Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please develop Brander is posted under changes we want to see for 2021. So yeah, develop him, or free up the space.

Certainly no “dynasty or bust” mentality by me. But can you honestly objectively look at our list and say we have achieved to our full potential in 2019 and 2020?

No, we quite clearly haven’t.

That doesn’t mean that we never will again, and that also doesn’t mean that there isn’t a middle ground between premiership and complete failure.

There’s something to be said for being consistently in the conversation, even as the teams in that conversation change around you. It’s not always going to happen and sometimes it’s honestly not anyone’s fault. That’s just the nature of highly competitive professional sport - most teams are going to leave empty handed.

That doesn’t mean we stop trying or don’t bother trying to improve, it doesn’t mean you can’t want more, but it frustrates me when people see that and just chuck the toys out of the cot and act like second and eighteenth are on par. We have the sweetest gig in the world supporting this lot. Stay hungry but keep perspective.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
No, I don’t ever think it’s a good decision to play a third choice KPD as a forward pocket. It’s a baffling call.

What it doesn’t do is eliminate everything that Adam Simpson has done.

You’re saying “some people are happy to ride 2018” whilst wanting to string him up for one player selection in an eight goal loss from four years ago.

He’s won more than any other coach, though it seems win numbers don’t matter unless you also win the flag. But also that elimination final four years ago, which one player would have solved, would have got us one week further into the season and then what? We lose the semi, you’d complain. We lose the prelim, you’d complain. What difference does when you get knocked out make when you’re setting the bar at flag or bust.

You can’t win the flag every year, and that’s actually ok. You can want to win it every year, but if your expectation is a flag every year then you’re in the wrong business.
You could've replaced Brown with Eddie Betts in his prime and we're still not getting it done.

Was a shocking selection no doubt, but the Bulldogs went on to win the GF by beating a lot better sides than us that year.

Some people seem to think we have a God given right to win every final at home.

You could've replaced Brown with Eddie Betts in his prime and we're still not getting it done.

Was a shocking selection no doubt, but the Bulldogs went on to win the GF by beating a lot better sides than us that year.

Some people seem to think we have a God given right to win every final at home.

To be fair we should be winning every final at home. That’s the sort of high bar you should be setting as an elite club with a hunger for success.

Be flat about losing some, yes. I don’t think we should ever ‘accept’ losing finals at home. That’s part of why top four/top two is so huge for us.

You can have some pretty challenging targets and some very high bars on your non-negotiables. We should as a club, why not? We’re rich, we have a huge fan base, we have a great list, a great home field advantage. Aim ******* high.

If the end result doesn’t quite work out though, what I can’t deal with is the “we’re so weak and s**t” tears, as though we haven’t been the benchmark of this competition for three decades.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
He could have had us closer 2 times...

By not playing Brown

And playing Jetts/Schoey

2 absolutely STUPID calls....but yeah he himself won the 2018 premiership
That 46 point loss was solely down to Simpson picking Mitch Brown. Cost us the flag ffs.
fu** sake we’re back to the absolutism.

Mitch Brown in a forward pocket cost us the 2016 flag which would have been the first of a five-peat. If you disagree you clearly think it was a genius selection.

There can’t possibly be an in-between position where you think it was a stinker but ultimately not the difference between winning and losing a game.
Why do you campaigners keep bringing this up FFS??????

NauticalWeeklyGossamerwingedbutterfly-small.gif

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
From the outside he is exactly the sort of coach I'd like at my team and I'm sure plenty of other supporters would love him at theirs. I grew up in Richmonds dark years so I probably have pretty low standards but I feel like he has done a bang up job as coach. It's not just the internal that has to go right to win a flag. I would not be surprised at all if he won another flag, especially with the team you've got.

Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
We get it, you want to smash your TV when the sport team you chose doesn’t play well, so anyone who doesn’t must be weak.

Get the bloke from Slipknot in to really scream at the campaigners and we’ll walk this league.

Such a reductive way of viewing things - if you don’t smash a hole in the wall you don’t have passion or pride.

And anyway, didn’t I see posts about Simmo going after them during the Pies game?

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
People are talking a lot of sense here and I think it's time to consider other options now we've only won 1 flag, and made another GF in the last five years.
1) We need a head kicker. I hear Ross Lyon is free.
2) We've gone soft with the song. We should commission Slayer to do a rewrite. We're a big club, surely we should be making the most of it.
3) Since 2018, the turf at Optus has also soften and we've gone soft with it. We need to pump some more concrete underneath to harden it up. If there's any left over, give it to the players.

Fix these 3 things and we can be great again.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Trading Darling is the missing piece. If Simpson realizes this, he'll basically have one hand on the premiership cup already.
I reckon we could lure Cunnington over from North if we offer them a package of Darling (drops marks), Gaff (hack kicks) and McGovern (Barrass plays better without him). He could be the slow as treacle ball extractor that will set our midfield on fire.
Then get Malthouse in as midfield coach to do nothing but deliver the baked goods.
Flag is there for the taking.

