Roast We need to talk about Ryan Lester....

Remove this Banner Ad

"It's a shame, but I don't think he factors into our future plans, though he's been a great clubman".

or

"He's hopeless, has always been hopeless and can **** off".

See how one acknowledges the players contribution with respect and the other is dismissively dicky?
Both make a tough decision, but they're not the same.;)
What relevance does this have?
I have never said anything like that about Lester. I have huge respect for the loyalty and leadership he has brought to the club.

No idea what you're trying to say tbh.

What relevance does this have?
I have never said anything like that about Lester. I have huge respect for the loyalty and leadership he has brought to the club.
No idea what you're trying to say tbh.
Really?
This>
Sometimes you need to be brutally honest. We will never get anywhere as a footy club if we can't make tough calls.

was your response to this >
I don't get how supporters can talk about their own team's players in the manner some on here are about Lester. Let alone a guy who has played 100 games and given his all.

and you don't understand my point that you don't have to be a callous douche while making honest or tough decisions?
I didn't say you made such comments, but you did try to reason that people could make crass comments in the name of brutal honesty or tough calls.

Really?
This>

was your response to this >

and you don't understand my point that you don't have to be a callous douche while making honest or tough decisions?
I didn't say you made such comments, but you did try to reason that people could make crass comments in the name of brutal honesty or tough calls.
Point taken.
I thought you were acusing me of making disrespectful comments about Lester, which I have never done. I have never rated him as a player but I love the other qualities he brings.

Frost is an interesting one because he is contracted until the end of 2019 (as is Ryan Bastinac).

Do we pay these guys out and free up the list spot or retain them despite them not being in Coach Fagan's plans.

Remember a few years ago, we ran him through the middle due to injuries taking a few out. Our clearance numbers were better with him there than not. He has other deficiencies, but he is not without talent, and has been one of our most professional, loyal leaders. Let's cut the crap that he hasn't been a good clubman or great servant.
You can argue his abilities or place in the team now, but that doesn't diminish the service he has given. Get some loyalty and respect into ya.
Well said - I loath comments bagging Lions players...comments do not have to be disrespectful. Personally, I would close this thread...I have never met Ryan Lester but he always presents as a wonderful human being.

Well said - I loath comments bagging Lions players...comments do not have to be disrespectful. Personally, I would close this thread...I have never met Ryan Lester but he always presents as a wonderful human being.

True, speaking as an ex publican and someone who has mixed with the broader general during my working life, the vast majority of people you meet are empathetic caring individuals. Media persona and on field performance is not a particularly accurate way to measure character.

I've always thought his best games/patches have come when he's been used as a deep forward. He has good hands, is a pretty reliable shot, and his lack of pace never seemed such liability there.

Been on his bandwagon since pretty much day 1. Not sure how he fits into Fagans’ game plan but he did play the whole season last year. Something has changed with his role and looks like it’s taken him a while to adjust. Don’t see him being delisted though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ryan is just too much of a liability with his lack of speed and to go with it he's very one paced, he can't put in a 5-10 meter burst of any sort.

If he was put up for trade I would hazard a guess and say there would be no interest.

Ryan is just too much of a liability with his lack of speed and to go with it he's very one paced, he can't put in a 5-10 meter burst of any sort.

If he was put up for trade I would hazard a guess and say there would be no interest.

There has been interest from several clubs in previous years that we've declined. Not sure if it will still be there, but a few Victorian clubs have come for him before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been on his bandwagon since pretty much day 1. Not sure how he fits into Fagans’ game plan but he did play the whole season last year. Something has changed with his role and looks like it’s taken him a while to adjust. Don’t see him being delisted though.

Hodge coming in has more-or-less been at his expense.

Hodge coming in has more-or-less been at his expense.
Dunno, that was just one of the many roles he seems to have played and was never really a permanent backman. I would actually say Cameron has probably cut his grass a bit more since he is no longer playing as that lead up forward. Might see him up there in the back half of the year again.

Well said, a lot like when Cheynee Stiller's (100 games) time had come and I suspect Rohan Bewick's (103 games).

Who knows with Ryan's genes combined with his wife's (Dayne Zorko's sister), we may be thankful in 17-18 years that he played 100 games for the club.
I’d be happy with a girl with the same attributes. Not as fussy these days.

Dunno, that was just one of the many roles he seems to have played and was never really a permanent backman. I would actually say Cameron has probably cut his grass a bit more since he is no longer playing as that lead up forward. Might see him up there in the back half of the year again.
Yeah seems its a bit of both - and Rayner as well as he plays a bit of that medium lead up forward role. He was playing that utility role at both ends then we recruited players in those spots and he has been a bit lost. Forced him into the middle a bit and hasnt done well in playing there or in new roles. Going on next year and beyond I'd say he is much more valuable than a 4th round pick. But in a fully fit team then Im not sure he plays as much as in the past

In all the years that he’s played I struggle to think of one game where Ryan would have been in the best five. He has really struggled this year, but is still getting selected. Maybe there is something that we don’t know, but I doubt it. The cockroach talks about building culture. I’m not sure about how Ryan consistently getting picked in preference to better performed players in the NEAFL helps this. I’m sure those players would be privately seeking answers.

I have enormous respect for the person that plays even one game of AFL. It’s an easy game from the stands isn’t it.
In all the years that he’s played I struggle to think of one game where Ryan would have been in the best five. He has really struggled this year, but is still getting selected. Maybe there is something that we don’t know, but I doubt it. The cockroach talks about building culture. I’m not sure about how Ryan consistently getting picked in preference to better performed players in the NEAFL helps this. I’m sure those players would be privately seeking answers.
Lester has great stats in NEAFL

I'm certainly not a Ryan Lester fan but he was pretty good last season, played his role, I do agree with you though I would have omitted him this week.

Cockroach? Surely you're not referring to Chris Fagan, are you?

Cockroach - who are you referring to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back