WEG Posters Collection

Remove this Banner Ad

c6jvXGH.jpg

Have you added the WEG posters from 2013, 2014 and 2015 to the collection. I have those on my wall. I also got from the Hawthorn Football Club when they were moving out of Glenferrie Oval a 1989 WEG Premiership poster mounted on metal and a 1976 WEG Premiership Poster framed.

yEjEfYL.jpg

As for the 2016 WEG Premiership Poster, it looks like the last Bulldog poster in the above collection, with 2016 on the bone and Premiers underneath.

• 12 orginal WEG posters including a 1944 version featuring the Fitzroy gorilla, as well as an Alastair Lynch 2001 premiership poster, and Kevin Murray and Bernie Quinlan Fitzroy night premiership posters, as well as the three Brisbane Lions premiership posters

Does anyone anyone know any cheap framers that would be willing to frame all of these? Located in the Geelong area.

• 12 orginal WEG posters including a 1944 version featuring the Fitzroy gorilla, as well as an Alastair Lynch 2001 premiership poster, and Kevin Murray and Bernie Quinlan Fitzroy night premiership posters, as well as the three Brisbane Lions premiership posters

Does anyone anyone know any cheap framers that would be willing to frame all of these? Located in the Geelong area.

Nice collection!

If you're still looking for a framer, try Kardinia Picture Framing. On Moorabool st, kinda opposite Simonds Stadium right near the railway bridge. I got them to frame up my 97 and 98 posters (together in one frame) and my Mark Ricciuto Brownlow Medal poster. They came up really well. They do a lot of footy/sports gear so they know how to do it well.

Many framers will paste the posters to a backing board for a better finish, but I specifically asked them not to do so. Despite this they still came up a treat. I did get mine done probably about 8 years ago so I'm not sure how much they charge, but I seem to recall it being pretty reasonable. Can't hurt to ask, anyway.

It's not from the GF straight after the game
It's a limited edition one
Originals don't have the caricature of WEG or the circle in the P of Premiers

Hi I was wondering if this also applies for the pre 1954 posters which WEG did (I think in the 90's) as I have been shopping around and have only found ones with the Limited Edition Circle in the P and his caricature?

Hi I was wondering if this also applies for the pre 1954 posters which WEG did (I think in the 90's) as I have been shopping around and have only found ones with the Limited Edition Circle in the P and his caricature?
The first year WEG did his posters was in 1954
The earlier ones were done retrospectively in the late 90's
As Hawthorn didn't win their first flag until 1961 I've never really bothered to look for the retro ones, so I'm not 100% sure, but I'm sure they were a limited edition.
Check out "Wegs World" website to be sure

The first year WEG did his posters was in 1954
The earlier ones were done retrospectively in the late 90's
As Hawthorn didn't win their first flag until 1961 I've never really bothered to look for the retro ones, so I'm not 100% sure, but I'm sure they were a limited edition.
Check out "Wegs World" website to be sure

oV8RrEQ.jpg

Here are two WEG posters for 1920. Richmond won the premiership that year. These were drawn closer to today then that was. The one on the left is the limited edition one, one of 1000, which were produced for the Herald Sun.

The one on the right was ones done by WEG for the supporters. These were not limited in number, but weren't as available as the Herald Sun posters were.

The best place to go for information or the posters themselves is to the WEG Art store itself. It is at 198 Bayswater Road Bayswater North Victoria.

oV8RrEQ.jpg

Here are two WEG posters for 1920. Richmond won the premiership that year. These were drawn closer to today then that was. The one on the left is the limited edition one, one of 1000, which were produced for the Herald Sun.

The one on the right was ones done by WEG for the supporters. These were not limited in number, but weren't as available as the Herald Sun posters were.

The best place to go for information or the posters themselves is to the WEG Art store itself. It is at 198 Bayswater Road Bayswater North Victoria.
Cheers
The poster with the player on it was done as the limited edition one, you're right
Never liked them tbh
You can get them for the years after 1954 also ( 1971 has Peter Hudson, 1991 is Michael Tuck etc)

Yeah it was changed after it was initially revealed. Copped a bit of backlash over the lipstick at the end of the beak for A) being a tad over-the-top stereotypical "look its a woman!" and B) not being physically correct anyway, as it was top and bottom lips on only the top section of the beak. The second one looks much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found these on the Mossgreen auctions website. "Preliminary artwork" for what would have been the Crows and Dockers Premiership posters had they won in 2006.

Starting price of $200 if anyone is interested.
http://www.mossgreen.com.au/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/364/?page=2&sale=undefined&cat=94,71&catm=any&order=order_num&xclosed=no&featured=no
321460_0.jpg

321464_0.jpg
Nice.

I also found these from having a look around on google (website they were linked to source)

Brisbane Lions 1999 concept (lost prelim to North):

c567c034c7dd897fef7d870a4bd9d13a-tn.jpg

Brisbane 2004 concept:

c5695d86dbf29a373d3f6903e81812bc-tn.jpg

Was outside the MCG on Thursday when those posters were released. Have also seen the WEG posters for this year as well at the Croydon store. Knight could of made something with the clash jumper to be worn by Richmond today in the Grand Final. The tiger could have been wearing the clash jumper but rip it off Hulk Hogan style to reveal the normal black and yellow underneath. Little extras on the posters like this tell the story of the Grand Final.

Sorry for an old bump, but I was looking to get some prints of 1963 and earlier Geelong premiership posters. Came across 2 variants being sold and I was curious if they are both considered WEGs or if they were just imitations in his style. Is the set with the Herald Sun masthead considered more "official" than others? Or is it just a matter of taste?

First there are the ones over on Phantom Sports website which to my understanding, were variants commissioned in the mid 90s?
Geelong-Wegs-2.jpg

However over on eBay, these variants are also being sold. No info of when they were created or commissioned except for the 1963 version which I think was done for a special anniversary in 2001.
s-l1600.jpg

Sorry for an old bump, but I was looking to get some prints of 1963 and earlier Geelong premiership posters. Came across 2 variants being sold and I was curious if they are both considered WEGs or if they were just imitations in his style. Is the set with the Herald Sun masthead considered more "official" than others? Or is it just a matter of taste?

First there are the ones over on Phantom Sports website which to my understanding, were variants commissioned in the mid 90s?
Geelong-Wegs-2.jpg

However over on eBay, these variants are also being sold. No info of when they were created or commissioned except for the 1963 version which I think was done for a special anniversary in 2001.
s-l1600.jpg
Weg started making the posters in 1954, and his last one was in 2008
A few years before he passed he went and made posters for collectors from the first grand final in 1897 and onwards
If I’m not mistaken the posters with the Herald Sun banner on top are the ones he did

I found this in relation to Wegs history :

His famous posters were originally created to advertise The Herald at newsagents, but grew into a phenomenon, selling more than 100,000 each September. WEG's grand final series began in 1954, but the Heathmont artist went on to produce posters for every grand final dating back to 1897 to satisfy collectors.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back