#WeDriveAsOne

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted this in the ticketing thread, but thought it would be handy here too:

For those that haven't made transport plans yet.

Bus: The CSG have booked 15 buses for the exodus. Some will leave 10:00pm Thursday night, some Friday night from Titantium Security Arena (that's the Powerhouse for those still stuck in 97/98 :D ). The Friday buses will have a breakfast in Ballarat Saturday morning. All buses will return 10:00pm Saturday night and back Sunday morning (in time for the celebrations at Adelaide Oval Sunday should we be the Premiers). Cost is $150 return for CSG members and $165 return for non-CSG members. More info on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/crowssupportersgroup/.

Firefly also have extra buses on. $115 each way - Depart around 8:15pm each way. Firefly have two stops - one at the United Roadhouse at Tintinara and another at the big Caltex just outside Ararat (but is really in the middle of nowhere) https://www.fireflyexpress.com.au/FFNew/Index.asp

V/Line also offer services. The bus there departs Friday morning to Bendigo, where you transfer to a V/Line train into Melbourne, so about 2 hours longer. Trip back is direct, but train to Ararat, bus to Horsham and then connect to the bus in Adelaide is about an hour quicker apparently (not sure how that works as ultimately you connect to the same bus in Horsham. This is around $125 return - one for those that want to do the trip Amazing Race style :D https://www.vline.com.au/?tab=plan-trip

Train: GSR in their efforts to cater to the tourist markets for The Ghan and Indian Pacific have all but neglected the Overland service between Adelaide and Melbourne (it pretty much runs on government subsidies, particularly from the Vics to have train services past Ararat). Still, there is a service that heads off Friday morning from Adelaide for $150. The return train, however, isn't until Tuesday, and it's $100.

Flights: You better be sitting down. Here's what you're looking at:
Qantas: Friday ranges from $419-$774. Sunday starts at $765, with non-direct flights into 4 digits
Virgin: Friday ranges from $454-$708. Sunday ranges from $448-$702
Jetstar: Friday is $468. Sunday ranges from $368-$468
Tiger: Friday is $439. Sunday ranges from $359-$439

Car: Fuel is about $1.35/litre at the moment. If anyone needs a ride along the Dukes/Western highway I'm sure that can be arranged.

Last edited:
I posted this in the ticketing thread, but thought it would be handy here too:

For those that haven't made transport plans yet.

Bus: The CSG have booked 15 buses for the exodus. Some will leave 10:00pm Thursday night, some Friday night from Titantium Security Arena (that's the Powerhouse for those still stuck in 97/98 :D ). The Friday buses will have a breakfast in Ballarat Saturday morning. All buses will return 10:00pm Saturday night and back Sunday morning (in time for the celebrations at Adelaide Oval Sunday should we be the Premiers). Cost is $150 return for CSG members and $165 return for non-CSG members. More info on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/crowssupportersgroup/.

Firefly also have extra buses on. $115 each way - Depart around 8:15pm each way. Firefly have two stops - one at the United Roadhouse at Tintinara and another at the big Caltex just outside Ararat (but is really in the middle of nowhere) https://www.fireflyexpress.com.au/FFNew/Index.asp

So this year it looks like the CSG is the cheaper option for those travelling by bus.

Train: GSR in their efforts to cater to the tourist markets for The Ghan and Indian Pacific have all but neglected the Overland service between Adelaide and Melbourne (it pretty much runs on government subsidies, particularly from the Vics to have train services past Ararat). Still, there is a service that heads off Friday morning from Adelaide for $150. The return train, however, isn't until Tuesday, and it's $100.

Flights: You better be sitting down. Here's what you're looking at:
Qantas: Friday ranges from $419-$774. Sunday starts at $765, with non-direct flights into 4 digits
Virgin: Friday ranges from $454-$708. Sunday ranges from $448-$702
Jetstar: Friday is $468. Sunday ranges from $368-$468
Tiger: Friday is $439. Sunday ranges from $359-$439

Car: Fuel is about $1.35/litre at the moment. If anyone needs a ride along the Dukes/Western highway I'm sure that can be arranged.
Another tip, if you don't mind travelling during the day is to even look on the V/Line website to see what their buses are like. They code share with Firefly on some services but are cheaper since the Vic Gov runs it. Instead of paying $70 booking through Firefly I paid $30 as a healthcare card holder for my bus back to Ballarat today.

Another tip, if you don't mind travelling during the day is to even look on the V/Line website to see what their buses are like. They code share with Firefly on some services but are cheaper since the Vic Gov runs it. Instead of paying $70 booking through Firefly I paid $30 as a healthcare card holder for my bus back to Ballarat today.

$125 return - The trip there is via Bendigo, while return leg is direct

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are going to drive over. Leave work about 2:30 and be oin rthe road by 3pm.

Stop and sleep in Ararat. Wake up about 7 and hope to be in Melbourne by 9:30.

Drive back to Ararat and sleep. Leave for Adelaide about 7/8 in the morning and head straight to the Adelaide Oval.

Yep. I'm V/Line-ing it to Melbourne on Friday; with my DSP Concession, it was only $31.40.

Definitely driving. Got Friday off work but reallllllllly want to see the parade which starts at noon on Friday so looking like I'll need to pack and go Thursday after work.

we was hoping to get there in time for the parade,we would have to leave very early, might have to miss it

Plus given the volume going over?
Usually my OCD says I have to be there at a certain time so I cut and adjust stops to make sure I get close or beat the time. Me I have a steel bladder and can keep going, others maybe not so much

giphy-514.gif

traffic.gif

Usually my OCD says I have to be there at a certain time so I cut and adjust stops to make sure I get close or beat the time. Me I have a steel bladder and can keep going, others maybe not so much

giphy-514.gif

traffic.gif

my OCD is the same, i cant be late if im driving, i could drive the whole way with no toilet breaks, in fact i have done before, the misses not so much

Wasn't considering heading over but a mate was keen if we can get tickets. With Richmond in that looks unlikely.
Pity, as I bought a van this year in Melbs, filled it up in Ballan on my way back and didn't put fuel in it for another two weeks, I was keen for a road trip in it coupled with a GF.
The best thing is that it's a Renault and they're no longer a sponsor of Port Power.
Safe driving to everyone heading over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back