Autopsy We pissed it in v the pies

Remove this Banner Ad

That is irrelevant. Can't possibly say he played great because he kicked 4 goals as 3 of them were Joe Magooses. I would have at least 10 players ranked higher than McDonald.
Yeah sure, he just got lucky 🙄. Next time you're at a ground I suggest you watch how bloody hard McDonald works to get his "easy" goals.

"The harder I work the luckier I get".

Next time you're at a ground I suggest you watch how bloody hard McDonald works to get his "easy" goals.

"The harder I work the luckier I get".
If you look at First Crack, I think David King shows some behind the goal footage of how fast McDonald tears away from Moore and gets his space for an easy mark (spoiled by Wayward 🙄). No doubt in my mind now that he earned that space and is a much harder worker than I thought.

Some terrific do and dare in that clip, but love what Rampe did (~22 - 35 sec), ran back stride by stride with Bobby Hill, spoiled the mark and then presence of mind to give the little toe poke to McCartin to set the crazy gang in motion. :thumbsu:
Brilliant to see our players equally desperate with hard running, second and third efforts, regardless of their standing in the team. On the weekend a commentator praised GWS for having a similarly hard work ethic across every member of their team, no matter their stature.

In the absence of Mills and Parker, Heeney is leading by example. His effort to keep on chasing Markov was the pressure that forced the turnover inside our 50. To see all of our guys working so hard for each other is inspirational. McCartin seems to be taking over Rampe's organisational role in defence. I see this as a positive for the defence as the full back sees more of the game ahead. I think it's also good for Rampe as it frees him to get the best out himself and the remainder of his career.

It's very early days but the two Sydney teams are really standing out from the pack. Most of the media praise is (predictably) going to GWS but it's clear we're shaping as the early flag favourites for many. By the time we play GWS in Round 8 both teams could be 7-0.

We'll play GWS off a six day break compared to their nine. A week later we'll face Freo in Perth then Carlton off another 6 day break. We have travel or short breaks before lots of tough games this year. The second time we play GWS we'll be coming off a trip to Adelaide.

The AFL has done us no favours with the fixture this year. The flip side is, if we manage to thrive in the H&A season, we'll have earned our finals place the tough way and hopefully we'll be ready to take it up a few notches.

The AFLPA award is the biggest joke award of all time. Players are asked to vote who the best player of the year is when very few of them watch any games at all. Hence, they make their decision based mainly on what they read in the media.
yes, re-read my post

If you look at First Crack, I think David King shows some behind the goal footage of how fast McDonald tears away from Moore and gets his space for an easy mark (spoiled by Wayward 🙄). No doubt in my mind now that he earned that space and is a much harder worker than I thought.
Yeah it was very much deliberate to allow Moore to come to the contest and get the ball out the back to his man

How could Logan possibly be considered for votes. 3 of his 4 goals were given to him solely by being on his own. It was the cheapest 4 goal haul I've ever seen.

Look I have Errol getting the 1 (Heeney, Daicos, Errol). However if they go outside that Logan could get it 4.2 plus a lot of marks is a big night. That 1 vote is a tough one, gut says Errol gets it but won't be shocked with 7-8 players. The top 2 are obvious.

Look I have Errol getting the 1 (Heeney, Daicos, Errol). However if they go outside that Logan could get it 4.2 plus a lot of marks is a big night. That 1 vote is a tough one, gut says Errol gets it but won't be shocked with 7-8 players. The top 2 are obvious.
Personally - I don't think the top 2 are obvious.

The top 1 (Heeney) is obvious. But the second most influential player on the ground in the first 2-3 quarters (when the game was won) was Rowy, closely followed by Chad. Daicos got a lot of touches - but didn't swing the match Collingwood's way.

Of course, the umps will award Daicos votes. But that doesn't make it right.

Personally - I don't think the top 2 are obvious.

