We will NOT win another Premiership with softy Adam Simpson.

Will we win another premiership under Adam Simpson?

• Yes

Votes: 38 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 32.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m not sure if this is where he was going with it but I’ll make this point.

If you follow the NBA - the Houston Rockets have been absurdly good over the last half decade. To look at this list and see they never even made the Finals you’d say is a giant failure, but you have to apply the context of the fact that they just kept running into one of the greatest teams of all time in Golden State again and again. A team very very few were ever going to get past. The Cavaliers got past them once, but if you showed their roster to a fan in 20 years and said “this roster only won one ring”, they’d be confused how that was possible and see it as a waste. In reality, their one ring was an absolute triumph of historic proportions.

I’m not saying that’s the sole reason for us, but you look at our list, or the Rockets in the NBA. and say man what a phenomenal list, how did that not win anything? Well, because there’s other factors.

Our peaks have coincided with two near dynasties in Hawthorn and Richmond. There’s the various disadvantages of tying to win the flag from outside Victoria. There’s some inbuilt advantages to that too, but I don’t think they level out. Would our list on a Victorian team win extra flags, with the three consecutive months of home games and all those perks? Maybe. Maybe not.

You make your own luck to a very large degree but there’s some things that just haven’t gone our way; injuries to key players at the wrong moments, ASADA suspension on the eve of finals. Equally we’ve contributed to that by not winning certain games and missing top four on percentage.

I don’t think you can ever just look and say “wow, how did that team not win”, because any given roster doesn’t exist in a vacuum.

Is it a disgrace that the mid 2000s era “only” won one flag? Does that make it a disgrace that the same era Sydney “only” won one?

What about the 2000 Bombers, who pissed the league with such ease and had so many key players in their prime. If it’s a disgrace that they “only” won once, what does that say about the Lions? Surely nobody would suggest it was a disgrace that anybody lost to them, they were a historically good outfit. What about a list as talented as GWS has been of late?

It’s just really really hard to win the premiership, let along multiple premierships. A lot has to go right and some of it isn’t up to anything you do right or wrong.
Nah Harden sucks :)

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Irrelevant for a decade and always banging on about things you won in nineteen dickety two in another competition?

Essendon awaits my dude.
Nah... championship this year.....

Pretty sure they will be even with Celtics for most championships ever.

I want that

WCErevival

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Go on.....
Pretty much what HB35 said. There are too many other variables to factor in like opposition strength, injuries, personal issues, the fixture, preseasons etc

The 2000 Bombers only won 1 flag. Same as Port of the early 2000s. Both good teams on paper.

Kellythatsit

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
So I just did a quick call around to all 17 other clubs to get their thoughts on us letting Simmo go:
  • 14 were very eager for us to get rid of him;
  • one said they don't GAF; and
  • the other two asked me to get back to them in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bluengold89

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Without reading through five pages of this thread, my view is Simpson is a great coach in terms of bringing together a group and galvanising a team, but I think he lacks in both an overall gameplan sense & also as a gameday coach. He's basically the opposite of Luke Beveridge who seems to run gameday like an NFL coach.

Overall though, Simpson has obviously been super successful and I'd continue to back him in post this year (+ this year was cooked), but i wouldn't mind us going after another experienced assistant coach for fresh eyes, but maybe not realistic with the decrease in soft cap. A dedicated tackling coach would be very handy, & it could probably be Yeo.

The wily weagle

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
He's a great tactical coach
He knows how to build relationships
And i respect that modern football involves the capacity to build relationships
But Simpson has taken it too far. Its all very well and good to be close to the players, but when your so close to them and are more concerned with being their friend, as opposed to be their coach, there is a problem

If you look at world sport, you will find quite a few "nice guy" coaches that have won a title

You will find a lot fewer, if any, that have won more than one

And zero "nice guy" coaches that have built a dynasty

Therein lies our predicament

Miguel Sanchez

Say hello!
Aug 10, 2006
Shandong Gold Stadium
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royal Pines Eagles
He's a great tactical coach
He knows how to build relationships
And i respect that modern football involves the capacity to build relationships
But Simpson has taken it too far. Its all very well and good to be close to the players, but when your so close to them and are more concerned with being their friend, as opposed to be their coach, there is a problem
Yeah clearly the problem is he’s too concerned with being the players’ friend. Just ask Schofield and Jetta.

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The Priddis situation is a good example as is Dean Cox's end and Darren Glass' as well. Simpson eventually (when the players themselves weren't understanding that their time was done) then had a chat and/or performance managed them out of the team. It would have been unpopular moves that he did with real understanding that keeps the list together.
He has always been banging on about the "squad mentality" since he got here and unfortunately that comes with a bit of leeway for the list but when it gets too far off track (see examples above) he makes the move he thinks is the best in a way that doesn't cause much upheaval and allows the list to move on. Its the reason why after finally cleaning up the midfield so Redden wasn't being shoe horned into a sh*t role that they were able to achieve what they did in 2018.
There is no way he is happy with the results and will always be working towards what he think will change them. Unfortunately with a softly softly approach the changes wont happen overnight but it will keep us a thereabouts overall with a chance at winning it all if a few things go our way.
He isn't on the match committee by himself nor is he in charge of recruiting and list management.

TLDR - I :hearts: Simmo

Dazzler10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2015
Krypton
AFL Club
West Coast
Geez what a sh!t thread.

Critical mass of injuries, caused by a compressed fixture, caused by 2020 Covid clusterf**k, derailed 2020 for us. The season was essentially a cr@pshoot with limited capacity to plan in advance like normal.

Simmo rules, OK!

greatwhiteshark

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
The club has failed two years in a row when we are well and truly in a premiership window. Saying we made finals or made it to the second week of finals is something Fremantle would be happy with.
We should of made top 4 the last two years and we didn’t.
There is no excuses for it when you are deep in your window.
Simmo is the coach and the buck stops with him, just as getting the credit for winning in 2018 went to him.
Can he deliver another flag the OP asks and the answer is yes he can, but some changes need to be made. I hope he can make the adjustments in how he gets his players to perform weekly with no days off, and his game plan.

Remove this Banner Ad