Team Captain
Suspended
Oct 8, 2004
Newcastle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pies,Bulls,Liverpool,AUFC
I watched the game yesterday and was of course very dissapointed but what I was happy about is the fact that maybe we needed to have a season like this. I think MM is one of the best coaches in the game and we should not even consider giving him the flick. We have so far this season lost our 1,2,3,4 ruckmen at some stage. 1 Fraser, 2 Richards, 3 Rocca, 4 Cam Cloke. 5 of our best 6 forwards at some stage, one of the best players of all time in the mid field and a few backline players from time to time. Now yes we do need to get some youth and pace and enthusiasum into the team but this is the time to do it, even if it does mean taking home that wooden spoon. Selecting 2 young gun mid fielders with the priority picks in the draft and also recruiting a top line free agent would be a great start. Woewoddin, Obree, Williams, Lonie contracts will be gone so you would think combined some where around $600k-$800k to spend on a gun recruit. Add in 2 top draft selection and of course possible some 2nd round good youth. Bring back in a fit healthy Rocca, Buckley, Fraser, Didak, Davidson, Davis, Richards, and we have a very solid and capable team.

So yes at the moment we look very poor, yes we have injuries and players not 100% fit but play the kids, get the priority picks and watch and enjoy the turn around. Richmond have proved it can be done, and so can we.

I agree but there are still some worrying signs. There just doesn't seem to be enough pride in the jumper. There are blokes out there at the moment who look like they are playing as if it is their right to be there. They should be made aware (and hopefully it's this week) that the Collingwood guernsey is something you have to earn.

That is why I have had great pleasure watching Rhyce Shaw this year. When you consider how much crap this bloke has received to turn it around the way he has is marvellous. You can tell he WANTS to play!

Rhyce Shaw wants to play for Collingwood, not just playing for Collingwood because thats where I ended up attitude.

There is no doubt injuries have hit us hard. We have lost our most important players and we lack depth. Our lack of depth is due in part to our poor late 90's drafting and the poor recent drafting as well as a lack of development in the players we drafted from 1999 to 2001.

That doesn't explain dispirited performances and you never lose by 112 points if you go out to play. I wondered whether MM had lost the players. Now I am sure he has and the handling of Burns proves it finally to me and IMO will deepen it. He has to go.

Even if I am wrong, if that is what we turn out then we may as well punt on someone else - Blight, McGuane, Alves - any or all would be something better than knowing we have no chance which is where we now are.

Apart from the coach we have to change the football department. Assistant coaches, skills coaches, recruiters, traders. They have all failed and they have to go.

It is time to start again. Now is the best time to start.

The recruiting office needs a good kick in the behind.
Seriously, how much would we give for a Nick Stevens now?
We have few quality midfielders and some kids that aren't ready to take on the role.
Leon Davis/ Andrew Williams have had too many lifelines and Woewodin just has to go.
Thank goodness for triers like Paul Licuria, Scott Burns and yes, I'm going to say it, Rhys Shaw.

The questions we really have to ask are is it time for Buckley to retire and is Chris Tarrant trade bait?

pride in the jumper can only go so far.

we have got so many young players that no matter how much pride they have there not going to change that result that much.

heres the thing that ppl have to realise we have played 7 games now 1 we were blown away by a team that flogged melbourne last week (the score gave melbourne to much credit). 1 that we were beat by 38 points or so by a team that has been spoken about as posible premiership team. and thats with what 6-8 injuries to our main players.

the other 5 we were with out alot of players and we lost them by less then 3 kicks

Four weeks ago the Dockers were at rock bottom after a pathetic display at the G.

Captain gets senior players together so they can tell each other a few home truths. Players apologise to their supporters and pull their fingers out.

Your loss to Freo has been your only shocker of the year, and you should/could have beaten Essendon and Kangaroos.

You can turn it around with some serious soul-searching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back