Discussion We need to talk about the elephant in the room

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surely it's a plus if our potential SC team members get Omicron early as they/we will all get it anyway? They'll soon recover and will have natural immunity. For fit young players the long term health risk from Omicron seems less than that of the booster, which doesn't stop Omicron anyway.

Hopefully the season won't be seriously impacted. I'm more worried if the AFL toughen up the concussion protocols. That would be a game changer!

Teeball has been an absolute cluster* this season with the rona so hopefully the wise old heads at AFL House have got their thinking Beanies on. While we all love a solid slagging of that funkster Gill, I reckon he's done pretty well considering the shitburger that's been on the counter once he walked into office.

Surely it's a plus if our potential SC team members get Omicron early as they/we will all get it anyway? They'll soon recover and will have natural immunity. For fit young players the long term health risk from Omicron seems less than that of the booster, which doesn't stop Omicron anyway.

Hopefully the season won't be seriously impacted. I'm more worried if the AFL toughen up the concussion protocols. That would be a game changer!
Yep, approx 3-4 months immunity after you catch Covid ….. so better to catch now

We’re 3 months away from season start though….. a lot of water to go under the bridge ….. frankly i’m not worried about the season being too heavily impacted

Yep, approx 3-4 months immunity after you catch Covid ….. so better to catch now

We’re 3 months away from season start though….. a lot of water to go under the bridge ….. frankly i’m not worried about the season being too heavily impacted
Apparently they're still not too sure about the natural immunity with omicron, how strong it is, length of immunity etc. so I honestly don't think it will be a thing for us this season.

Why worry? Spam Tim's twitter for more trades each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not so sure about that. Covid has been shown to have a significant impact on aerobic capacity for 1-2 months after infection.

In other words, any player catching it now is going to have a poor pre-season which is likely to have a negative impact on their performance.

I'm not so sure about that. Covid has been shown to have a significant impact on aerobic capacity for 1-2 months after infection.

In other words, any player catching it now is going to have a poor pre-season which is likely to have a negative impact on their performance.

They're all going to get it.

Earlier the better IMO.

Prefer to have January pre-season action interrupted than March pre-season action

Adelaide Footy Manager was speaking the other day, he was talking casually that the 20% of Crows squad that are in isolation would not have their PS's disrupted ....and would miss no more than 2 weeks

Adelaide Footy Manager was speaking the other day, he was talking casually that the 20% of Crows squad that are in isolation would not have their PS's disrupted ....and would miss no more than 2 weeks

Wait I'm confused by that one... are they not having their pre-seasons disrupted or are they missing 2 weeks?

I suppose my concern is not how many weeks they will miss, but what condition they will be in when they do resume training. Will they be 100%? 90%? 80%? I just feel like having reduced aerobic capacity could be a bad thing when it comes to high intensity fitness training.

I also don't really agree with people saying "everyone is going to catch it". I think a significant portion of players won't catch it, or will avoid catching it until at least after the season is over. Those are the players I would prefer to have. Though obviously... kinda hard to pick who those might be.

Finally, the idea of "it's better to have them catch it earlier than later" I feel doesn't really work because people can catch it multiple times. A player who gets it early can still just as easily get it later on during the season as well. It's not like it's just out of the way and they can never catch it again.

Wait I'm confused by that one... are they not having their pre-seasons disrupted or are they missing 2 weeks?
You get used to these oxymoron answers as an ADEL supporter ....we find it best to simply shrug your shoulders & move on

I suppose my concern is not how many weeks they will miss, but what condition they will be in when they do resume training. Will they be 100%? 90%? 80%? I just feel like having reduced aerobic capacity could be a bad thing when it comes to high intensity fitness training.

I also don't really agree with people saying "everyone is going to catch it". I think a significant portion of players won't catch it, or will avoid catching it until at least after the season is over. Those are the players I would prefer to have. Though obviously... kinda hard to pick who those might be.

Finally, the idea of "it's better to have them catch it earlier than later" I feel doesn't really work because people can catch it multiple times. A player who gets it early can still just as easily get it later on during the season as well. It's not like it's just out of the way and they can never catch it again.

They won't get Omicron again. They might get the next variant, and yes, that might only be a couple of months away.

But if getting it doesn't give you immunity to at least that variant, then vaccinations are completely pointless because they are all based on the premise that exposure to the virus will enable your immune system to develop antibodies that will fight against it the next time you encounter it.

I will definitely be selecting players that have had Omicron in preference to players that have not yet

Yeah, I can confirm first hand it messes with your aerobic capacity. Recently had a stint with this and trying to get back into running has been painful, I’m a fair way off where I was.

let’s say it does mess with their aerobic performance etc etc, it’s pretty clear already that a reasonable % of players are going to be in the same boat. So on that premise they are at no worse fitness levels to whatever % of players catch covid. So for that reason I’m not fussed picking players who have already caught it.

I'm just going to pick a full team of nerd burgers who have no social life and no high profile social media who are going to stay indoors all year and not catch it.

Marty Gleeson can hold up my defence, while Ben Brown can be my focal point up forward. Perma captain on Cunners.

I'm just going to pick a full team of nerd burgers who have no social life and no high profile social media who are going to stay indoors all year and not catch it.

Marty Gleeson can hold up my defence, while Ben Brown can be my focal point up forward. Perma captain on Cunners.
Unfortunately for you we’ve delisted Gleeson.

My guess that after dealing with 2 years that fitness coaches around the league would have a plan in place for players to train in isolations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back