Roast We need to talk about Ryan Lester....

Remove this Banner Ad

cmt26

Team Captain
Feb 17, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
3 touches & 1 tackle to 3qtr time - not the first time, he has been MIA either.
79th game of AFL football. Looks slower than a wet week. Yet to fully cement a permanent position in the team.
Where does he go from here?

Has a 2 year deal so I guess it's up to the coaches to determine the best way to use him. I wouldn't say he's best 22 so he might have to do it through the reserves.

3 touches & 1 tackle to 3qtr time - not the first time, he has been MIA either.
79th game of AFL football. Looks slower than a wet week. Yet to fully cement a permanent position in the team.
Where does he go from here?
Wet, cement. I guess I'd say his future isn't set in concrete.

He's not a best 22 player moving forward but he is a guy who is good enough to play a role if needed when we pick up an injury or 2. He played pretty well early on in the year and earned his contract extension IMO. Not every guy on our list is going to be elite. Lester has his qualities but also some deficiencies that really handbrake him as a footballer. In a perfect world in 2017 he is a big body helping our younger guys develop in the ressies next season.

Doesn't look like he will ever become a consistent AFL standard player 79 games into his career which is disappointing. I feel like that broken leg early in his career took away a fair bit of his athleticism and confidence. He is signed up for the next 2 years so all we can do is hope a new coach can get more out of him and at worst he'll be a handy depth player and good leader in the reserves.

To be fair, he looked like he found his niche in attack earlier this season before getting injured. Third tall is really his go, makes a good contest and can put some pressure on. Question is, with Schache, Hipwood, Walker and Close is there any room in the forward line for him?

Fallen off a cliff a bit since we re-signed him.

If the new coach next year finds another niche for him he might get to 100 games. If not he'll be our NEAFL captain for 2 seasons

Not his fault, can only play to his skill level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been a defender of him in the past because I felt there was something there but games like this can erode that faith. The positive start he had to the season hasn't really been backed up since we re-signed him which is disappointing.

I feel like he's been sort of stuck in limbo with constant switching of positions but that's been necessitated somewhat by his limitations. I'd say his best bet is as a third tall with runs through the midfield but you can't do either and have an impact with lacklustre endurance. Granted both are difficult positions in struggling teams but disappearing completely in those roles is unacceptable.

I'm starting to feel that we'll probably just see him pop up with a cluster of goals as a marking forward target until he's pushed out by a player with more strings to their bow and eventually de-listed. Hoping I'm wrong but not a lot of evidence to support the contrary at the moment.

I used to say every preseason it will be Lesters year to breakout... I've lost faith in him this season when he couldn't break into the midfield rotations without half our best midfield playing. List clogger I'm afraid and wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut once we get a new coach this off season.

I've said the same thing about Lester breaking out a few times. He seems to get slower every year which just hurts him so much.

Would still like to see him in the starting bounce along with Bell, Robinson and Rich. Think he has got something to offer on the inside.
Was just about to post this. I think he should get a full time run as an inside mid next week along with Bell. Have no idea why Leppa plays Bell up forward when he could offer us so much drive from the centre that we lack. We have nothing to lose...

Ca
Was just about to post this. I think he should get a full time run as an inside mid next week along with Bell. Have no idea why Leppa plays Bell up forward when he could offer us so much drive from the centre that we lack. We have nothing to lose...
Can't play in the midfield hasn't got the tank same as bell

To be fair, he looked like he found his niche in attack earlier this season before getting injured. Third tall is really his go, makes a good contest and can put some pressure on. Question is, with Schache, Hipwood, Walker and Close is there any room in the forward line for him?
Third tall is really the only role he is physically equipped to play. He can't play any smaller because he's just too slow and cumbersome. And he can't play any taller because he's not big enough.

And, while I think he is still one of our better players in the contest, he is a liability on the spread and you would lose far more than you gain putting him into the midfield.

I hate accentuating the negative about any player but this guy just drives me nuts every week. He is a good mark, can contest one on one but he just lets his team mates down so regularly with his lack of defensive effort and run. Both he and Jansen need some serious running coaching with an emphasis on the sprint. Jansen is showing similar traits.

79 games is a long time to persist with someone when they are not showing any signs of improvement.

Is an "in between" height for his attributes & seems too slow to make it at AFL level regardless of position.

I hate accentuating the negative about any player but this guy just drives me nuts every week. He is a good mark, can contest one on one but he just lets his team mates down so regularly with his lack of defensive effort and run. Both he and Jansen need some serious running coaching with an emphasis on the sprint. Jansen is showing similar traits.
Beyond redemption I'm afraid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back