Analysis We Were Port Adelaide - Facts, Statistics, and Quotes

Remove this Banner Ad

So when do you shut your Facebook, Twitter, and forum thread down? Is it after you've had the coach sacked? Or would you also like the CEO and Chairman sacked? And then what if they don't replace them with people you're happy with do you just keep your page going and keep making memes and bagging list choices and draft picks? And how much money exactly would you like the club to lose in lost memberships? And how much time wasted on spreading your misery? Just interested at what point this all stops and you get back to supporting your club? Genuine question. I can't see how this ends well for anyone.
We're not supporters, we're members. That means holding the club leadership to account for failure.

If you want to just be along for the ride, that's fine. The losses won't hurt as much, and the victories won't be as sweet.

Please don't belittle the efforts of people who care enough to fight for a better PAFC.

So when do you shut your Facebook, Twitter, and forum thread down?

Don't know.

Is it after you've had the coach sacked?

Maybe.

Or would you also like the CEO and Chairman sacked?

I would.

And then what if they don't replace them with people you're happy with do you just keep your page going...

Probably.

...and keep making memes and bagging list choices and draft picks?

Facts aren't memes.

And how much money exactly would you like the club to lose in lost memberships?

Not my problem.

And how much time wasted...

Not much.

...on spreading your misery?

If you find these facts miserable, perhaps it is time you rethought your position.

Just interested at what point this all stops...

We'll see.

...and you get back to supporting your club?

I support my club. I don't support the individuals in charge of it.

I can't see how this ends well for anyone.

Oh well.

So when do you shut your Facebook, Twitter, and forum thread down? Is it after you've had the coach sacked? Or would you also like the CEO and Chairman sacked? And then what if they don't replace them with people you're happy with do you just keep your page going and keep making memes and bagging list choices and draft picks? And how much money exactly would you like the club to lose in lost memberships? And how much time wasted on spreading your misery? Just interested at what point this all stops and you get back to supporting your club? Genuine question. I can't see how this ends well for anyone.
What rhetorical bullshot. Answer your own deadhead questions in private please.

Alyx ruins Port Power.

Excuse me.
According to the recent PAFC media release, you should not use the reference of Port Power or Port for that matter. We prefer Port Adelaide or Power or the Power, but not the Power.
I suggest you go stand in the corner for 5 minutes and think about what type of a Port Adelaide or Power or the Power but not the Power supporter you have become. Naughty McQuack.

At what point did you accept failure Expat? Genuine question.

I would expect the answer to be "when the club begins to behave like Port Adelaide" — which doesn't mean "winning" necessarily, but being uncomfortable with losing and stopping with BS about it.

But that's me.

If you think any of Alyx's work has been anything other than passion for his club, then you clearly can't see the bigger picture here.

The club is destroying itself from within, and it's people with your attitude, not Alyx's, that will see its demise in the next decade or so.

But you keep fighting the good fight, buddy!

Who are "they" that you refer to ? Is it the AFL appointing board members and the chairman and not financial members voting for candidates?
I don't think posters on big footy or anywhere else, influence club financials or lost memberships. I tend to think it is more likely decisions made and the outcomes of both coach and club officials, including the department responsible for attracting (hello) club sponsorships. Past postings have contained factual information presented in a logical manner. Why define truth as spreading misery ? Unless the truth is confronting perhaps, which can occur at times.

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is opposed.
Third, it is accepted as self evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer

My guess is you are currently at stage 2.

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is opposed.
Third, it is accepted as self evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer

My guess is you are currently at stage 2.
I know a similar quote, but it has four stages. I goes something like this:

"First, they ignore you; then, they make fun of you; then, they fight you. Finally, you win."

I have no idea who have said it, though. Still, it is absolutely true about bad leadership and its consequences.

"First, they ignore you; then, they make fun of you; then, they fight you. Finally, you win."

I have no idea who have said it, though. Still, it is absolutely true about bad leadership and its consequences.

It could have been my ex wife because that's exactly what happened during my divorce, except the fourth stage, she won that too but I got to keep the dog, my undies and club membership so it wasn't all bad ☺

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At what point did you accept failure Expat? Genuine question.
That’s a great question. I’ve been a supporter for 45 years and a member for half as long and when people have asked why I barrack for Port my answer has always been that they’re the best club in Australia. So maybe I’d “accept failure” if I stopped believing that to be the case. I’ve always felt the clubs given me more than I’ve given them and that’s even after paying for 6 memberships a year, every year. Am I disappointed in the club right now, yep. Do I want two captains, no. Am I frustrated by our inconsistency, to the core. But I can still appreciate the things we’ve done well and I wouldn’t bag the club on Twitter and Facebook so that the bias media and opposition club supporters could use it as fodder and proof that we’re w***ers.

That’s a great question. I’ve been a supporter for 45 years and a member for half as long and when people have asked why I barrack for Port my answer has always been that they’re the best club in Australia. So maybe I’d “accept failure” if I stopped believing that to be the case. I’ve always felt the clubs given me more than I’ve given them and that’s even after paying for 6 memberships a year, every year. Am I disappointed in the club right now, yep. Do I want two captains, no. Am I frustrated by our inconsistency, to the core. But I can still appreciate the things we’ve done well and I wouldn’t bag the club on Twitter and Facebook so that the bias media and opposition club supporters could use it as fodder and proof that we’re w***ers.
The thing is that what made Port the best club in Australia was its uncompromising ruthlessness. The evidence appears to show that we have lost that. As the members are only permitted to elect a couple of token board members we have limited options to voice our objections in an effective way. Alyx is merely using one of those options.

Gandhi.

It could have been my ex wife because that's exactly what happened during my divorce, except the fourth stage, she won that too but I got to keep the dog, my undies and club membership so it wasn't all bad ☺

Learn from your mistakes. In future just skip the middle man - find someone you hate and buy them a house.

Fascinating thread!

On one one hand it certainly does show how passionate we Port Members & Supporters are.

There has been poor leadership shown by this club, from Prez down to players. The hugely frustrating thing to me is the manner in which we have been ignored, and brushed aside as ignorant and inconsequential. This sort of response is scream out to be heard, and really quite understandable.

What I totally disagree with though, is how quickly posters gang together to beat up and bully any others who disagree with said viewpoints! IMO, the moment you do that you lose! Certainly you lose out on an opportunity to stop and re-access you attitudes, stance & action. You lose out on an opportunity to further express and explain your argument, and instead of further alienating those who didnt understand your view, you might win them over - Strengthening, not weakening your cause.

For this reasoning I have given a :thumbsu: to Expat power's post. Not because I agree with him, but because I want to welcome and hear other viewpoints, and any subsequent return arguments. Both to strengthen my resolve, and/or to shape my future actions. For the same reason, I also gave a :thumbsu: to Relativity's short but excellent reply!

"They will never tear us apart" because we will do it first!

and I wouldn’t bag the club on Twitter and Facebook so that the bias media and opposition club supporters could use it as fodder and proof that we’re w***ers.

This isn’t sensitive info, or salacious rumour.

These are cold, hard facts, many of which counter the absolute nonsense being peddled by the club and its sycophants in the media by default.

"They will never tear us apart" because we will do it first!

Makes me chuckle when Rucci uses this chestnut in a bid to quell dissent.

A five year old gimmick that apparently outweighs the decades-old ethos of ‘clearing out the no-hopers’.

Sorry mate, I fully support everything else We Were Port Adelaide has posted but I reckon Adam Spurling has a fair point here. Every player or coach at every club is publicly 'a required player', 'an important part of our future', 'the right man for the job' etc until the very moment that they're officially gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back