Prediction We will Play Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Probably need 9 wins to make it so need 5 wins from 10 games. We play in no order after round 8

Round 8 Gold Coast

Adelaide
Port
Hawks
Lions
Freo
Dees
Lions
Cats
Tigers

We may need to play WCE and Freo in Perth still think we can beat Freo.

The 5 wins are Gold Coast, Crows, Hawks, Freo and Dees.

Hopefully we can win 2/3 of the remaining 5 games and finish higher on the ladder

Last edited:
I'm optimistic. On current form, reckon Adelaide and Hawthorn are wins which effectively gets us to 6-3, meaning we need 3 of the other 8.

I give us a decent chance against everyone else so I reckon we are around a 60-65% chance.

Need 3 wins in the next 5 games. Think we beat GC and Adelaide. Need on one win out of Tigers, Port and Lions. That will make us 7 wins 5 losses with 5 games to go. With hopefully Naughton and Dunkley back.
That means final five games against:
Hawks
Dees
Cats
Eagles
Dockers

At least we don't play Cats in Geelong for a change!! Likely get the Perth double though.

I'd say we need 6 more wins due to our poor percentage. With the ten teams we have not yet played, I think there is only 4 that I would consider myself confident to win if the game was to be played right now: Adelaide, Fremantle, Hawthorn and Melbourne. We need to make sure we win these winnable games otherwise we're just making it harder for ourselves. Means we have to beat 2 of Gold Coast, Richmond, Port Adelaide, Brisbane, West Coast or Geelong. I think this is doable. Agree it would be a step backwards if we did not make finals this year, and our objective should be not only to just make it there, but ruffle a few feathers and at least win one final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today will definitely tell us.
I'd expect us to beat Dees, Crows, Freo and Gold Coast. However as a bulldog supporter I have a feeling that we will be Adelaide's first and only win.
I don't expect us to beat Port, West Coast (In Perth) and Brisbane.
Richmond, Geelong and Hawthorn are the ones that will determine everything and could be any result. We will just have to wait.
I reckon we need 6 unless we flog a couple and then 5 would do.
It sucks that the three games we've lost have all been by a big margin.

I see the likes of Norf, Crows and a few others fading really badly. You are away from home, getting smashed on the park, injuries are piling up and a couple of your squad have returned home. Wins may become larger over the bottom teams if it ever stops pissing down in Qld.

Percentages may be out of the norm this year, or you could pick up significant percentage and be back in the ball park. Still think we should can round one though.

Going to need 10 wins given our percentage.

Game against Port is now massive.

drop that and the Brisbane game means we will need to win 5 of last 6.

last 6 are against
Crows
Cats
Eagles
Freo
Hawthorn
Melbourne

some winnable games in there, but it will be tight

If there are finals I think we will play. Not convinced the season will make it that far but fingers crossed!

An interesting thing, from our perspective, is that finishing between 5th and 8th may not be so great a disadvantage as it usually is (compared with those finishing in the top 4). Who knows where the finals will be played? Hopefully, we won't have to repeat our amazing 2016 victory Finals victory over the Eagles in Perth.

That could potentially be really good for us - looking at the current top 8 though I think it’s pretty set. It’ll be hard to replace any of those teams but there’s still plenty of time left in the season for things to change.

Five games to go we would need to win 4. Do not think we are playing well enough but if beat the Dees, we should beat the hawks and freo so we would need to beat either the cats or WCE. Lose to the Dees and season is over.
Regardless of the number of wins needed to make the eight, we need to notch a win over at least two of Melbourne, Geelong and West Coast if we're to believe we're any serious chance in the finals.

So far we've beaten no-one. The best of the sides we've beaten were probably Gold Coast (they were already on the slide after their hot start to 2020) and GWS (in nothing like their 2019 form).

If we can manage a win over Melbourne we have the prospect of some or all of Crozier, Cordy, Jong, Bruce, Schache, Vandermeer and Duryea becoming available in the coming weeks. Not all of them would come in but we could become pretty competitive with the addition of Crozier, Cordy, Vandermeer and maybe Bruce or Schache and Duryea.

They could replace R Smith, Gardner, West and maybe one or two of Lipinski/Richards/Dale/Lloyd.

EDIT: forgot about JJ. He's likely to be back in a week or two as well.

Last edited:
If we lose this week, we can pretty much pack it up. I think the top 6 is set and Collingwood is good enough to win enough to keep themselves in. If we lose this week we are essentially 2 games out given the Dees %.

Need to take care of business against Haw & Freo - that gets us 9 wins

Will need to beat either Geel or West Coast

Reckon we’ll rue letting that game against Port slip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back