Week 1 of Finals Tips and Crowd Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ve got Richmond winning their first final, which means you’ll have to play the Tigers in the Preliminary Final. What do you want most? West Coast v Brisbane Lions or my Woods against your Eagles for the second year in a row?

I'd rather a WC Brisbane GF, as if we win we claim a new scalp, and since I like Brisbane and losing to them wouldn't be as bad. Usually go for the non Vic side, though the Bulldogs was one exception.

Dogs were playing for a spot in the eight while Giants were all but secured.
Giants will win this one.
I get what you’re saying, but I think the giants have been playing well below themselves for most of the last month and I don’t think you can rely on a side just turning it on in finals. Us last year is the obvious precedent.
Far from a certain thing of course and I wouldn’t give them much more than a 60% chance of winning, but if I had to bet on one travelling team getting up it’d be the bulldogs.

Richmond have never won an away final and Brisbane have never lost at the Gabba.

LOL We have only played 2 interstate finals, that's it. One against the all-conquering lions in the 2001 prelim final and port in 2014 (EF).
Do u mean the current team haven't lost a final at the Gabba? Just being mischevious but that is a useless stat. First finals game at the Gabba in 10 years for this current crop of lions.

Last edited:
Geelong v Collingwood QF almost sold out with only single seats for restricted viewing and standing room available. Will draw 90,000 minimum unless it is raining heavily then the crowds will drop to 85-88,000!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs were playing for a spot in the eight while Giants were all but secured.
Giants will win this one.

Yeah, this is something folks probably aren't grasping. WB have been the form club over the past month, but they have had to taper and peak over this period to win games and make finals. This is different to 2016 where even though they finished 7th then also, they were a top 4 club for most of season and had a finals spot wrapped up weeks before finals.

The top 4 clubs, Geelong, Richmond and Brisbane in particular have been able to get some additional top-up work in readiness for finals. Richmond especially have had a charmed run the last 5 weeks with 7+ day turnarounds and games at the MCG. These clubs can now taper and peak. Bulldogs will need to do same but are extending their taper for longer. This may affect them

LOL We have only played 2 interstate finals, that's it. One against the all-conquering lions in the 2001 prelim final and port in 2014 (EF).
Do u mean the current team haven't lost a final at the Gabba? Just being mischevious but that is a useless stat. First finals game at the Gabba in 10 years for this current crop of lions.
Yes it is a useless stat, I was just pointing it out.

Yeah, this is something folks probably aren't grasping. WB have been the form club over the past month, but they have had to taper and peak over this period to win games and make finals. This is different to 2016 where even though they finished 7th then also, they were a top 4 club for most of season and had a finals spot wrapped up weeks before finals.

The top 4 clubs, Geelong, Richmond and Brisbane in particular have been able to get some additional top-up work in readiness for finals. Richmond especially have had a charmed run the last 5 weeks with 7+ day turnarounds and games at the MCG. These clubs can now taper and peak. Bulldogs will need to do same but are extending their taper for longer. This may affect them

After the break I see no reason why they can't maintain their form. It can't be fatigue, or lack of desire. Should be as ready as anyone.

Week 1:

Eagles by 87 points. A large number of people.
Pies by 37 points. A huge number of people.
Giants by 14 points. A small number of people.
Lions by 26 points. A moderate number of people.

Week 2:

Eagles defeat the Cats by 16 points. A large number of people.
Tigers defeat the Giants by 42 points. A large number of people.

Week 3:

Pies defeat the Tigers by 28 points. A gigantic number of people. The Southern, Olympic and Ponsford stands all fall down.
Lions defeat the Eagles by 8 points. A moderate number of people.

Week 4 - Grand Final at GMHBA Stadium while the MCG is being repaired.

Pies defeat the Lions by 46 points. A moderate number of people. Having been unceremoniously sacked, Chris Scott abducts Gill and drowns him in Corio Bay. He also hobbles a kitten and is committed to a psychiatric facility. Leigh Matthews pretends that he's happy for us but he really isn't. Eddie smiles.

Last edited:
Week 1:

Eagles by 87 points. A large number of people.
Pies by 37 points. A huge number of people.
Giants by 14 points. A small number of people.
Lions by 26 points. A moderate number of people.

Week 2:

Eagles defeat the Cats by 16 points. A large number of people.
Tigers defeat the Giants by 42 points. A large number of people.

Week 3:

Pies defeat the Tigers by 28 points. A gigantic number of people. The Southern, Olympic and Ponsford stands all fall down.
Lions defeat the Eagles by 8 points. A moderate number of people.

Week 4 - Grand Final at GMHBA Stadium while the MCG is being repaired.

Pies defeat the Lions by 46 points. A moderate number of people. Having been unceremoniously sacked, Chris Scott abducts Gill and drowns him in Corio Bay. He also hobbles a kitten and is committed to a psychiatric facility. Leigh Matthews pretends that he's happy for us but he really isn't. Eddie smiles.
That members stand is made of quality stuff

Eagles by 44 points - 59,597 at Optus Stadium

Magpies by 4 points - 94,994 at the MCG

Bulldogs by 4 points - 21,867 at Giants Stadium

Lions by 15 points - 36,625 at the Gabba

Last edited:
West Coast 18.9.117 V Essendon 5.10.40 - 57,000 - Will be tight for a quarter and half before eagles split the game open in a 10 min burst late in second quarter to go in 38 points up. And it just get ugly for dons after that. Woresfold takes his jacket off to reveal WCE Guernsey underneath.

Geelong 13.11.88 V Collingwood 12.17.89 - 91,000 - Pies to jump the cats and lead by 4 goals at HT , Cats claw their way back to hit the front with a goal with 22 seconds on clock. Grundy gets ball out of middle and burst through 2 players handpasses to Pendles who slots one on run from 50 to win in his 300th. CROWD burns down the G

GWS 12.8.80 V 6.21.57 Bulldogs - 28,000 - Pretty boring affair where dogs kick horribly which costs them the game. Cameron difference with 4.1

Brisbane 14.10.94 V Richmond 15.10.100 - 35,000 - Richmond to go in at Half time leading 67 to 20. And then at 3qtr 94 to 56. Before Brisbane put on a onslaught in the last qtr but its not enough as Riewoldt kicks a goal after siren after getting a soft free kick in Goal Square for diving. Fans run onto the field and kick his head in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back