Weight loss

Remove this Banner Ad

As others have said its about discipline. In general eat healthier and exercise more. You don't have to run marathons or eat just lettuce but its about eating healthier than what you are currently and moving more than you currently are.

If you have a bad day eating wise, then make sure the next 2-3 days are extra healthy.

The problem is most people 'want' to lose weight, but most people don't want to sacrifice anything to get there. It may mean you don't have fish n chips every Friday but now once a month, stop eating dessert every night. It may mean you don't watch family feud and go for a walk instead, don't drive to the local shop, walk there etc.

That's exactly right, we did hardly any exercise last week due to the missus being unwell, but we kept up our healthy eating and we both still managed to lose weight, no cheat days yet, but i think we will start to incorporate them in once a week

We eat alot healthier and have smaller portions and has made a big difference, for the first time in about atleast 10 years i've dropped under 100kg

That's exactly right, we did hardly any exercise last week due to the missus being unwell, but we kept up our healthy eating and we both still managed to lose weight, no cheat days yet, but i think we will start to incorporate them in once a week

We eat alot healthier and have smaller portions and has made a big difference, for the first time in about atleast 10 years i've dropped under 100kg

And its about lifestyle and not diet. If you just diet then you will put it back on again. There is no easy/quick fix, its a lifestyle change and again lots of discipline.

And its about lifestyle and not diet. If you just diet then you will put it back on again. There is no easy/quick fix, its a lifestyle change and again lots of discipline.

We still walk, just not last week and once winter comes along we may join the gym, might be easier to do after being healthier and losing weight for a few months

i found the discipline quite easy to do, which surprised me, have had cravings but haven't caved into them

Rather than sit here and say what I've achieved - I'm going to use this thread as a stimulus for my efforts. I've read plenty, but not following any distinct plan, just trying things and seeing what works for me. If you have any suggestions, thoughts or ideas I'd love to hear them. I have very good readings on cholesterol, Blood-sugars, blood pressure etc. Those of a man 2/3 my size.

On January 2nd, I took my daughter to the park to learn to ride her bike. (She's 6, and I'm a horrible father). In the space of two short (50m) runs alongside her, I was blowing hard. On the third, I had a pain in my chest sharp enough to stop and let go of her. She crashed (but was ok), but it took me nearly 10 minutes to get my breath back. Maybe I pulled a muscle - maybe something much more serious.

That night, I stood on the scales for the first time in two years. They didn't work. I was so big the scales couldn't weigh me! I needed to use my son to counterbalance and get the weight. 156.2kg. I'm 37, have two children 11 and 6 and damn terrified.

I decided then and there to make a change. After one ridiculous night 'playing' with weights in the lounge room aside (from 2am to 6am when the sun came up) I've done ZERO exercise. What I did was restrict my food dramatically. I've never been a BAD eater - just an over-indulgent one. I love food, but more likely to dig into a 2nd/3rd helping of stew or stir-fry than a chocolate dessert or fried food. I'm also a very LAZY eater. I saw people on the diet shows - they all ate KFC/Pizza/Fish and Chips, drank Coke, etc. That wasn't me, so why was I so huge? I rarely had breakfast, lunch was a salad wrap and I drank water all day. Coffee without sugar, and tea was 'normal' meat and veg (if a very big serving, especially pasta/potato/rice). My only real vice was toast at/near bedtime, a conscious choice I made as it 'helped me sleep'.

The first day or two was hard. I was so hungry, and it affected my work as I couldn't concentrate. I doubled my water intake (2L between 8am and 5pm, 500ml either side), halved my coffees (4->2), skipped breakfast and lunch - and then ate as much as I wanted for tea. At 8pm I shut the fridge door. No bread, toast or biscuits and cheese. No Beer either (but not much of a drinker other than Scotch).

By Jan 12th, I broke the 150kg barrier. 6 kg in 10 days - I knew it was mainly water weight, but something strange was happening. No longer was I exhausted, desperately wanting to snack at 3pm. Instead I finished work, got home and felt like cooking! The next two weeks were even easier - I even somehow forgot to eat one day, going from 8pm on the 27th to 4pm on the 29th with only water and a few coffees.

I hit 146kg on the 29th January, and have just started to plateau (144.9kg tonight). I measured myself and appear to have lost at least a pants size (-6cm waist, -4cm hips, -4cm chest). People at work have noticed - I couldn't stop smiling after one lady quietly asked me if everything was ok as I had lost so much weight!. I'm not having issues with hunger pangs anymore - indeed more often than not I'm eating before I get hungry, and the "hunger pains" are coming 2-3 hours after eating. I'm ready to take the next step (literally).

