Prediction Week One Finals schedule prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

You suspect Brisbane/Perth is highly likely for the Thursday night. Sydney Showground gets a Saturday arvo/twilight slot and the two likely MCG matches on the Friday & Saturday night.

Thursday night: Brisbane v. West Coast
Friday night: Geelong v. Richmond
Saturday afternoon: GWS v. Bulldogs
Saturday night: Collingwood v. Essendon

If West Coast host a final against anyone but Brisbane, I'd imagine it would be played on Friday night instead, and Geelong would play on the Thursday. Brisbane do not play on Friday nights, from 2002-2005 they were scheduled in exactly 0 Friday night matches during the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the rationale for WC/Brisbane playing on Thursday night? Is that to maximise recovery time for the loser?

To give some modicum of fairness to Geelong, if they finish top of the ladder as looks likely, Richmond vs Geelong should be on the Saturday night instead of the Friday night. Won't happen, but would be nice. If Collingwood play Essendon on the Friday night, they'd get much the same crowd anyway. My ideal finals match ups are:

Thursday Night:
Brisbane vs West Coast

Friday Night:
Essendon vs Collingwood

Saturday Afternoon:
GWS vs Bulldogs

Saturday Night:
Richmond vs Geelong

As I said though, very unlikely that it happens.

Eagles v Cats
Lions v Tigers
Giants v Bombers
Magpies v Power (the power will ask to wear their traditional b&w stripes, and the AFL will allow it)

Alir Alir won't be playing finals, but let's not forget his 2019 fan survey:
What is your favourite band: duran duran
What is your favourite food: cous cous
What is your favourite holiday destination: bora bora
What is your favourite film: jamon jamon
What is your favourite dog: chow chow
What is your favourite colour: blue

dog9067146_orig.jpg

Thursday night:
Brisbane v West Coast 7.20pm Gabba

Friday night:
Collingwood v Essendon 7.50pm MCG

Saturday afternoon:
Geelong v Richmond 3:20pm MCG

Saturday night:
GWS v Bulldogs 7.20pm Giants Stadium

To give some modicum of fairness to Geelong, if they finish top of the ladder as looks likely, Richmond vs Geelong should be on the Saturday night instead of the Friday night. Won't happen, but would be nice. If Collingwood play Essendon on the Friday night, they'd get much the same crowd anyway. My ideal finals match ups are:

Thursday Night:
Brisbane vs West Coast

Friday Night:
Essendon vs Collingwood

Saturday Afternoon:
GWS vs Bulldogs

Saturday Night:
Richmond vs Geelong

As I said though, very unlikely that it happens.

Wouldn’t the ‘fairest’ Week #1 fixture allow the loser of 1 v 4 have a longer break into the semi final than the winner of 5 v 8??

The the fairest way to ensure ladder position is valued is playing the two Qualifying finals first— regardless of what teams they are.

Wouldn’t the ‘fairest’ Week #1 fixture allow the loser of 1 v 4 have a longer break into the semi final than the winner of 5 v 8??

The the fairest way to ensure ladder position is valued is playing the two Qualifying finals first— regardless of what teams they are.

Isn't that what he's done? BL - 1 vs 4 - WCE

Is Finals about fairness or maximising attendance?

Fairness: Geelong gets a home final (KP)
Maximising Attendance: Geelong gets a saturday arvo final at the G

Can't pick and choose mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back