We won! Yay! Thoughts on the game and changes against the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Thought I'll post this here as well

Missed the game, what's the general takeaways? Any real change in how things looked with the ball movement, seems like Cogs put up big numbers as a midfielder, how HH look down back? Wehr on debut? Any other positional changes?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
It's going to depend on who's back. Given they went out for illness, I'll assume Preuss and Ash will be available. Taranto with his back is the unknown from the later 3. Whitfield and Haynes previously for injury/illness also unknowns. Presumably Finn not available.

Despite liking Flynn's game, I'd have to bring Preuss back - I just think he does more around the ground for us.

Ash for O'Halloran; he'll provide more.

I didn't think Brander did enough, so happy to bring Whitfield back for him if he's over his injury, or Haynes otherwise. I know both of those guys have struggled, but I'd still think they'll be named if available. Happy to keep Wehr down back.

HH seemed fine down back, but Lions will be a bigger test. Sproule was solid up front without being great (as he was last year) and second ruck too, so can stay.

Peatling was great forward - he's a "must keep".

If TT comes back, it should be MdB who goes out not Bruhn or Peatling ... although I won't be unhappy if TT's back needs more rest. Perryman was full of fight in the middle, probably better 2-way running albeit still slow.

Still, it all rests on who is available, and what the new coaching panel wants.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
It's going to depend on who's back. Given they went out for illness, I'll assume Preuss and Ash will be available. Taranto with his back is the unknown from the later 3. Whitfield and Haynes previously for injury/illness also unknowns. Presumably Finn not available.

Despite liking Flynn's game, I'd have to bring Preuss back - I just think he does more around the ground for us.

Ash for O'Halloran; he'll provide more.

I didn't think Brander did enough, so happy to bring Whitfield back for him if he's over his injury, or Haynes otherwise. I know both of those guys have struggled, but I'd still think they'll be named if available. Happy to keep Wehr down back.

HH seemed fine down back, but Lions will be a bigger test. Sproule was solid up front without being great (as he was last year) and second ruck too, so can stay.

Peatling was great forward - he's a "must keep".

If TT comes back, it should be MdB who goes out not Bruhn or Peatling ... although I won't be unhappy if TT's back needs more rest. Perryman was full of fight in the middle, probably better 2-way running albeit still slow.

Still, it all rests on who is available, and what the new coaching panel wants.
Maybe drop Sproule instead of Flynn?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Maybe drop Sproule instead of Flynn?
Think it depends on what they want. I would probably do that - as I've said in the past, I think Flynn makes us more competitive in the F50, as well as providing the ruck chop out. But Sproule IMHO makes us more competitive in the F50 too - not in the same style as Flynn though; he's more mobile.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Loved the work of Matty Flynn in the ruck and the Lions aren't elite in the ruck so it should be another good one for Flynn to Fly the Flag ;)
Wehr needs to play again. He was great.
Peatling was just about BOG with 23 touches and 3 goals also needs to stay in the team.
Himmelberg will stay down back especially if Haynes is still out.
Ward... hmmm... See if it was a choice out of Bruhn and Ward for the same spot I would be taking Bruhn, Ward gets caught holding the ball all the time and seems too slow now.
Cogs will stay in the middle and looked good.
Riccardi and Hogan are our best Key Forward combination.
Bobby Hill still pretty unproductive, does his usual 2 things per game but is more like a ghost.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
A flat-track bully sort of win. Better than losing, but nothing to get excited about.

Flynn takes some nice marks, but gets caught out by more nimble opponents. Nice debut from Wehr. Peatling was very good. He seems determined to make the most of his chances.

Gonna be a tough road trip this week.
How often do we normally lose the ones we should win though?

Will take flat track bully title for once. Just means you get the job done when you have to.
Yes it will be a tough week against the Lions and they will be pretty pi$$3d about losing to the Hawks.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Some nice positives in terms of game play. You could see players really trying hard to get access to the corridor which was positive.