Nothing arduous, I don't even care if it's a stroll, but to reach my weight target I need to keep adjusting what I can do. My wife has been walking since September and (apart from looking good!) has lost ~10kg, 2 dress sizes, and is now walking 90-120 minutes a night. My target is simple - to walk for 30 minutes every morning before taking the kids to school (and going to work). I've had knee and ankle trouble my whole life (even when fit) so hoping gentle walking won't affect it too much. I'm also very attractive to mosquitos and bitey insects, so night-time walking is impossible.

I stand 6'1 ish (184cm), and was 88kg at 17 when I played football and cricket (<11% bodyfat - I was a tank). Working physical jobs and sport 6 nights a week meant I could eat anything I wanted. By 21, I had blown a knee, had a fused verterbrae in the back and was working a desk job. I hit 130kg at 24, the first (of many) professional diet attempts, which have sadly been started every few years - all without any ongoing success.

So this time I'm doing it my way - no fads, no programs, no commercials.

One question to get started - with such a dramatic reduction in food intake, I've noticed I am no longer regular - should I look into somehow adding more fibre to my diet? Metamucil? Should I consider a laxative or similar?

RESULT: January 2018 (Meal Restriction - 1 meal per day, Water, Coffee)
Weight - 156.2 -> 144.9kg (11.3kg).
Waist - 142cm -> 136cm (6cm)
Hips - 138cm -> 134cm (4cm)
Chest - 132cm -> 128cm (4cm)

TARGET: February 2018 (Walking 30 min per day)
Weight: 135kg
Waist: 130cm
Hips: 130cm
Chest: 124cm

I hope to put in an update every month, maybe even adopting some of your suggestions along the way.

Rather than sit here and say what I've achieved - I'm going to use this thread as a stimulus for my efforts. I've read plenty, but not following any distinct plan, just trying things and seeing what works for me. If you have any suggestions, thoughts or ideas I'd love to hear them. I have very good readings on cholesterol, Blood-sugars, blood pressure etc. Those of a man 2/3 my size.

On January 2nd, I took my daughter to the park to learn to ride her bike. (She's 6, and I'm a horrible father). In the space of two short (50m) runs alongside her, I was blowing hard. On the third, I had a pain in my chest sharp enough to stop and let go of her. She crashed (but was ok), but it took me nearly 10 minutes to get my breath back. Maybe I pulled a muscle - maybe something much more serious.

That night, I stood on the scales for the first time in two years. They didn't work. I was so big the scales couldn't weigh me! I needed to use my son to counterbalance and get the weight. 156.2kg. I'm 37, have two children 11 and 6 and damn terrified.

I decided then and there to make a change. After one ridiculous night 'playing' with weights in the lounge room aside (from 2am to 6am when the sun came up) I've done ZERO exercise. What I did was restrict my food dramatically. I've never been a BAD eater - just an over-indulgent one. I love food, but more likely to dig into a 2nd/3rd helping of stew or stir-fry than a chocolate dessert or fried food. I'm also a very LAZY eater. I saw people on the diet shows - they all ate KFC/Pizza/Fish and Chips, drank Coke, etc. That wasn't me, so why was I so huge? I rarely had breakfast, lunch was a salad wrap and I drank water all day. Coffee without sugar, and tea was 'normal' meat and veg (if a very big serving, especially pasta/potato/rice). My only real vice was toast at/near bedtime, a conscious choice I made as it 'helped me sleep'.

The first day or two was hard. I was so hungry, and it affected my work as I couldn't concentrate. I doubled my water intake (2L between 8am and 5pm, 500ml either side), halved my coffees (4->2), skipped breakfast and lunch - and then ate as much as I wanted for tea. At 8pm I shut the fridge door. No bread, toast or biscuits and cheese. No Beer either (but not much of a drinker other than Scotch).

By Jan 12th, I broke the 150kg barrier. 6 kg in 10 days - I knew it was mainly water weight, but something strange was happening. No longer was I exhausted, desperately wanting to snack at 3pm. Instead I finished work, got home and felt like cooking! The next two weeks were even easier - I even somehow forgot to eat one day, going from 8pm on the 27th to 4pm on the 29th with only water and a few coffees.

I hit 146kg on the 29th January, and have just started to plateau (144.9kg tonight). I measured myself and appear to have lost at least a pants size (-6cm waist, -4cm hips, -4cm chest). People at work have noticed - I couldn't stop smiling after one lady quietly asked me if everything was ok as I had lost so much weight!. I'm not having issues with hunger pangs anymore - indeed more often than not I'm eating before I get hungry, and the "hunger pains" are coming 2-3 hours after eating. I'm ready to take the next step (literally).

