VFL We need to talk about Sandy.

Remove this Banner Ad

she was brought in as a development coach not an AFLW coach. her role changed and she then transitioned into the AFLW role.

i have no issue with her being an AFLW coach. I have an issue with her being appointed to a development role that she clearly was not qualified to do

100% spot on! and the proofs in the pudding

P66 v P87
e67317f9cd09e1657d733a5aad69971f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not too sure how a thread about Sandy gets railroaded into an opinion piece about Peta's role. Could be wrong, but i dont think saints players barely even train with them and vice versa, which if correct means the team will never gel together - is this true? Id say there are plenty of other issues with this affiliation rather than her and social issues in society etc.

So it’s totally her fault.
Of course it's not all her fault, plugs. It's just she wasn't the best person for the job. Nor, it would appear, were others in the development area. Some people are blinded by gender and have to bring it into every argument to signal their supposed virtue. It would've been good if we'd targeted someone like Matt Egan, now at Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

more crap. can we stop with this rhetoric. it seems people have stereotyped their views of conservatives vs progressive that involves shallow name calling.

there's more than enough to criticise in regards to the appointment and subsequent re-deployment without bringing in gender/name calling etc.
Absolutely. This kind of pithy name-calling diminishes the original argument and renders it little more than a bitter emotive swipe at political enemies on the opposite wing. Anytime I see acronyms like PC or SJW or expressions like virtue signalling used, I know the opinion is coloured with petty libertarian sniping, for which I have no patience. I have a mate who communicates this way too and it drives me bananas. Not because he's right. Because it's a dick move and irritating to read and dripping with bitterness and arrogance.

It's a pity because at the root of it, I think Drake might be right about Peta but he's being such a nob about it I can't bring myself to fully endorse his comments.

this obsession with a stand alone VFL team is bordering on insanity....
there is one obsticle stopping the stand alone team that should kill off the talk about a stand alone team and that is the VFL dont want another team ... that should be it in a nutshell if the VFL want a team great work from there but they dont so we are never going to get anywhere starting a team in a comp that doesnt want another team...
we cant control that but the one thing we can control is the alignment with our current team .. from reports things are getting better as to where they were a couple of years ago but there is still work to do.. as it stands now we basically run Sandy we coach the team we dictate what players we play and where they play we also dictate how we play our players (eg we want ****** to only play one qtr then ****** only plays one qtr) so i dont know what we think having a stand alone will bring thats differant to what we currently have ...
the problem with sandy is our boys dont want to play there they want to be in the AFL not in the VFL , the VFL is seen as a punishment of sorts for poor AFL performance there is no spirit no desire to be successful as a group its very individual the Saints listed players are not there to win for Sandy they are there to push their case to get back in the AFL team.. at the end of the day as a club we care not if Sandy win or lose we only care about how our player performed so if Josh Battle kicks 5 and had a fantastic game but the Zebs lose by 100 St Kilda will be happy Battle played well ...
end of the day a proud club like Sandy dont like that , a club with their own history dont want that but thats what we got and the truth is St Kilda can live without Sandy i dont think Sandy has the capacity to survive without St Kilda
V perceptive comment from the other side of the country.
Summed up the situation nicely.

I believe you stand a significantly better chance with your own stand alone team but I can't articulate why. But what I can try to explain is value for money is better in terms of a club membership because you get access to two types of club experiences.

For example Pies get the AFL experience and every other weekend will get a club match at their traditional ground on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. You get twice the value. The experience at Sandy for a Saints fan is odd at best. The main reason I buy a membership is to watch the VFL and support the up and coming players, and to enjoy a more old fashion parochial thing. This is now running very very dry with the Sandy affiliation.

And without a stand alone team, considering I can't handle Docklands, I don't think I'll bother much going forward. I know this can be easily criticized but just being honest. It would mean the world to me to watch the VFL team run out at Moorabbin on a Saturday afternoon every other weekend, and have that type of experience, kick the ball around with the kids, genuinely supporting St Kilda, and not half some other club.

