Analysis We need to talk about Rhyce Shaw leaving North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

The rot started in 2016 when they chopped Petrie, Dal Santo, Harvey and Firrito who all played 22 or 23 games out of 23 that season. Wells (19 games) left as a free agent also.

They were a good solid 12-14 win side that had reached their ceiling, and have since gone 6, 10, 12, 3 (out of 17) wins in 4 years.

The recruiting after 2016 has been all over the shop. Blooding the young guys like McKay, Larkey, Zurhaar etc. makes sense. Anderson (22), Williams (23), Ahern (21) etc. who were on the timeline as younger recruits made sense even if they didn't all work out. Grabbing Stephenson from Collingwood's fire sale last year was great. Dom Tyson for Preuss. Why? 26 year old Polec and 27 year old Pittard. Why? Josh Walker, Aaron Hall, Tom Campbell... these guys are journeymen. Menadue and Corr are OK, but are they much of an upgrade on the guys that were cut last year?

Culling Pittard was probably the right thing to do, to be fair.

That's exactly what happened.

Thanks for the 2 second rounders.

I notice how you continually and conveniently forget to mention that North also traded a 2nd rounder back to Melbourne in that deal.

So yeah, thanks for giving us your best forward for a second rounder

It's a bit of a strange one to go from walking away from the game because of a crippling disease to 10 weeks later upending his life and taking a job as Head of Development at the Suns (still part of high pressure environment with responsibilities).

I'm just wondering if he had coached North to a top 2 rather than bottom 2 finish in 2020, would he have been as quick to relinquish the reins?

I notice how you continually and conveniently forget to mention that North also traded a 2nd rounder back to Melbourne in that deal.

So yeah, thanks for giving us your best forward for a second rounder

he wasn't our best forward. not last year.

you're welcome to him. he's been worked out

Two things I learned today...

1. The name of North's new coach is David Noble

2. David Noble was a dual premiership player for North Hobart (1987, 1989), played 2 AFL games for Fitzroy (in 1991), was a Bulldogs assistant coach under Terry Wallace (1998-2002), Glenelg's head coach (2003-2004), Adelaide's assistant coach (2005-2010), list manager (2011-2013), head of football (2014-2016) and the Brisbane Lions GM since 2016.

I won't wish him the best of luck because North might be the only thing between the Hawks and the spoon over the next couple of years. :D:oops::(

Last edited:
This sort of head-coach transition is literally unprecedented in the AFL, and I think we're seeing the overwhelming evidence of how crucially important stability and continuity at the head-coach position is to the competitiveness of any footy club.

Its not - Essendon had three different head coaches in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

It’s all about where your list is at. North’s list was and is in a shocking shape.

Its not - Essendon had three different head coaches in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

It’s all about where your list is at. North’s list was and is in a shocking shape.
It's not even unprecedented at the OPs own club

Eicke - Barker - Tyson over 3 years.

Tyson - Lewis - Clarke - Taylor over 4 years.

Actually quite impressive that North had 10 coaches in their first 8 years in the VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back