Prediction Week 4 Excuse Thread

What is it this week

• If the game finished after a quarter, we'd be 3-1!

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Media scrutiny got to the boys, so at 0-4 and with Good Friday coming I'll back them in for it

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • You wanted changes, well Hrovat came in for LDU and played well.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I read that its darkest before dawn, so I'll stick with the boys

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • We got beaten 30-8 in centre clearances, but stats can be somewhat misleading

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Just didn't take our chances in front of goal

• I DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT I'M DOING

• We made a late change because I didn't want to hurt Dom/Tarryn's feelings on Thursday night

• What do you want me to say? Just hang in there.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Meow...meoooowwww...meeeeeoowwwwww

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This week he'll appease angry supporters, he'll get one of their scapegoats and literally burn him at the stake.

We all know he's been below his usual high standards so it was only a matter of time until Tex reminded the league how good he can be, and we were just the unfortunate team who happened to be on the end of it.

Look, the umpires don't decide the game, we're professionals in an elite competition and it is always down to the playing group and coaches to win the match, you'll never hear us blaming an umpiring decision for the result. Obviously a few decisions in the last quarter went against us and changed the momentum of the game but in reality we should have built a bigger lead before that. But no, those decisions didn't cost us the game.

You guys can write what you like about the players, I see the work they are putting in and I know that it is only a matter of time until they start to see the results which they deserve.

Did I mention that we were ambushed?

We've got some things we need to work on, got some things we need to fix. We set the game up pretty well and weren't able to follow through, so we'll go through that in fine detail and work it out - there's no point getting all upset and angry about it now. Adelaide outworked us in the second half - the reasons for that, well, we'll have a look at that, but the reality was that they outworked us in the second half. I think we were +80 or something enormous in the uncontested possession, but we were down I think a fair bit in the second half - well up in contested possession in the first half and then down 13, so we just couldn't get across to the contest and we couldn't win it when we did get there.

We went away from doing what we did in the first half that was so successful. That's the question we've got to ask ourselves. We left the door ajar for Adelaide and they ran through it. They really lifted in the second half and we couldn't match their intensity; we let the game slip away. It's not as if we're coming up here playing a side that are sitting on the bottom of the ladder and we expected to just walk over them. We had the game in our control at half time, and we couldn't finish the job. But if we won the game by 20 points, we'd be talking about a lot of the positives that came out of today.

We played some really good footy early, and we weren't able to sustain it long enough. We were against a really good side with just some genuine top-line players who got on top of us in the second half. I thought in the first half, we were just all over them; in the end, our defence held up really well, but the dam well broke a bit there at the end. They converted a few crucial contested marks and crucial shots at goal, and that's the ball game. They responded as we expected them to in terms of how we were playing. We were on top around the contest, but then they slowly got ascendancy back around the contest: that was a really good part of the game for us early, but then we got beaten in that area, and more importantly they put it on the scoreboard. We were right on top early, and then Adelaide responded really well, but they were able to convert a bit better. We just need to put it all together. It's frustrating, because I can see the signs, and the signs are good, but they're not consistent enough and we're not doing it for long enough at the moment.

They made some changes which were good tactical changes in the game, we responded to that, but they lifted their intensity in and around the contest. Sloane, Crouch, etc. - the list is long and distinguished, it's difficult to keep them down all game, and they really turned around the clearance and contested ball area in the second half. Yeah, it's frustrating, it's frustrating for everyone - probably not the least our supporters, but our players are hurting more than anyone, because they're not getting the reward for their effort across most of the game. A couple of games this year, the opposition's really good players have really got going in the last quarter when it really matters. It's a tight competition, and 0-4 means it's a long way back, but it's not insurmountable.

Figured I may as well just copy and paste quotes from previous press conferences, with some "minor tweaks", as it's not like the excuses ever change... here's to hoping we can actually come away with a win this week and don't have to hear them yet again.

Sources are:
- Round 16, 2013 v Brisbane
- Round 9, 2015 v Collingwood
- Round 9, 2011 v Brisbane
- Round 2, 2019 v Brisbane
- Round 15, 2012 v West Coast
- Round 3, 2019 v Hawthorn
- Round 5, 2017 v Fremantle

"Well you have to look at the bigger picture, it's not about me, it's bigger than the players. And if we look at the stats that matter, our carbon footprint was at a competition 2 year low. We couldn't be any more prouder that we are doing our part for the future. We pride ourselves in leading the way and after our on field performance today, we feel we can better this 2 year low next week".

Last edited:
"I'm proud of the boys for winning the second quarter against Adelaide. In the first 3 games we won the first quarter and we expected the opposition to change things up, which happened. But by losing the first quarter on Saturday, we didn't give them the option of changing things up the same way. We may have lost the last two quarters, but I think today was a big step, proving that we are no longer predictable in the way we go about things."

"In the post-match address, I drummed this home and threw a challenge to the team to win the 3rd quarter next week and then the 4th after that. With these incremental improvements we will be developing a style of play that could win us 2 quarters in a game. We think this will add another dimension to the team and keep the opposition coaches on their toes."

You really need to look at key personnel when analysing the game, you know with Marley out it was always going to be hard matching up on a champion like Eddie Betts, I obviously didn’t anticipate him kicking 14 goals but he took his chances and that’s what it came down to, I’m not going to sit here and belittle my players, they are still gelling together and getting their heads around the new rules, it’s a constant work in progress but we will get there

Please add day light saving as an option.

We were well on top at half time and in fairness to the boys last week this game would have been over by then. You may state we stopped I just think we need to work on our body clocks and rest assured we'll be looking at that at training during the week.

