Strength Weight/Athletic Training: AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

out of curiosity, does anybody know what weights routines the AFL players do?

i always figured they'd do fullbody routines changing between high and low reps, working on mostly leg and core strength.

a mate of mine went to the same gym as ben cousins for a while and he said he did a bodypart split routine with higher reps followed by cardio which surprised me.

Collingwood train Westside with Marty Girvan
Almost exclusively box squat

North may(?) train similar as Daniel DePasqua (sp?) has consulted with them in the past

Dean Robinson seems to favour basic full body 3 x week. Squats, bench, hang power cleans, overhead press, pull ups. Typical 3 sets of 8-10 going off anecdotal and video evidence

Collingwood train Westside with Marty Girvan
Almost exclusively box squat

North may(?) train similar as Daniel DePasqua (sp?) has consulted with them in the past

Dean Robinson seems to favour basic full body 3 x week. Squats, bench, hang power cleans, overhead press, pull ups. Typical 3 sets of 8-10 going off anecdotal and video evidence

nice! i've seen a few pictures of beams and pendles doing squats in what appears to be one of those gyms that has chains and hardcore equipment i guess you could call it. is westside as in westside for skinny bastards?

good info thanks

No just straight up Louie Simmons Westside (well, that's what the powerlifters do, I'm sure Marty has adapted it to suit AFL)

Elite Sports Performance is the name of the gym

Fairly impressive cliental - Magpies, Melb Storm, one of the soccer teams, one of the netball teams, Richmonds Post trained there leading up to being drafted, the Malasian Track Cycling team, Shaun Bostock (350kg bench press), Dave Park (415kg squat)

No just straight up Louie Simmons Westside (well, that's what the powerlifters do, I'm sure Marty has adapted it to suit AFL)

Elite Sports Performance is the name of the gym

Fairly impressive cliental - Magpies, Melb Storm, one of the soccer teams, one of the netball teams, Richmonds Post trained there leading up to being drafted, the Malasian Track Cycling team, Shaun Bostock (350kg bench press), Dave Park (415kg squat)

pretty impressive.
i saw a video of the bombers players training in gold coast too.

know anything about the swans? for a while they had a trainer from the club uploading videos of himself lifting and and instructional videos on how to use indian clubs

Nah no idea about other clubs sorry.

I mainly get info in dribs and drabs at powerlifting meets etc

Have it on good authority Sav Rocca deadlifted 265-275 as a 17/18 y/old training for shot put (before concentrating on football obviously)
There's a couple of Pies players that pull over 200. I know Goldsack is one, unsure of the other (think it was Pendles but not 100%). Swanny benches 3 plates.

Michael Hibberd squatted 135kg at the Dolphins, unsure of Baguely's numbers even though I trained with him a couple of times at the club gym lol

cptkirk

Hey mate i was wondering where that thread was that you made to improve strength quicker then ever or something along those lines. From memory Ricky90 had been involved in discussion with it something to do with 94% of your one rep max or something? to failure.

Today i benched 125 one rep max it was my 5th one rep max on the bench for the day. I also weighed in at 67.9 im looking to try and get to that 135 where id be pretty much 2x times my body weight for a bench. Im sure ill get there with the increased training im gonna do now and the sets and reps more matcehd to improve power and one rep max's. I use to do 10-12 reps and try and fatigue with lots of supersets and even a few drop sets.

Now im gonna aim for heavier but 6 reps. Also lately ive been on and off with gym due to a few things been going on avg 3-4 times in the past 6-8 weeks so im sure 5-6 could improve me much more with the right training.

Im hopeing to try and enter an event where id probably win the bench press champs (im not sure if there is one coming up) but there was last year.

Also i could add carbs and taper correctly for competition which would even improve me. Like yday was my bench press/chest day so i may have also been a little fatigued.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...-bigger-and-stronger-planned-overload.895720/

i've never done it though and a the faster the gains the quicker they are lost too

if there is a comp then 6 reps is too high as you probably only need to do 1

Yeh okay im essentially 8 weeks out from comp.

I use to do 10-12 and even some around 15 for different exercises so i dont really want to drop it that quick plus i got my body use to supersets aswell.

So gonna drop it to 6 for probably 2 weeks, then drop to 4 for 2 more weeks and test and see how im going.

Im at a pretty good spot as it is so i dont want to lose any strength by not doing enough reps and sets (i only do 3 sets) and even doing 3 x 6 yday i felt i wasnt working that hard. Or will that be fine.

Gonna mix up doing dumbbells and bench itself with the training. Would dumbbells be a good thing to include or just stick to bench?

strength is maintained via intensity (load) not volume and when training strength it shouldn't feel hard anyway and if it does you're not doing it right

if it's a db bench press then use them if not....

if 8 weeks out then find what your weakness is and give that a 2 x 3 week cycles to improve that and thus improve your bench

Nah no idea about other clubs sorry.

I mainly get info in dribs and drabs at powerlifting meets etc

Have it on good authority Sav Rocca deadlifted 265-275 as a 17/18 y/old training for shot put (before concentrating on football obviously)
There's a couple of Pies players that pull over 200. I know Goldsack is one, unsure of the other (think it was Pendles but not 100%). Swanny benches 3 plates.

Michael Hibberd squatted 135kg at the Dolphins, unsure of Baguely's numbers even though I trained with him a couple of times at the club gym lol

For a minute I read that Goldsack could deadlift over 300kg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today i benched 100x6, 110x4, 110x3

Didnt feel like i had much energy today and in the morning usually my lifts are a little bit later and i didnt get much food in before hand just some beef jerky, diet coke and some quick chocolate timtams to try and increase that insulin. Was gonna take a PWO and probably shouldve. Still not bad lifts, today with clothes in without shoes weighed in at 67.3 whilst doing these lifts.

140kg 1RM is my ultimate goal atm.

You're a junior up until 23 with IPF. Pretty sure you'd be up there in the 66kg class if you can pause a 125kg bench, that's only 7kg from double bodyweight. I'm stuck on 160kg at 100kg, want to get 170kg by June.

Yeh that pause might be something that hurts me. Cool i dont think this one will be a record type event from what ive read but there are others. 125 would get me the junior state record in WA from what i know if im at my current weight.

it' s a different ballgame in comps with depth and pauses in the mix...if you're not training with pauses now then you better start

and also if you hit a pr then deload which is why you're lifts were no good this week

and read up on the difference btw comp and training maxes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back