News Weber, Rock, and Prior gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

It was Jade Rawlings according to media personnel who knew about.

We knew about it because Liam Pickering is his manager and he mentioned it on the radio a couple of days after JLo was appointed.

How do you guys think things would be if we had hired Rawlings as our coach instead of Longmuir? Any different or pretty much the same?

How do you guys think things would be if we had hired Rawlings as our coach instead of Longmuir? Any different or pretty much the same?
I really doubt we get a lot of difference in our performance until Pearce, Logue, Hamling and Hogan are in the team and/or Sturt, Valente, Young, Serong and Henry get their 50 games up. Despite some differences this season is fairly similar to last season with big injury impact and us hobbling to the end of the season. Rawlings wouldn’t have impacted that.

Last edited:
So Weber was the guest on the latest Brukie and Burgo podcast. I had a listen this morning, and the relevant points about Freo as best I can remember:

- He was introduced by Burgo (Darren Burgess) as one of the finest operators he'd ever worked with

- Weber said he was shocked at the sudden dismissal, though he had considered it a possibility at the end of the season. Burgess agreed it had shocked him too and was incredulous that any AFL club wouldn't recognise what a fine operator Weber was

- Weber said when he arrived at the club there was poor coordination between the medical depts like physio and S&C and that the S&C coaches at the time were too inexperienced to understand what was required at this level. Said there was much better integration of the different depts now

- Said he understood the injury toll issue was a big factor, but said most were impact injuries, and the soft tissue injuries they did have had a couple of significant other factors involved that he didn't want to go into

- Said injury prevention required whole club buy in and that people didn't realise 99% of the workload players did was with the footy coaches. Said his job was to try educate all the relevant stakeholders but you don't always get listened to (I'm paraphrasing here)

- Said players also need to take responsibility for the condition they present to the club in and those who thought they could just show up and rely on the few hours out on the grass each day would struggle. Named Serong as one who presented to the club on day 1 in immaculate condition

- Said Lyon was extremely talented when it came to matters of player psychology and he could always sound him out for how to get what they wanted out of a player

- Named Fyfe as the best athlete he'd worked with in footy (Ben Tune in rugby). Said Fyfe is a 'different' individual and they didn't get along at first, until Fyfe was struggling with persistent OP and they sat down together to map out a program to fix him. Said once he'd earned Fyfe's trust Fyfe was ultra-professional in his dedication to following every program set for him

Look, I want to laugh at his SLIGHTLY biased perspective but the proof will be in the results of the next person to come in.

Additionally, the bloke had 12 years at the helm with very limited results that spoke for themselves over his whole tenure but from that report estibador it sounds like there was a whole lot of buck passing in one interview

So Weber was the guest on the latest Brukie and Burgo podcast. I had a listen this morning, and the relevant points about Freo as best I can remember:

- He was introduced by Burgo (Darren Burgess) as one of the finest operators he'd ever worked with

- Weber said he was shocked at the sudden dismissal, though he had considered it a possibility at the end of the season. Burgess agreed it had shocked him too and was incredulous that any AFL club wouldn't recognise what a fine operator Weber was

- Weber said when he arrived at the club there was poor coordination between the medical depts like physio and S&C and that the S&C coaches at the time were too inexperienced to understand what was required at this level. Said there was much better integration of the different depts now

- Said he understood the injury toll issue was a big factor, but said most were impact injuries, and the soft tissue injuries they did have had a couple of significant other factors involved that he didn't want to go into

- Said injury prevention required whole club buy in and that people didn't realise 99% of the workload players did was with the footy coaches. Said his job was to try educate all the relevant stakeholders but you don't always get listened to (I'm paraphrasing here)

- Said players also need to take responsibility for the condition they present to the club in and those who thought they could just show up and rely on the few hours out on the grass each day would struggle. Named Serong as one who presented to the club on day 1 in immaculate condition

- Said Lyon was extremely talented when it came to matters of player psychology and he could always sound him out for how to get what they wanted out of a player

- Named Fyfe as the best athlete he'd worked with in footy (Ben Tune in rugby). Said Fyfe is a 'different' individual and they didn't get along at first, until Fyfe was struggling with persistent OP and they sat down together to map out a program to fix him. Said once he'd earned Fyfe's trust Fyfe was ultra-professional in his dedication to following every program set for him
Point 4 - between the lines - Ross made the talls run and run and run till they broke down mid season year after year

Look, I want to laugh at his SLIGHTLY biased perspective but the proof will be in the results of the next person to come in.