We have a couple of night owls that are almost ready but again structure is vital to sustained performance.

"Mcmillan didn't think it was a must win game. so we just went about it in the manner. Im proud of the boys for adapting to the huge(2) number of changes we made to the team this week. We will be better for the hitout and come back next week."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got some things we need to work on, got some things we need to fix. We set the game up pretty well and weren't able to follow through, so we'll go through that in fine detail and work it out - there's no point getting all upset and angry about it now. Adelaide outworked us in the second half - the reasons for that, well, we'll have a look at that, but the reality was that they outworked us in the second half. I think we were +80 or something enormous in the uncontested possession, but we were down I think a fair bit in the second half - well up in contested possession in the first half and then down 13, so we just couldn't get across to the contest and we couldn't win it when we did get there.

We went away from doing what we did in the first half that was so successful. That's the question we've got to ask ourselves. We left the door ajar for Adelaide and they ran through it. They really lifted in the second half and we couldn't match their intensity; we let the game slip away. It's not as if we're coming up here playing a side that are sitting on the bottom of the ladder and we expected to just walk over them. We had the game in our control at half time, and we couldn't finish the job. But if we won the game by 20 points, we'd be talking about a lot of the positives that came out of today.

We played some really good footy early, and we weren't able to sustain it long enough. We were against a really good side with just some genuine top-line players who got on top of us in the second half. I thought in the first half, we were just all over them; in the end, our defence held up really well, but the dam well broke a bit there at the end. They converted a few crucial contested marks and crucial shots at goal, and that's the ball game. They responded as we expected them to in terms of how we were playing. We were on top around the contest, but then they slowly got ascendancy back around the contest: that was a really good part of the game for us early, but then we got beaten in that area, and more importantly they put it on the scoreboard. We were right on top early, and then Adelaide responded really well, but they were able to convert a bit better. We just need to put it all together. It's frustrating, because I can see the signs, and the signs are good, but they're not consistent enough and we're not doing it for long enough at the moment.

They made some changes which were good tactical changes in the game, we responded to that, but they lifted their intensity in and around the contest. Sloane, Crouch, etc. - the list is long and distinguished, it's difficult to keep them down all game, and they really turned around the clearance and contested ball area in the second half. Yeah, it's frustrating, it's frustrating for everyone - probably not the least our supporters, but our players are hurting more than anyone, because they're not getting the reward for their effort across most of the game. A couple of games this year, the opposition's really good players have really got going in the last quarter when it really matters. It's a tight competition, and 0-4 means it's a long way back, but it's not insurmountable.

Figured I may as well just copy and paste quotes from previous press conferences, with some "minor tweaks", as it's not like the excuses ever change... here's to hoping we can actually come away with a win this week and don't have to hear them yet again.

Sources are:
- Round 16, 2013 v Brisbane
- Round 9, 2015 v Collingwood
- Round 9, 2011 v Brisbane
- Round 2, 2019 v Brisbane
- Round 15, 2012 v West Coast
- Round 3, 2019 v Hawthorn
- Round 5, 2017 v Fremantle
1554808440282.png

Reporter: Can you put your finger on why the players seemed sluggish in the first quarter?

Brad: I don't want use this as an excuse but there was an issue in the rooms just before the game. Little Farouk, a kid who came on a boat 4 years ago and is part of our Huddle program had lost his photo of his dog that he was forced to leave behind in Djibouti so the club rallied to find it. As part of the club's charter it's also incumbent on the players to rally as well.

We eventually found it in LMac"s locker who took it as a prank. The fact he helped look for it really threw us but eventually he fessed up when JMac pointed to his locker. That's the type of leadership you can't teach, Its innate.

Time just got away from us and when the officials eventually broke down the door, it hit us that the banging wasn't in the plumbing. But once we found out we were late I thought the boys really responded and we were all ready within 5 minutes. We had blokes running out still putting gear on so don't tell me they're not committed.

So to answer your question, we found the photo.

Reporter: Can you put your finger on why the players seemed sluggish in the first quarter?

Brad: I don't want use this as an excuse but there was an issue in the rooms just before the game. Little Farouk, a kid who came on a boat 4 years ago and is part of our Huddle program had lost his photo of his dog that he was forced to leave behind in Djibouti so the club rallied to find it. As part of the club's charter it's also incumbent on the players to rally as well.

We eventually found it in LMac"s locker who took it as a prank. The fact he helped look for it really threw us but eventually he fessed up when JMac pointed to his locker. That's the type of leadership you can't teach, Its innate.

Time just got away from us and when the officials eventually broke down the door, it hit us that the banging wasn't in the plumbing. But once we found out we were late I thought the boys really responded and we were all ready within 5 minutes. We had blokes running out still putting gear on so don't tell me they're not committed.

So to answer your question, we found the photo.
Love it!

We’re used to being mediocre, and as a result have struggled a little bit to adapt the good facilities and lack of debt. Decent recruiting has also robbed us of an excuse.

But honestly, if we look deeper, the manner in which a group of young amateur women who train in two different states gelled and took apart the women’s comp... how can I fail to find the right mix with a group of full time footballers during a 5 month off season?

I think collectively that all takes a toll.

Reporter: "Are there going to be changes this week Brad?"

Scott:“There is a lot that goes into selection, do you want me to put someone’s head on a platter for you? I’m not going to do that!"

Reporter: "I was actually referring to your position as coach"

Scott: "There's 6 to 8 constantly under-performing players that I have backed in time and time again. They are going to be dropped to the VFL and they are out the door at the end of the year!"

Back