We were told we would get our own stand alone VFL team, but this didn't happen and the CEO has let us down badly. With a lot of spin at the time, and via Caroline Wilson no less.

I believe you stand a significantly better chance with your own stand alone team but I can't articulate why. But what I can try to explain is value for money is better in terms of a club membership because you get access to two types of club experiences.

For example Pies get the AFL experience and every other weekend will get a club match at their traditional ground on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. You get twice the value. The experience at Sandy for a Saints fan is odd at best. The main reason I buy a membership is to watch the VFL and support the up and coming players, and to enjoy a more old fashion parochial thing. This is now running very very dry with the Sandy affiliation.

And without a stand alone team, considering I can't handle Docklands, I don't think I'll bother much going forward. I know this can be easily criticized but just being honest. It would mean the world to me to watch the VFL team run out at Moorabbin on a Saturday afternoon every other weekend, and have that type of experience, kick the ball around with the kids, genuinely supporting St Kilda, and not half some other club.

We were told we would get our own stand alone VFL team, but this didn't happen and the CEO has let us down badly. With a lot of spin at the time, and via Caroline Wilson no less.
Agree. I only get to about 3 Saints games per season but I try and get to as many Sandy games as I can. I like that the membership allows me to do this. Seeing the emerging talent and being allowed on the ground makes it a much more immersive experience.
I would dearly love to see our seconds playing out of the new Moorabbin facility wearing Saints colours.The Sandy alignment just feels incongruent to me.

Absolutely. This kind of pithy name-calling diminishes the original argument and renders it little more than a bitter emotive swipe at political enemies on the opposite wing. Anytime I see acronyms like PC or SJW or expressions like virtue signalling used, I know the opinion is coloured with petty libertarian sniping, for which I have no patience. I have a mate who communicates this way too and it drives me bananas. Not because he's right. Because it's a dick move and irritating to read and dripping with bitterness and arrogance.

It's a pity because at the root of it, I think Drake might be right about Peta but he's being such a nob about it I can't bring myself to fully endorse his comments.

Acronyms like SJW and PC are less tiresome than the old white man conspiracy theories, Austinnn. My argument was never about gender. It was about the quality of the applicant. St. Trav made it about gender, threw a few insults around and accused me of mysoginy. The usual tactics associated with the aforementioned acronyms.

So while you're being annoyed by those acronyms, many of us are offended by the bullshit that comes from those who are quite rightly labelled with them.

Mind you, I spent decades going to Moorabbin games on crappy cold wet afternoons, watching our reserves teams, kicking the ball with mates around after matches- alas, the Saints still only have one premiership to show over the last 52 years. It was another era

Mind you, I spent decades going to Moorabbin games on crappy cold wet afternoons, watching our reserves teams, kicking the ball with mates around after matches- alas, the Saints still only have one premiership to show over the last 52 years. It was another era
These are my best memories
St.Kilda really felt like a club

This thread needs to be changed to lets talk about Peta by the looks of it.

What I'd like to know, is are there any structural differences between the way we now operate with Sandy than Hawthorn operate with Box Hill?

It works for them and I know we've only recently had more freedom with the alignment, but it still feels like a complete dogs breakfast in comparison.

This thread needs to be changed to lets talk about Peta by the looks of it.

What I'd like to know, is are there any structural differences between the way we now operate with Sandy than Hawthorn operate with Box Hill?

It works for them and I know we've only recently had more freedom with the alignment, but it still feels like a complete dogs breakfast in comparison.
This is just idle speculation but I’d guess that Box Hill does not carry the same weight of history and expectation that exists at Sandringham.
The Zebras have a fine history of success at First Division VFA Level.
In their eyes, at least the equivalent to Port (who is the enemy).
Box Hill was a VFA Division Two side.
The club cultures would be completely different, and Box Hill probably more open to change and outside control given their lack of success and Hawthorn’ $.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back