Of concern to me was the defense. They are a team that can’t move the ball and they kicked 80 on us. I thought we were really poor at repelling inside 50’s. The best teams in the comp go at just under 25% of inside 50’s converted to goals and we allowed almost a third of inside 50 entries to convert to goals

It’s something that Brisbane will blow up if not fixed as they will generate far more opportunities

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
The Hawks disorientated and defeated the Lions today with fast, aggressive, courageous ball movement.

We took a welcome step in that direction today, but will have to go up a gear or two to be competitive against the Lions.

The good news is that our players now have a taste for that game style, but we need more over all four - not three - quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Good week to be implementing a new game plan, players can figure out which aspects of it worked and feel free to take risks and really push the limits of the new style without much risk of losing. Refine the plan over the week study which parts worked and won't work next week and another week of working on it throughout training hopefully we're in a decent position to flesh it out against Brisbane and put up a fight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Hawks disorientated and defeated the Lions today with fast, aggressive, courageous ball movement.

We took a welcome step in that direction today, but will have to go up a gear or two to be competitive against the Lions.

The good news is that our players now have a taste for that game style, but we need more over all four - not three - quarters.

And helped by nine goals from free kicks so that part might be harder to replicate. ;)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Hey guys, congrats on a big win.
With regards to Peatling was he tried in a new position this weekend?
Hadn't heard of him before but he looked great
Ex-GWS Academy kid out of western Sydney. Picked him up in the MSD last year (playing for our VFL team) and played a few games pretty much straight away. Mainly down back as a rebounding defender; fairly similar in mould to Adam Kennedy, but probably physically replaced Sam Reid.

We have played him forward before, certainly once that I recall, and he was originally in his U18 time a forward before being re-purposed as a defender.

He looked good and hopefully keeps his spot.

And hopefully you're not thinking of stealing him away to Bombers! ;)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Hello Giants any news on the Whitfield injury? Cheers
No, and don't look to comms from the club for clarification, they tend to be patchy (which frustrates us all). I presume this is for your SC or AF team? We think he's been carrying an injury all year, so wouldn't be surprised if he's given given a rest, especially with the bye coming up after this next game - missing it would give him a solid 4 week block between games.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Last game Brisbane played Hipwood (still coming back from a long lay-off), Fort/McInerney as resting ruck/third KPF & Jack Payne. I really can't see a Taylor/HH/Idun KPF defence being entirely effective against those players with that height.

I also thought Idun had one of his least effective games against WCE, which may have been the result of the matchup he had.

This is not offering a solution, just noting the starting point for thinking about next week's team.

Dayne Zorko is also particularly effective for Lions coming pout of their D50, so we should look carefully at that match-up. I would think that Peatling might be useful there - hopefully to negate his influence.

The Charlie Cameron match-up in our defence is also critical. But can't ignore the rest of Brisbane's small/medium attackers who all go pretty well. Despite their defeat, they scored 112 points, so they're pretty potent in attack.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
No, and don't look to comms from the club for clarification, they tend to be patchy (which frustrates us all). I presume this is for your SC or AF team? We think he's been carrying an injury all year, so wouldn't be surprised if he's given given a rest, especially with the bye coming up after this next game - missing it would give him a solid 4 week block between games.
Happy to rest him all the way up to the bye round and give him plenty of time to get right

Ex-GWS Academy kid out of western Sydney. Picked him up in the MSD last year (playing for our VFL team) and played a few games pretty much straight away. Mainly down back as a rebounding defender; fairly similar in mould to Adam Kennedy, but probably physically replaced Sam Reid.

We have played him forward before, certainly once that I recall, and he was originally in his U18 time a forward before being re-purposed as a defender.

He looked good and hopefully keeps his spot.

And hopefully you're not thinking of stealing him away to Bombers! ;)

Haha no stealing.
Wife supports you guys and first time in awhile I've sat down and watched them and he looked great.
Then checking stats seemed he had played earlier in the year for not as much impact.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
IMG_6981.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back