Additionally, the bloke had 12 years at the helm with very limited results that spoke for themselves over his whole tenure but from that report estibador it sounds like there was a whole lot of buck passing in one interview

Yeah look, it probably sounds worse written down and I'm paraphrasing something I listened to 12 hours ago on the way to work, but I tried to represent what he said as fairly as I could.

The 'couple of other factors' he didn't want to go into intrigued me. I'm assuming it wasn't just the short Covid preseason because that wouldn't be particularly controversial to bring up.

He also said that sometimes when coaches don't listen to you it works out, and sometimes it doesn't.

The 'couple of other factors' he didn't want to go into intrigued me.
That's what people say when they don't want to take any responsibility. There's always been some convenient excuse why our injury list has been appalling for so long. "Bad luck", "impact injuries", "all clubs get a few soft tissue injuries", "it was complicated", "unlucky"...

Wish him the best of luck but (a) we needed a fresh start (b) we need someone whose main focus isn't finding excuses for poor outcomes.

That's what people say when they don't want to take any responsibility. There's always been some convenient excuse why our injury list has been appalling for so long. "Bad luck", "impact injuries", "all clubs get a few soft tissue injuries", "it was complicated", "unlucky"...

Wish him the best of luck but (a) we needed a fresh start (b) we need someone whose main focus isn't finding excuses for poor outcomes.

We were bordering on insanity the way we were doing the same s**t and hoping for different results every year. He should have been goneski after 2015.

Yeah look, it probably sounds worse written down and I'm paraphrasing something I listened to 12 hours ago on the way to work, but I tried to represent what he said as fairly as I could.

The 'couple of other factors' he didn't want to go into intrigued me. I'm assuming it wasn't just the short Covid preseason because that wouldn't be particularly controversial to bring up.

He also said that sometimes when coaches don't listen to you it works out, and sometimes it doesn't.

Mate we are lucky to have had that review. Much appreciated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Denial is a river in Egypt

I'm assuming some of the other factors are going to be ground related given the kerfuffle about Optus the first couple of years. Possibly cockburn as well, who knows.

I’m on Weber’s side and always have. There is only so much he could have done. Some are bad luck and some the players need to take their job more seriously. They all do the same program but some players look like Greek gods and others look like middle aged dads. That difference is player professionalism and nothing more which is the uncontrollable with regards to injuries. There is a reason immaculate preparers like Mundy and Pav play over 300 games and others are retired by 25

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m on Weber’s side and always have. There is only so much he could have done. Some are bad luck and some the players need to take their job more seriously. They all do the same program but some players look like Greek gods and others look like middle aged dads. That difference is player professionalism and nothing more which is the uncontrollable with regards to injuries. There is a reason immaculate preparers like Mundy and Pav play over 300 games and others are retired by 25

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Didn't you hear? There is no such thing as luck. Results are all that matter. Context is for girlymen.

Didn't you hear? There is no such thing as luck. Results are all that matter. Context is for girlymen.
lol this is possibly the dumbest thing I've read on here in a while. I might tell my employees to come into their next performance reviews from now on and say everything is just bad luck.

Us not winning a premiership yet has nothing to do with performance fellow Freo fans, we've just been incredibly unlucky. Why change anything? Surely our luck will turn around as if by magic sometime.

Googled the podcast. It’s a 54min show. May have a listen when I have the time.

Thanks estibador for the summary :thumbsu:

——-

For those defending Weber...

I’ll be blunt here.
If he
- can’t make/convince coaches to set the correct workload
- can’t make/convince the stakeholder to follow his injury prevention methods,
- can’t make/convince players to follow their training plans outside of the club,
- can’t prevent impact injuries (this is fair)
- can’t talk about what happen with soft tissue injuries (totally preventable), even though he have spoken a lot and shifted the blame for everything else to others ;-|

I’ll say he is totally ineffective and unnecessary, since he is doing nothing. we won’t be missing him at the club I think.

Remember someone saying once “abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym” which I guess is my way of backing up that it’s a player’s professionalism at home away from work that’s key. No boozing, no burgers, no late night bars. You’re a bloody athlete ffs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back