Prediction Week One Finals schedule prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of people in Melbourne live over an hr from the city, lots of hawks and saints fans live in an hr from the city down peninsula way which is just as far as Geelong. Cry me a river, you get the bonus of living near the beach and lower property prices, if you want to go to finals twice a year you drive a bit further.
Not sure if Geelong was always such a whiney club, or if it’s just due to having such a whinging coach that has filtered down to the rank and file?
No wonder you have such a poor finals record under Scott, his woe is me attitude obviously filters down to the players.

Yeah except St Kilda and Hawthorn aren't an hour away from the city. Nor are they a separate city that comprises mainly of those fans. Could you imagine all of Richmond having to drive down to Geelong at the same time. It's gridlock and it takes over 2 hours.

Talk about whingers lol, you lot kicked up a stink about playing at GMHBA, after having the same fanbase and playing there for years when you were mediocre. Only became a problem when you started having success. Now you apparently can't go there anymore. Works both ways.

This is not to mention that this issue has reared its ugly head since trains have stopped going directly to Richmond from Geelong, due to VLine upgrades. All supporters have to change at Southern Cross. This has been happening since 2016, but only really became an issue in 2017, due to mass unreliability/cancelled trains, given all the trackwork.

It really is only Richmond supporters that are absolute tools when it comes to any discussion regarding Geelong. 37 years of mediocrity and suddenly you're an authority on everything. I think you seem to forget just how bad your own finals record was, before 2017. You had one good finals series, and then won 1 final in 2018. Give it a rest.

Last edited:
Lions will get up - you can bet your bottom dollar that Fagan and Hodge will work out how to roll them this week up at the Gabba.

On a Friday night, when half of Geelong is driving down...with constant roadwork.

Kindly shut the f*ck up because you don't know what you're talking about.
What about west coast and a 610 start on a thursday? If they can manage that, surely getting to G by 750 is more doable?

What about west coast and a 610 start on a thursday? If they can manage that, surely getting to G by 750 is more doable?

A 9 minute drive from the city to the stadium (4.4km), where most will just take transport after work, or an 80km drive (160km return trip) along a congested highway from another city. I'm sure some will make it on time, but the comparison is not the same. Would be the same as if Richmond or Collingwood supporters had to travel after work. Annoying, but not far to go.

The fixture is a joke anyway. Your time slot should've been 6:30-6:40 at least, with it being televised at 8:30-8:40, which is not unreasonable for viewers to watch (finish time at around 11).

A 9 minute drive from the city to the stadium (4.4km), where most will just take transport after work, or an 80km drive (160km return trip) along a congested highway from another city. I'm sure some will make it on time, but the comparison is not the same. Would be the same as if Richmond or Collingwood supporters had to travel after work. Annoying, but not far to go.

The fixture is a joke anyway. Your time slot should've been 6:30-6:40 at least, with it being televised at 8:30-8:40, which is not unreasonable for viewers to watch (finish time at around 11).
Whilst I sympathise with fans having to travel long distances, if you finish work at 5.30 then you have 2hrs 20mins to get to the ground. Even if it take 1.5 hours to drive and you have to faff about for 15mins after work and then line up for 20 mins to get in the ground, you'll still have 15 min to spare.

There's no parking at Optus stadium nor anywhere near it. Sure, if you work in the city its easy enough to get to the ground. But if you work south of the river or in Joondalup, it's a fair hike. If you don't take public transport directly to the ground (go to East Perth or by bus) , then you have a 10-15min walk across the river to get there and then have to line up and get in. Cutting it fine.

Whilst I sympathise with fans having to travel long distances, if you finish work at 5.30 then you have 2hrs 20mins to get to the ground. Even if it take 1.5 hours to drive and you have to faff about for 15mins after work and then line up for 20 mins to get in the ground, you'll still have 15 min to spare.

There's no parking at Optus stadium nor anywhere near it. Sure, if you work in the city its easy enough to get to the ground. But if you work south of the river or in Joondalup, it's a fair hike. If you don't take public transport directly to the ground (go to East Perth or by bus) , then you have a 10-15min walk across the river to get there and then have to line up and get in. Cutting it fine.

Yeah that's a fair point. Like I said, the AFL has completely screwed this fixture. As they were always going to. There is nothing wrong with having Sunday games, if it accommodates more fans...as they purportedly care about so much.

My early prediction
Eagles by 24 points
Cats by 18 points
Bulldogs by 20 points
Tigers by 7 points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"from another city"....It's an outer suburb, and the trip is no more difficult to traverse than the trip from Frankston, Dandenong or Lilydale.

"from another city"....It's an outer suburb, and the trip is no more difficult to traverse than the trip from Frankston, Dandenong or Lilydale.

Odd then that it's on a country train line. Even more odd that it's not part of the Metro network. Must have missed all of those signs that say 'Welcome to the City of Geelong', as well. We have our own mayor too, which is odd for an 'outer suburb.' Also, it's the same distance as Ballarat, or is that an 'outer suburb' of Melbourne too?

Trying really hard not to be rude, but some of these arguments are completely baseless. Just clutching at straws now due to your own biases.

EDIT: If you're not convinced, here is a photo from wikipedia that literally refers to Geelong as a city in the first sentence, and is labelled as a 'city.'

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 6.09.53 pm.png

Yeah except St Kilda and Hawthorn aren't an hour away from the city. Nor are they a separate city that comprises mainly of those fans. Could you imagine all of Richmond having to drive down to Geelong at the same time. It's gridlock and it takes over 2 hours.