SpicyNoodles

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Disagree with this. Was at the game and Simpson was very vocal at quarter time with the midfield group and the whole team from what I saw. The days of abusing and screaming at players is gone if that's what you're expecting and I have noticed he is more aggressive in the coaching box in recent times.

We have quite a few players that have been playing finals for 6 of the last 9 years. That takes its toll mentally and physically so it's no shame losing on Saturday night. Remember the additional games over the years in finals adds up to almost an extra year of games in a lot of the players over the journey.

Add this year with our 5 games in 19 days towards the end of the season and bringing in underdone players in Shuey etc never helps in a final.

The fact we only lost by a point is a massive plus and we could have snatched it if we kicked straighter.

You will be hard pressed to find a better coach for us right now.
Can see us winning it next year or the year after imo.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
We won a premiership without Nicnat...Gaff...Shep. We should be winning this s**t EVERY ******* YEAR

:think:

Go on.....

I’m not sure if this is where he was going with it but I’ll make this point.

If you follow the NBA - the Houston Rockets have been absurdly good over the last half decade. To look at this list and see they never even made the Finals you’d say is a giant failure, but you have to apply the context of the fact that they just kept running into one of the greatest teams of all time in Golden State again and again. A team very very few were ever going to get past. The Cavaliers got past them once, but if you showed their roster to a fan in 20 years and said “this roster only won one ring”, they’d be confused how that was possible and see it as a waste. In reality, their one ring was an absolute triumph of historic proportions.

I’m not saying that’s the sole reason for us, but you look at our list, or the Rockets in the NBA. and say man what a phenomenal list, how did that not win anything? Well, because there’s other factors.

Our peaks have coincided with two near dynasties in Hawthorn and Richmond. There’s the various disadvantages of tying to win the flag from outside Victoria. There’s some inbuilt advantages to that too, but I don’t think they level out. Would our list on a Victorian team win extra flags, with the three consecutive months of home games and all those perks? Maybe. Maybe not.

You make your own luck to a very large degree but there’s some things that just haven’t gone our way; injuries to key players at the wrong moments, ASADA suspension on the eve of finals. Equally we’ve contributed to that by not winning certain games and missing top four on percentage.

I don’t think you can ever just look and say “wow, how did that team not win”, because any given roster doesn’t exist in a vacuum.

Is it a disgrace that the mid 2000s era “only” won one flag? Does that make it a disgrace that the same era Sydney “only” won one?

What about the 2000 Bombers, who pissed the league with such ease and had so many key players in their prime. If it’s a disgrace that they “only” won once, what does that say about the Lions? Surely nobody would suggest it was a disgrace that anybody lost to them, they were a historically good outfit. What about a list as talented as GWS has been of late?

It’s just really really hard to win the premiership, let along multiple premierships. A lot has to go right and some of it isn’t up to anything you do right or wrong.

Last edited:

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m not sure if this is where he was going with it but I’ll make this point.

If you follow the NBA - the Houston Rockets have been absurdly good over the last half decade. To look at this list and see they never even made the Finals you’d say is a giant failure, but you have to apply the context of the fact that they just kept running into one of the greatest teams of all time in Golden State again and again. A team very very few were ever going to get past. The Cavaliers got past them once, but if you showed their roster to a fan in 20 years and said “this roster only won one ring”, they’d be confused how that was possible and see it as a waste. In reality, their one ring was an absolute triumph of historic proportions.

I’m not saying that’s the sole reason for us, but you look at our list, or the Rockets in the NBA. and say man what a phenomenal list, how did that not win anything? Well, because there’s other factors.

Our peaks have coincided with two near dynasties in Hawthorn and Richmond. There’s the various disadvantages of tying to win the flag from outside Victoria. There’s some inbuilt advantages to that too, but I don’t think they level out. Would our list on a Victorian team win extra flags, with the three consecutive months of home games and all those perks? Maybe. Maybe not.

You make your own luck to a very large degree but there’s some things that just haven’t gone our way; injuries to key players at the wrong moments, ASADA suspension on the eve of finals. Equally we’ve contributed to that by not winning certain games and missing top four on percentage.

I don’t think you can ever just look and say “wow, how did that team not win”, because any given roster doesn’t exist in a vacuum.

Is it a disgrace that the mid 2000s era “only” won one flag? Does that make it a disgrace that the same era Sydney “only” won one?

What about the 2000 Bombers, who pissed the league with such ease and had so many key players in their prime. If it’s a disgrace that they “only” won once, what does that say about the Lions? Surely nobody would suggest it was a disgrace that anybody lost to them, they were a historically good outfit. What about a list as talented as GWS has been of late?

It’s just really really hard to win the premiership, let along multiple premierships. A lot has to go right and some of it isn’t up to anything you do right or wrong.
Nah Harden sucks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back