oscar playing the ruck forward role.

Allows for Henry Smith and Kalin Lane to develop in the reserves, without having a long term road block to first team for them.

KPF and ruck set up is largely dictated by a teams personal.

Medium term, beyond Hipwood’s injury, our set up is three tall forwards and a solo ruck. Long term, after Daniher, who knows.

I don't care about rucks tbh and if we hadn't had the hippy injury, wouldn't have gone looking, but I think Goldstein would make a lot of sense if he was open to a move out of Victoria which is the big unknown.

Probably costs us the Dees pick though given we don't have a second rounder which is a steep price for someone in their mid 30s who has max two years left probably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back