Talk about whingers lol, you lot kicked up a stink about playing at GMHBA, after having the same fanbase and playing there for years when you were mediocre. Only became a problem when you started having success. Now you apparently can't go there anymore. Works both ways.

This is not to mention that this issue has reared its ugly head since trains have stopped going directly to Richmond from Geelong, due to VLine upgrades. All supporters have to change at Southern Cross. This has been happening since 2016, but only really became an issue in 2017, due to mass unreliability/cancelled trains, given all the trackwork.

It really is only Richmond supporters that are absolute tools when it comes to any discussion regarding Geelong. 37 years of mediocrity and suddenly you're an authority on everything. I think you seem to forget just how bad your own finals record was, before 2017. You had one good finals series, and then won 1 final in 2018. Give it a rest.

This!! No club is a bigger bandwagon club than the tigers...I'd be lookingat Hardwick and riewoldt as 2 of the biggest
whingers in the comp!

Odd then that it's on a country train line. Even more odd that it's not part of the Metro network. Must have missed all of those signs that say 'Welcome to the City of Geelong', as well. We have our own mayor too, which is odd for an 'outer suburb.' Also, it's the same distance as Ballarat, or is that an 'outer suburb' of Melbourne too?

Trying really hard not to be rude, but some of these arguments are completely baseless. Just clutching at straws now due to your own biases.

EDIT: If you're not convinced, here is a photo from wikipedia that literally refers to Geelong as a city in the first sentence, and is labelled as a 'city.'

View attachment 734501

Surely all afl, let alone geelong supporters understand by now that geography and Richmond supporters simply don't mix!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL has completely overlooked the fact that the public transport network cant be prioritized for the footy as they need to service peak hour traffic. This means there won't be extra services on for footy special buses and trains etc, making it a nightmare for people that are on the metro fringes. Mandurah is about 60kms from the stadium, so it will be a fair mission for those fans. No parking at or near the stadium either. Thursday is just a really bad fixture.

The AFL has completely overlooked the fact that the public transport network cant be prioritized for the footy as they need to service peak hour traffic. This means there won't be extra services on for footy special buses and trains etc, making it a nightmare for people that are on the metro fringes. Mandurah is about 60kms from the stadium, so it will be a fair mission for those fans. No parking at or near the stadium either. Thursday is just a really bad fixture.
Schedule has been optimised for Collingwood and Essendon. No surprise.

Dandenong is part of the 'City of Greater Dandenong'
Frankston is part of the 'City of Frankston'
Lilydale is part of the 'City of Yarra Ranges'

They all have their own mayors, etc etc etc.

I'd be looking at Hardwick and riewoldt as 2 of the biggest
whingers in the comp!
This guy totally has them covered in the whinging stakes.
Image result for chris scott complainming at umpires

So Dandenong and Frankston are cities within their own right and have their own afl teams?

Attachments

• geography-for-dummies_5b9aa0b8b7d7bcf315bf7689.jpg
    geography-for-dummies_5b9aa0b8b7d7bcf315bf7689.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 61
Yeah that's a fair point. Like I said, the AFL has completely screwed this fixture. As they were always going to. There is nothing wrong with having Sunday games, if it accommodates more fans...as they purportedly care about so much.

Don’t need Sunday
Times eastern
Thu 7:50 - BL vs RIC
Fri 7:50 - GWS vs WB
Sat 1:20 - GEE vs COL
Sat 4:20 - WCE vs ESS

2nd week - #2 seed group SF Friday night - #1 seed group SF Saturday day

Obviously, the AFL want the arguably bigger TV draw of the GEE, COL, ESS, WCE group in weeknight primetime in both weeks

Got to hand it to the AFL - takes a special level of incompetence to screw up something as basic as not giving the teams who finished 8th and 5th the biggest advantage with scheduling. This is after already forcing 1st to play 4th on 4th's home ground. That 8th is a chance to earn an extra day's break when it plays 1st while playing at a neutral venue is downright ridiculous and shows what a clowncar the league is.

The top 8 system as it stands has been broken with the introduction of the week off and the systemic issues are exacerbated by ridiculous decision-making. Depending on the circumstances, there's often too little advantage in finishing 1st and too little disadvantage finishing as low as 8th in an 18-team competition. It completely devalues the home and away season.

It's great if you're Collingwood. We get to finish 4th and have the chance to play on our homeground for all 3 finals, potentially against 3 teams playing outside theirs. The Cats will probably beat us and make this a non-issue, but it's still ridiculous the position they could find themselves in after finishing 1st.

I can't believe I'm having to explain this, but I don't think you understand the difference between a local area of government, and a 'city.'

For example: Moonee Valley is comprised of Essendon, Moonee Ponds, Strathmore, Niddrie, Airport West, East Keilor, Airport West etc. Generally a local area of government (council), is designated by an area radius calculated by state and federal governments. It will always comprise of more than one suburb, and none of those suburbs are a city in their own right.

Here is a definition from Cambridge dictionary:

"What defines a city?

The Cambridge English Dictionary defines 'city' as 'a large town' or 'any town in the UK which has a cathedral'. This is the common meaning of the word throughout the world, and in most countries the size of a town is the deciding factor over whether it has city status. Large towns are automatically considered cities."

Note the above says 'a' large town and uses singular wording, rather than plural. This is why Ballarat, Bendigo, Horsham, Geelong etc. are cities, not local councils or 'city of' areas, such as City of Frankston, or City of Moonee Valley.

If you wanted any more proof, here is a screenshot from wiki that lists all cities in Victoria:

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 9.59.04 pm.png

Please don't make me have to respond again, as this is getting pretty ridiculous. I shouldn't be teaching basic geography to a grown adult on a footy forum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back