Toast We triumph over Swans 80-73

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this. I've only been to the SCG once to see us play the Swans - in 2016 - and I didnt enjoy it at all (and we lost). Strange atmosphere. I'm an anxious white-knuckle fan, who never relaxes until we're 10 goals up at the 25 minute mark of the last quarter! But the Sydney fans that night, they were out for a bit of fun. Singing along at the breaks, drinking their white wine, even turning their back on the game to chat. Geezus! Footy isn't fun, its life and death! Didnt feel at all like a footy game.

There Fans are Theater Goers and Collingwood's Game might be the only game they go to all season

Why are people canning Madgen so hard?
Unless I was watching another game, Reid kicked about 5 on Howe and maybe 1 on him. Just because the commentators got it wrong and some how confused Howe/Madgen, doesn't make it true.

He's definitely not best 22, but Howe should be copping the heat, not him.
A few of his efforts were nowhere near the required standard and he seemed to be responsible for defensive structures breaking down.

Watching him run around in a few critical plays and it was like he was trying to run on a treadmill travelling 20km/h the opposite direction. Did not move.

Brodie should of got BOG even with S.Reid kicking six.
And therein lies the reason why the Brownlow is a midfielders award and why there is talk of every gun forward becoming a mid. The forward played the most perfect game that you could hope for, clunked everything that came his way and then kicked the ball magnificently. Meanwhile the big ruckman was involved in a heap more contests and whilst he lost a lot more of them than the forward and made some mistakes, the ruckman still probably had a bigger influence on the game.

Played without 4 walk up players, clangers galore, bad kicking for goal, headed in the last quarter and came back to win by 7 points.

I'd take that any day.
The bad kicking for goal....

We really should have closed out the game with the seven scoring shots more as at least 27 points to the good instead of just 7 behinds.

The bad kicking for goal....

We really should have closed out the game with the seven scoring shots more as at least 27 points to the good instead of just 7 behinds.
I know, walked out the room many, many, many times. Just couldn't watch (but took a radio with me):).

Winning ugly is way better than losing pretty!

I’ve been a vocal critic of Brown and Phillips but am coming to realise that I judged Brown too early. Sorry Cal! Not Phillips though - he’s still a panicky fumbly turnover merchant who isn’t improving.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watch the last quarter again. We were under real pressure early on and Phillips was working over time getting important touches in the back half to help us exit defence. Reckon he had half dozen in first 5 minutes. Involved in a number of handball chains.

Yes he make mistakes but all players do. But his work up and down the wing is crucial to us. He would be in first dozen selected each week. He has elite attributes that only Sidey can match.

Last edited:
Agree with this. I've only been to the SCG once to see us play the Swans - in 2016 - and I didnt enjoy it at all (and we lost). Strange atmosphere. I'm an anxious white-knuckle fan, who never relaxes until we're 10 goals up at the 25 minute mark of the last quarter! But the Sydney fans that night, they were out for a bit of fun. Singing along at the breaks, drinking their white wine, even turning their back on the game to chat. Geezus! Footy isn't fun, its life and death! Didnt feel at all like a footy game.

Me to a T VP. We could be related. Last night was shocking, but not for the tense game, but as you say, these bananas singing to the loud music, the excessive number of ads on the big screen, and these people have a god damn picnic, not even uttering a word, and looking at me as if I was a mental patient, every time I breathed the wrong way! I couldn't even speak to my mate sitting less than a foot away. I didn't know black Sabbath was playing at the SCG last night?

It's a religion VP. There is not other way to describe it. Just try and recall the feeling you had through the third term, before Mayne decided to pull out the party tricks and do a bicycle kick. We were cooked yes? But somehow we pulled it off? A miracle. That's a religion. Footy is dead in NSW. These people need a cup of tea and early to bed. Shut the operation down. Bring them back to South Melbourne.

