"We were the Death Star of the league" - McGuire

Remove this Banner Ad

ShriekingShack

Senior List
Jun 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Collingwood president Eddie McGuire is reportedly a huge fan of Lego. McGuire, who boasts an impressive property portfolio, has credited a lot of his success to the popular toy brand, which he says laid the foundations for his success. "I used to stay up at night until 2am, 3am sometimes," McGuire said. "It would start off with one brick. Then one brick would become two. Before I knew it, I had this big beautiful project in front of me, which ended up being bigger, better and more beautiful than I could have possibly imagined. It inspired me". When asked if he had a favourite project in particular, McGuire says it's not what you would expect it to be. "I remember I once bought a Star Wars set. I was building the Death Star. I laid that first brick and thought how, in isolation, it looked so insignificant. Many hours and many bricks later, I had built the most feared weapon in the Star Wars universe". It taught McGuire the power of patience and perseverance, how constant, incremental improvement could grow anything into what you wanted it to be. "If you look at the Collingwood premiership team, each player is like a brick in a Lego Set. Pendlebury by himself won't win you the league, but if you put the right 21 bricks beside him, you all of a sudden have a Juggernaut of a team that should have also won in 2011, such was their dominance. We were the Death Star of the league". He applied the same mentality to his real estate portfolio. "Each house is just a brick in the overall set. Before you know it, you have something big, something amazing".

McGuire admits to still building Lego, having just finished Hogwarts Castle. "It serves as a constant reminder of how to achieve big things. Just one small addition at a time. Before you know it, you have created something else entirely".

Time will tell if Collingwood's 2019 Lego set has the right parts. Regardless, McGuire won't stop until he finds the right parts.

Last edited:
From Fox Sports:

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire is reportedly a huge fan of Lego. McGuire, who boasts an impressive property portfolio, has credited a lot of his success to the popular toy brand, which he says laid the foundations for his success. "I used to stay up at night until 2am, 3am sometimes," McGuire said. "It would start off with one brick. Then one brick would become two. Before I knew it, I had this big beautiful project in front of me, which ended up being bigger, better and more beautiful than I could have possibly imagined. It inspired me". When asked if he had a favourite project in particular, McGuire says it's not what you would expect it to be. "I remember I once bought a Star Wars set. I was building the Death Star. I laid that first brick and thought how, in isolation, it looked so insignificant. Many hours and many bricks later, I had built the most feared weapon in the Star Wars universe". It taught McGuire the power of patience and perseverance, how constant, incremental improvement could grow anything into what you wanted it to be. "If you look at the Collingwood premiership team, each player is like a brick in a Lego Set. Pendlebury by himself won't win you the league, but if you put the right 21 bricks beside him, you all of a sudden have a Juggernaut of a team that should have also won in 2011, such was their dominance. We were the Death Star of the league". He applied the same mentality to his real estate portfolio. "Each house is just a brick in the overall set. Before you know it, you have something big, something amazing".

McGuire admits to still building Lego, having just finished Hogwarts Castle. "It serves as a constant reminder of how to achieve big things. Just one small addition at a time. Before you know it, you have created something else entirely".

Time will tell if Collingwood's 2019 Lego set has the right parts. Regardless, McGuire won't stop until he finds the right parts.
Noted

From Fox Sports:

Lego is great.

Good for relieving stress, thinking and keeping to old noodle busy.

The majority of the premium or high price sets are bought by adults.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheer Squad set

images

So if Collingwood "were the Death Star of the league" does that mean Bucks is Darth Vader and Eddie is Paplatine or the other way around? It eventually explodes either way I guess...

And gets rebuilt before exploding again, and then is rebuilt for a 3rd time before being destroyed again. So is Eddie trying to say that Collingwood will continue to build lists that challenge for the flag before being destroyed at the last hurdle by an enemy they should beat, and that this happens over and over again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back