Week 1 of Finals Tips and Crowd Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

And only lost by a couple of kicks. That's why you guys should be worried. It won't be the same on a bigger ground in fron of 70000 of their supporters.

The cats have played multiple finals against teams like hawthorn and Collingwood in recent years and in those games the 90k crowds have been 60 or 70k for the other team.

Geelong have experience as being basically an away team at the mcg and it doesn't seem to phase them.

This big richmond crowd that's coming won't phase the cats. I get the sense alot of people think because the crowd will be heavily richmond friday night it will mean a tigers win.

Means nothing against geelong.

About two years before the Bulldogs won the Grand Final, I predicted they'd win it. I also re-tipped they'd win it on the eve of the first week of finals.

About two years before the Tigers win the Grand Final (2017), I predicted they'd win it. I'm also re-tipping they'll win it on the eve of the first week of finals.

I am a veritable seer when it comes to the AFL. Shame it seldom works for me in the NFL :(

Bombers to beat swans by 1 point
Port to beat Eagles by 25 points
Tigers to beat Cats by 5 points
Crows to beat GWS by 40 points

The cats have played multiple finals against teams like hawthorn and Collingwood in recent years and in those games the 90k crowds have been 60 or 70k for the other team.

Geelong have experience as being basically an away team at the mcg and it doesn't seem to phase them.

This big richmond crowd that's coming won't phase the cats. I get the sense alot of people think because the crowd will be heavily richmond friday night it will mean a tigers win.

Looking at the last five years, you have won 2 of 7 at the g, and only in 3 would you have had the smaller attendance

Hawks 87k, won
Swans 72k, lost

Hawks 75k, lost
North 66k, lost

Port 53k, won
Hawks 86k, lost

Freo 44k, lost

Fwiw I don't think this means s**t anyway. You have a battle hardened grand final winning outfit, we don't. There is a reason you are firm favourites, and it has nothing to do with the size of the opposition crowd

The crowd isn't as much of a factor as the venue and the wider ground dimensions for me. Richmond's best footy this year is largely at the MCG IMO so that is why many of us think we can win.

I am not already looking who we'll play in the Prelim though as I understand that Geelong finished second for a reason. I think most of us are in that position as well.

I agree there,just creates more pressure,the media have gone into plan b,pumping Richmond's tyres to overblown,while keeping Geelong protected under the carpet,Richmond has all the pressure as per usual.

Media do it like clockwork ,everytime we make the finals,part of the foible of being a big club.

If we lose,they will put the biggest knife in as well.

The Richmond playing group hopefully use our supporters as an advantage to spur them on and block out the mental side.

Geelong are experienced campaigners,umpires will be in their corner for sure,especially in crucial parts of the game,I expect a dubious fifty metre penalty to creep out of the umpires whistle,Richmond supporters have put up with that crap for decades,just watch the VFL game yesty.

Richmond need to play well enough to not let the umpires be an influence,but yesty Richmond were four goals up and the umpires pulled two fifty metre penalties to Collingwood from their arse which resulted in open goals and gave Collingwood massive belief to win,really dodgy fifties that you never see get paid.

Last edited:
I think the massive crowd could be a hindrance to Richmond as much as a help.

Even with their experience of the big time Geelong will rarely have been in the type of febrile pressure cooker it will be if Richmond are close to getting over the line. It might impact on them but I think more likely might spook Richmond who will feel the nervousness and desire flooding down from the stands.

In recent years both Carlton and North have benefitted from Richmond underperforming at the MCG with the Tiger Army in full voice breathing down their necks. Strange as it sounds instead of being a spur to achievement the presence of the keyed up yellow and black hordes may be a weight on relatively inexperienced Richmond shoulders.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon vs Richmond semi final

That would by huge

It would probably be bigger than the Grand Final, and a much more ferocious crowd. Getting a ticket to that game will be haaaard.

To qualify this statement, Essendon averaged 50,812 people to its home games this year. That's the average. This was second only to the Tigers. So there's some demand there!

Last edited:
Adelaide by 32
Richmond by 14
Essendon by 78
Port by 23

Essendon by 78? I'd be surprised if they kicked that many points! Sydney are a hardened pressure finals team. Essendon play an exciting outside running game which just isn't suited to finals unfortunately. I hope it's competitive, but I am not confident of an Essendon win at all.

Geelong.
Adelaide.
Sydney.
West Coast.

Essendon by 78? I'd be surprised if they kicked that many points! Sydney are a hardened pressure finals team. Essendon play an exciting outside running game which just isn't suited to finals unfortunately. I hope it's competitive, but I am not confident of an Essendon win at all.

Geelong.
Adelaide.
Sydney.
West Coast.
It is at the SCG. There is one simple strategy that opposition sides can deploy there and win comfortably. Win the bounce, get a 40m kick out and your forward marks the ball 20m out in front of goal. Surprisingly enough very few sides have both the quality in the midfield to win a clearance AND a forward capable of winning most contested marks. Essendon with their midfield talents and Daniher up front however are just the side to shatter the Swans' dreams. Run out the full four quarters and they can win this.

It is at the SCG. There is one simple strategy that opposition sides can deploy there and win comfortably. Win the bounce, get a 40m kick out and your forward marks the ball 20m out in front of goal. Surprisingly enough very few sides have both the quality in the midfield to win a clearance AND a forward capable of winning most contested marks. Essendon with their midfield talents and Daniher up front however are just the side to shatter the Swans' dreams. Run out the full four quarters and they can win this.

Yeah run this drill 15 times and hope the Swans defence is drunk.:drunk: Great coaching strategy. Yep that'll do it.
This drill will be lucky to happen twice let alone enough times to hang your hat on to be the one simple strategy as you put it to win comfortably. Try cutting off number 23's arms and legs would be the better strategy to deploy.:rolleyes:

Yeah run this drill 15 times and hope the Swans defence is drunk.:drunk: Great coaching strategy. Yep that'll do it.
This drill will be lucky to happen twice let alone enough times to hang your hat on to be the one simple strategy as you put it to win comfortably. Try cutting off number 23's arms and legs would be the better strategy to deploy.:rolleyes:

Our best tactic is to put Hurley on Franklin and make Franklin chase him as Hurley bombs from 50 out going the other way. Franklin doesn't know how to be a defender...so we can expose that weakness.

Good point, switch it up with the odd torp from the centre circle for get some easy goals too. See, we work together and we could have this game sorted by tomorrow night!

Our best tactic is to put Hurley on Franklin and make Franklin chase him as Hurley bombs from 50 out going the other way. Franklin doesn't know how to be a defender...so we can expose that weakness.

Pazz I don't think Franklin is a good structure defender but he does apply good forward pressure when the ball is in his area so he is not a complete liability in that area.

Has anyone put up a game by game qtr by qtr score ? Thats really the only reason i come here
Come back Thursday

Knowing me, mine will be done then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back