Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It sucks but it's hardly the end of the world.

Richmond won the flag last year with Lynch, Riewoldt played like s**t till finals.

Talls hardly ever win matches these days anyway, still need our mids to kick better and smalls to mop up better that's all.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just lost his Grandfather unfortunatnly
Ripping bloke, was Murray.

Had the chance to run into him at queen's birthday game, from memory it was 2018 when Sam had probably played about 15-20 games over the past 18 months, but was out injured on this particular day. I was at an AFL membership function and he was there too.

From memory, we talked for about 15- 20 minutes and it started off talking about the dees v pies rivalry back in his day, how footy had changed over time with the contest, and how different it was now (remember him saying that he "wouldn't have played 20 games with all these bloody cameras following you around")

Unfortunately his biggest point was for Sam toward the latter part of our conversation. I mentioned how I saw Sam the week prior and he was looking fairly big and strong, starting to fill out. I won't forget how he said it.

"That boy has more talent in his hands than I had in my whole body, but he's bloody soft I tell ya. Soft. They need to take him out boxing and toughen him up a bit. But if he gets a bit bloody angry, look out"

I think I've always been a Sam fan purely from this convo, and not forgetting later that year he had a few terrific games when he was called upon.

If we are allowed back at games this year, and who knows what the future holds, but if you see any of these older legends of our Game, go say g'day and ask them how they are. Unless you come across as a Yobo yahooing, they'll more often than not have a yarn with you.

Hopefully Sam can get back on deck and make him proud this year!

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Had the chance to run into him at queen's birthday game, from memory it was 2018 when Sam had probably played about 15-20 games over the past 18 months, but was out injured on this particular day. I was at an AFL membership function and he was there too.

From memory, we talked for about 15- 20 minutes and it started off talking about the dees v pies rivalry back in his day, how footy had changed over time with the contest, and how different it was now (remember him saying that he "wouldn't have played 20 games with all these bloody cameras following you around")

Unfortunately his biggest point was for Sam toward the latter part of our conversation. I mentioned how I saw Sam the week prior and he was looking fairly big and strong, starting to fill out. I won't forget how he said it.

"That boy has more talent in his hands than I had in my whole body, but he's bloody soft I tell ya. Soft. They need to take him out boxing and toughen him up a bit. But if he gets a bit bloody angry, look out"

I think I've always been a Sam fan purely from this convo, and not forgetting later that year he had a few terrific games when he was called upon.

If we are allowed back at games this year, and who knows what the future holds, but if you see any of these older legends of our Game, go say g'day and ask them how they are. Unless you come across as a Yobo yahooing, they'll more often than not have a yarn with you.

He's not at all wrong here either.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

I use to run into Bruce mcmaster - smith occasionally when I would go to footy. He played around the same time period, had some great stories. He was also a boxer, he wasn't tall only 169cm but the way he described himself he would have been a campaigner ie kicking people in the shins are true pest. Obviously these days you can't get away with much but you still need to have a bit of campaigner in the team to be successful. That's how Murray got his side up in 1958, I think Melbourne had thrashed Collingwood in the finals just weeks earlier, so Collingwood played dirty and it put Melbourne off it's game. It's the same 50 years later with Hawthorn probably no where near Geelong (no one was) but they were dubbed the unsociable hawks and won the premiership. We need few more campaigners particularly forward, how good was our forward line 20 years ago with neitz, shwarz and farmer all campaigners in the forward line.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I use to run into Bruce mcmaster - smith occasionally when I would go to footy. He played around the same time period, had some great stories. He was also a boxer, he wasn't tall only 169cm but the way he described himself he would have been a campaigner ie kicking people in the shins are true pest. Obviously these days you can't get away with much but you still need to have a bit of campaigner in the team to be successful. That's how Murray got his side up in 1958, I think Melbourne had thrashed Collingwood in the finals just weeks earlier, so Collingwood played dirty and it put Melbourne off it's game. It's the same 50 years later with Hawthorn probably no where near Geelong (no one was) but they were dubbed the unsociable hawks and won the premiership. We need few more campaigners particularly forward, how good was our forward line 20 years ago with neitz, shwarz and farmer all campaigners in the forward line.

Yup.
I've always said our side needs to just step over what's acceptable rather than apologising for it.
2017-18 we were a campaigner of a side a little. But that's completely gone again. All changed cause of Bugg when it shouldn't have

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yup.
I've always said our side needs to just step over what's acceptable rather than apologising for it.
2017-18 we were a campaigner of a side a little. But that's completely gone again. All changed cause of Bugg when it shouldn't have

I think it changed due to Goodwin tbh, can't be anything but a directive to the players from the coaches not to risk anything. Absolutely agree we played our best footy on the edge.

Loved our 2017 aggression but Bugg socking Mills just made us look like idiots. If he hadn’t done that but we’d continued playing on the edge (like we did against the Dogs a few weeks prior) things could have been different.

Then again Gaff clocked Andy Brayshaw and the Eagles won a flag so who knows

Back