I should note that at one point, one of our blokes slid across the boundary inside out F50, and I jokingly yelled out "it's a try! Where's the four points?!" That got me the biggest greasy of the night. FMD :drunk:

We should go to the footy some time. I would take pleasure in getting you revved up, just so I could ride the wave of ecstasy, as we accelerate away late in the game. It's always epic trying to convince tense people that everything will be all right, and see the euphoria at the end. But I'm with you. We should have been five or six goals to the good at half time too. But, that's footy!

Just flicked through the replay and there are two unsung heroes from the night I reckon:

Dayne Beams - didn't dominate but I swear all of our second half goals and chances came from his kicks inside 50. He's not an elite user but boy he creates chances and it's up to our forwards to gobble them up.

Brayden Maynard - took the super in-form Tom Papley for a ride. Completely pantsed him. Maynard is dominating the opposition's best small forwards week by week. I love the bloke.

Just flicked through the replay and there are two unsung heroes from the night I reckon:

Dayne Beams - didn't dominate but I swear all of our second half goals and chances came from his kicks inside 50. He's not an elite user but boy he creates chances and it's up to our forwards to gobble them up.

Brayden Maynard - took the super in-form Tom Papley for a ride. Completely pantsed him. Maynard is dominating the opposition's best small forwards week by week. I love the bloke.
We can share our love for Maynard. There is more than enough love for him to share around. He's tough and very effective. II don't bother checking his stats or highlights. I just take it for granted that he played well.

Sydney were always going to go the grind. We struggled but you have to scrap and and fight hard in these games. We won but probably one not to look on.

Go Pies.

Ps. Suck eggs Rampe.
Considering all our outs it was quite impressive. but the outs are really starting to show IMO and could cost us some games if some don't come back soon.

Watch the last quarter again. We were under real pressure early on and Phillips was working over time getting important touches in the back half to help us exit defence. Reckon he had half dozen in first 5 minutes. Involved in a number of handball chains.

Yes he make mistakes but all players do. But his work up and down the wing is crucial to us. He would be in first dozen selected each week. He has elite attributes that only Sidey can match.
I cringe when Flip prepares to dispose of the ball and often flinch when he does

BUT

Those who criticize need to look closely at how much he runs to provide that extra body at the contest - the amounts of contests he gets to is simply astonishing.

Yes his disposal is heart in the mouth stuff but he must spent half the match exhaustedly trying to get back his breath - this has an effect as any footballer will tell you.

The other thing to remember is that he is clearly viewed internally as lock in 22 and some of you can't understand why?

CONTESTED BALL

He is the extra man at all those contest he wills his aching legs to get to.

THAT is his role, he runs his heart out for our club and I for one am grateful for his courage and commitment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on Vicky Park and SwanDaneFan1991 surely even you sang along to Sweet Caroline 😊
It's kind of hard to sing to anything when the music blows out your ear drums! I'm just glad we won. Maybe I am becoming old and entitled. I need my swans scarf and picnic basket. Now where did I put it......:think:

Never AD! I rate Neil Diamond about as highly as I rate George Michael. That is - very low.

But I dont want to restart the BF George Michael wars.:oops:

"I'm your man". Now that's a song VP.

I think it's amazing no one outside of Collingwood rate Crisp - in the general media. He is the definition of an elite half back flanker. Huge game from him.

He keeps flying under the radar but I think the radar must be on the blink. Been sensational and durable which is a fairly important combination. Got to be in AA consideration you would hope.

Never AD! I rate Neil Diamond about as highly as I rate George Michael. That is - very low.

But I dont want to restart the BF George Michael wars.:oops:

Why VP? Why, did you have to go there? Our relationship was recovering... :'(

Was he trying to knock his patella back in place? That’s happened before from memory though not sure who it was? How serious would that injury be as in weeks missed?

Looke
Was he trying to knock his patella back in place? That’s happened before from memory though not sure who it was? How serious would that injury be as in weeks missed?

Agree looked bad

Darren cresswell is the famous one

5th in line or not---i'd rather give games to Kelly who couldn't do as any worse and he's as skinny as they come.
Goldsack was a far better option to play in defence last night.

have to disagree on Kelly.
I dont want another Weitering - he was dismantled as a player and became devoid of confidence by premature and prolonged exposure in the AFL, which is a lesson for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back