Prediction We will Play Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

My ladder predictor

Screenshot_20200912-220946_AFL.jpg

We need to go into tomorrow's game that pumping Hawthorn by 10 goals, as remote as that is, is almost as good as a win.

That gives us an outside chance of still making finals if we lose by 1 point to Freo and Melbourne only beat Essendon by 1 point as well.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
It's simple. Win both, make it. Don't win both, don't make it. Not the worst position to be in. And to be honest if we don't win both we don't deserve to make it.

We were in pretty much the same position last year and we were good enough to get it done. No reason why we won't do it again.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We will beat the hawks but Freo will not be easy. Gardner will be playing on Hogan, Taberner or Lobb. Plus Fyffe and Walters normally play well against us.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Love to think we’ll take our chance now that all of these games have set us up.

Last year we actually did what we needed to in the last couple rounds but we’ve gone backwards since then.

When we start to show some capacity to do the non-negotiables (consistently beat teams below us on the ladder, put in 4 quarter performances, win games when we have a significant lead or have dominated the key stats) that’s when we will know we have finally left the shadow of 2016 behind.

I hope we take that step in the next two weeks.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Last year we actually did what we needed to in the last couple rounds but we’ve gone backwards since then.

When we start to show some capacity to do the non-negotiables (consistently beat teams below us on the ladder, put in 4 quarter performances, win games when we have a significant lead or have dominated the key stats) that’s when we will know we have finally left the shadow of 2016 behind.

Malthouse wrote a surprisingly good article in the HS today. He basically put our inconsistencies down to inexperience and lacked a couple of players. Having said that I think we will win both games and win at least one final

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

To be fair I think we’ve beaten every side below us this year, bar the Carlton game. We’ve pushed some top sides but last week was our first win against a side better than us.

It’s just reasonable to assume we are a dead set mediocre team this year, that may fall onto finals because there are a few mediocre teams around the same mark as us.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I always have had a fascination with that concept of "hitting our straps" can someone with a more worldly view on life please give
me the dummies guide to "hitting our straps". I got hit with the strap quite a lot in school growing up as i was a bit of a prick, but
it was never a good thing.
Hitting your straps is from a time when horses were harnessed to carts or sulkies via straps. So when extra effort was required and usually when the whip comes out it was known as hitting the straps i.e horses straining against the straps and going harder.
Not the colloquial floggings I received on a semi regular basis 😉
Seems to be an Australian expression, related to harness racing where the trotter (or pacer?) gets into a rhythm and takes up any slack in the harness (the straps). But I don't think anyone is 100% sure that's the correct etymology. It is unheard of in the US but may have entered UK English.

I copped the strap a bit, as well as the cane, having spent my primary years in both Vic and NSW. The two jurisdictions always have to be different to each other. It was a badge of honour for us kids. We used to compare our tally each term.

So did getting hit with the strap improve your demeanour over the years? You seem like a nice chap these days ... or are you still a bit of a prick?

And if so, which bit?
No, on second thoughts, I don't want to know.
It is either Trotters or Pacers as both are harnessed to the sulky via a trace strap. When you ask the horse for extra effort it is colloquial known as hitting the straps

wian

Premiership Player
May 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NZ Breakers / New York Knicks
I've got a feeling if we beat Freo, Collingwood are going to win their last 2 and upset Port at the Gabba which would mean we will play WCE in Perth. Hope im wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've got a feeling if we beat Freo, Collingwood are going to win their last 2 and upset Port at the Gabba which would mean we will play WCE in Perth. Hope im wrong
There is some doubt about whether WC Eagles get a home final. I'd rather play someone else if we get there but at the end of the day you have to beat the best teams to win it. It seems that there a number of teams better than us ...generally. Just gotta get on a run if we make it..and that can happen.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Not if Giants beat the Saints next week. We could definitely play WCE if we win next week but it’s pretty unlikely.

In saying that, remember what happened last time we went to Perth in an elimination final as a massive underdog...

John Smith92

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is it reasonable to call freo a danger game? To me, danger games are against clearly inferior teams where there's a chance complacency might slip in. I think everyone can see that freos been playing very solid footy for the last couple of months and could beat us on merit, so more a good test to see if we deserve finals. Tbh I think they beat us with the extra days break, they have good tall forwards to take advantage of our relative weakness down back and a solid midfield that we will struggle to dominate, which we generally need to do to get a win.

Martyn_30_

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is it reasonable to call freo a danger game? To me, danger games are against clearly inferior teams where there's a chance complacency might slip in. I think everyone can see that freos been playing very solid footy for the last couple of months and could beat us on merit, so more a good test to see if we deserve finals. Tbh I think they beat us with the extra days break, they have good tall forwards to take advantage of our relative weakness down back and a solid midfield that we will struggle to dominate, which we generally need to do to get a win.

Freo are 7 and 9, have won two in a row against Melbourne and Norf, were smashed a few weeks ago by the Giants at home. If the side can’t win they don’t deserve to be playing finals, Freo right now are an ordinary team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Freo are 7 and 9, have won two in a row against Melbourne and Norf, were smashed a few weeks ago by the Giants at home. If the side can’t win they don’t deserve to be playing finals, Freo right now are an ordinary team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Basically agree. They are coming for sure and will be a good side, but they’ve usually been touched up by sides in the eight and have beaten up on sides lower on the ladder.

Doesn’t mean they can’t win, but we’ve won more games with a better percentage. We are deserved favourites.

Question: If we hadn’t lost Woody and Vandwrs and beat geelong, how much more confident would you feel going into finals?

I'm a Dogs supporter; I'm never confident.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Question: If we hadn’t lost Woody and Vandwrs and beat geelong, how much more confident would you feel going into finals?
If we get those 2 back for finals we'll be competitive at least. I think we're coming good at the right time. Freo are absolutely no gimme, but if we get over them with a week off to follow, well, the opposition, whoever that may be, won't be taking us lightly.

May 22, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So, if we do lose next week, we still make finals, as long as Melb and GWS lose.

If the unthinkable happens and the Suns beat the Pies tomorrow, we only need either GWS or Melbourne to lose to make it, if we lose to Freo. In that scenario, Collingwood would need to lose to Port as well, but I see that as probable.

Interesting thing is that by game time on Sunday, we could have a finals spot already secured if GWS and Melb both drop the ball. Odd scenario!

Please Dogs, just make this all a LOT easier and win next week 😂

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So we hope the suns beat the pies in the final game of this round highly unlikely. If that happens we need the pies to lose to port or dees to lose to the bombers and saints to beat the giants. If these go the wrong way we need to beat Freo.

I feel the most likely is we beat Freo, the pies beat the suns but lose to port and we finish 7th and play the saints. We would be a good chance in that one but I think that would be it.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In case anyone has not seen Essendon play the past few weeks, they are truly horrendous and not even Melbourne will throw that one.

We have to win, and if we’re a finals quality side we will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back