The top 1 (Heeney) is obvious. But the second most influential player on the ground in the first 2-3 quarters (when the game was won) was Rowy, closely followed by Chad. Daicos got a lot of touches - but didn't swing the match Collingwood's way.

Of course, the umps will award Daicos votes. But that doesn't make it right.

See I disagree, as I've stated, without Daicos we win by 80+ he was that good in a losing side. No complaints if they award him 2. I expect Gulden to get the 1 as he's the more flashy one, Chad is some chance. Not sure Rowbottom will poll, internally he will but this is the Brownlow we all know how it works.

Terrific win and can see so much improvement in the basics (ie team mates not spoiling each other, set shots on goal, junk time goals, etc) that it could be a very enjoyable end of season. The field kicking is extraordinary, very positive signs for the rest of the season especially with reinforcements coming back in a few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really intercepted a lot in this game, Chad was having a field day in the middle. Our pressure facilitated this but it also felt like it was something we were pushing in order to disrupt their flow and confidence to have them start to doubt.

We really intercepted a lot in this game, Chad was having a field day in the middle. Our pressure facilitated this but it also felt like it was something we were pushing in order to disrupt their flow and confidence to have them start to doubt.
One thing that was very noticeable was how flat and in amongst them we were. We would normally be a bit further in front of them. Some serious homework done I guess. It really worked.

Fox did an analysis of how Collingwood played last yr vs how they are performing this year. I feel like we have directly copied their play style this year to great effect

The AFLPA award is the biggest joke award of all time. Players are asked to vote who the best player of the year is when very few of them watch any games at all. Hence, they make their decision based mainly on what they read in the media.

Gonna need a source that afl players can read.

Brilliant to see our players equally desperate with hard running, second and third efforts, regardless of their standing in the team. On the weekend a commentator praised GWS for having a similarly hard work ethic across every member of their team, no matter their stature.

In the absence of Mills and Parker, Heeney is leading by example. His effort to keep on chasing Markov was the pressure that forced the turnover inside our 50. To see all of our guys working so hard for each other is inspirational. McCartin seems to be taking over Rampe's organisational role in defence. I see this as a positive for the defence as the full back sees more of the game ahead. I think it's also good for Rampe as it frees him to get the best out himself and the remainder of his career.

It's very early days but the two Sydney teams are really standing out from the pack. Most of the media praise is (predictably) going to GWS but it's clear we're shaping as the early flag favourites for many. By the time we play GWS in Round 8 both teams could be 7-0.

We'll play GWS off a six day break compared to their nine. A week later we'll face Freo in Perth then Carlton off another 6 day break. We have travel or short breaks before lots of tough games this year. The second time we play GWS we'll be coming off a trip to Adelaide.

The AFL has done us no favours with the fixture this year. The flip side is, if we manage to thrive in the H&A season, we'll have earned our finals place the tough way and hopefully we'll be ready to take it up a few notches.

i reckon mcinerney has been an inspiration with his running, in the same team-lifting way as rowbottom's tackling physicality. as demonstrated in the brilliant response from teammates to the degoey tackle... although not so much the umpires (ridiculous non-call!)

Last edited:
See I disagree, as I've stated, without Daicos we win by 80+ he was that good in a losing side. No complaints if they award him 2. I expect Gulden to get the 1 as he's the more flashy one, Chad is some chance. Not sure Rowbottom will poll, internally he will but this is the Brownlow we all know how it works.

yes, but that still doesn't mean he was more influential than at least 4-5 other swans players were in earning sydney the win (with heeney best on ground)

yes, but that still doesn't mean he was more influential than at least 4-5 other swans players were in earning sydney the win (with heeney best on ground)

Heeney was best on ground, Daicos was second non fussed if those are the two as they should on Brownlow night. Golden or Warner will get the 1

I didn't think it was one of his best games but yes, at the ground you could see how hard he worked. Collingwood didn't do themselves any favours with how high they pushed up but when we caused turnovers Logan was smart enough to punish them for it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back