Strength Weight/Athletic Training: AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm like that too don't worry so i'm anal as when designing programs...i can take a week to make up my own because of it!

what i used to do before i smashed my camera was video the sprint, put that on youtube, then revideo the youtube video with a phone timer next to it (they have 100th of a sec on the iphone timers like 1.05.12mins etc) but in the same video...then i'd upload again to youtube and you can pause the video where your first movement occurs, take the time down then pause again once you cross the finish line again taking the time down and getting your set time

sounds like a long process but it's not and is "pretty" accurate

here's 1:

another way is if you have distances measured out like a sprint track then test over a specific distance and count eh amount of steps you take to do the distance..."usually" this will result in greater force production and the use of less steps to cover the same distance but not always

Skip to the 2;45 min mark to see Kouta and Tony Doherty go through some footy specific exercises.

Still watch the first 2;45 of the clip, its workout watching you may recognize the voice of Harps from SEN who is on evenings with Finey.

i'm not going to doherty's to get performance enhancing training...and this backs it up

I didn't think you'd like it, but just putting it out there.

An a separate note, i've been playing footy since i was 5 and have been lifting weights on and off since i was 16, but more seriously and consistently now for the last 2 years. I read a lot and try to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible.

I have definitely weight training for footy and body building style training are completely different.

Last edited:
i'm not going to doherty's to get performance enhancing training...and this backs it up

Any particular exercise you didn't like?

The second last exercise was pretty stupid, and I'd always do RDL's over stiff legged deadlifts with athletes.

I don't mind incorporating bench throws sometimes, although I'd never just do it on a free bench like that as it's way too dangerous.

1 - you don't tell any footballer to do bench presses - it's a given...throwing i great, i do it, but those little throws are not the same at all then throwing as hard as you can..throwing trains high velocity otherwise just bench the thing like you normally would

2 - flyes...might scrape in the top 100 exercises for football...maybe

3 - upright row / power shrug thing (i watched with the sound down)...if it's upright row then i don't use that exercise as it enters the shoulder impingement range of motion...90% of footballers have terrible shoulder range of motion anyway so i;d go for a lot of different options then this for shoulders...if power shrug variation then simply a terrible demo by kouta

4 - stiff legged deadlift...it's not 1983, we all know how deadlifts are meant to be done now

1 - you don't tell any footballer to do bench presses - it's a given...throwing i great, i do it, but those little throws are not the same at all then throwing as hard as you can..throwing trains high velocity otherwise just bench the thing like you normally would

2 - flyes...might scrape in the top 100 exercises for football...maybe

3 - upright row / power shrug thing (i watched with the sound down)...if it's upright row then i don't use that exercise as it enters the shoulder impingement range of motion...90% of footballers have terrible shoulder range of motion anyway so i;d go for a lot of different options then this for shoulders...if power shrug variation then simply a terrible demo by kouta

4 - stiff legged deadlift...it's not 1983, we all know how deadlifts are meant to be done now

On point 1 - Alot of AFL players still bench press? And yeah bench throws need to be done at 100% velocity or you're wasting your time, and doing it on a free bench like that players are going to be reluctant to do it.

Agree on point 2, I dont think you'd find any players anywhere doing flys.

3) Yeah it was supposed to be a high pull, while I think a clean pull is better, it's just a different teaching progression you could do with someone if they dont know how to olympic lift

4) Agree, players will deadlift and do RDL variations, not stiff legged.

Looks like Collingwoods weights coach got the sack! I wonder if the rest of these American styled S&C's around the state will realise they've got it wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very simplistic view, a player like Higgins is never over his injuries! Waite mentions in his presser that norths fitness department was a factor.

And North would be confident to offer them longer contracts based on their success with injury prone players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back