Nothing arduous, I don't even care if it's a stroll, but to reach my weight target I need to keep adjusting what I can do. My wife has been walking since September and (apart from looking good!) has lost ~10kg, 2 dress sizes, and is now walking 90-120 minutes a night. My target is simple - to walk for 30 minutes every morning before taking the kids to school (and going to work). I've had knee and ankle trouble my whole life (even when fit) so hoping gentle walking won't affect it too much. I'm also very attractive to mosquitos and bitey insects, so night-time walking is impossible.

I stand 6'1 ish (184cm), and was 88kg at 17 when I played football and cricket (<11% bodyfat - I was a tank). Working physical jobs and sport 6 nights a week meant I could eat anything I wanted. By 21, I had blown a knee, had a fused verterbrae in the back and was working a desk job. I hit 130kg at 24, the first (of many) professional diet attempts, which have sadly been started every few years - all without any ongoing success.

One question to get started - with such a dramatic reduction in food intake, I've noticed I am no longer regular - should I look into somehow adding more fibre to my diet? Metamucil? Should I consider a laxative or similar?

I hope to put in an update every month, maybe even adopting some of your suggestions along the way.

Good work. One-meal a day is very interesting and probably not sustainable. I guess once you get to a weight your are happy with you can go back to 3 meals and exercise.

In regard to the knees/ankles, the walking will put pressure on them and they will be sore. But as you lose weight you will find they wont hurt as much as they wont need to do the work they are doing now. Make sure you give your knees/ankles time to recover if they are to sore, too many times people try and push through it and eventually do damage and then stop all together and go back to square 1 (no exercise and eating crap)

Good work. One-meal a day is very interesting and probably not sustainable. I guess once you get to a weight your are happy with you can go back to 3 meals and exercise.

In regard to the knees/ankles, the walking will put pressure on them and they will be sore. But as you lose weight you will find they wont hurt as much as they wont need to do the work they are doing now. Make sure you give your knees/ankles time to recover if they are to sore, too many times people try and push through it and eventually do damage and then stop all together and go back to square 1 (no exercise and eating crap)
Why isnt it sustainable? As long as you get your calorie intake on target and the food is nutrient dense then there shouldn't be an issue. And why do you need three meals a day?

Drink more water
Eat no pasta

This month has been hard, with multiple birthday parties and functions - the boss starting a new "Friday Lunch" program (takeaways/drinks for all staff in our Friday afternoon team meeting), three corporate functions, etc. I also managed to get a foot infection that stopped me walking for two weeks. Time to step up!

RESULT: February 2018 (Meal Restriction - 1 meal per day, Unlimited Water, 1 Coffee, ~2k walking)
Weight - 144.9kg -> 140.9 (4kg - not even halfway - also bouncing around this weight).
Waist - 136cm -> 130cm (6cm - on target but disappointed - thought I was ahead)
Hips - 134m -> 126cm (8cm!! - walking definitely helped here)
Chest - 128cm -> 125cm (3cm - close)

TARGET: March 2018 (Increase to 5k walking)
Weight: 133kg
Waist: 124cm
Hips: 123cm
Chest: 122cm

This month has been hard, with multiple birthday parties and functions - the boss starting a new "Friday Lunch" program (takeaways/drinks for all staff in our Friday afternoon team meeting), three corporate functions, etc. I also managed to get a foot infection that stopped me walking for two weeks. Time to step up!

RESULT: February 2018 (Meal Restriction - 1 meal per day, Unlimited Water, 1 Coffee, ~2k walking)
Weight - 144.9kg -> 140.9 (4kg - not even halfway - also bouncing around this weight).

Great effort, keep it going

I got a fitbit for xmas.

Lost just under 20kgs so far.

Im pretty obsessed with cracking 10000 steps each day and find Im keeping an eye on what I eat.

Still have a few "junk" meals now n then but so far so good.

I guess Im going with If you eat more then try and move more.

Still wanna lose another 10-15 but no time limit. Happy to lose 0.1kgs a month if it trends downwards

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

10,000 steps is a pretty much magic number, sorta.

Eat okay and you're sweet.

I drank too much piss when I was on my feet for six, seven to nine hours a day, walking an hour to and from the station or work. I still lost a keg or so a week but ya know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10,000 steps is a pretty much magic number, sorta.

Eat okay and you're sweet.

I drank too much piss when I was on my feet for six, seven to nine hours a day, walking an hour to and from the station or work. I still lost a keg or so a week but ya know.
Yeah I dont take the numbers as gospel but as a guide. If Ive only done 3000 or whatever I feel lazy. If I do 20000 I feel up and about

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Congrats mate!!

Keep it up. Planning & being present in your day to day choices is huge. You are aware of the curveballs that life's throwing at you so you can plan & prepare around them which is great!

Think positive. You can & you will.

Random bump - I was looking for any threads about people's health and weight during isolation but couldn't find anything.

How have people been managing?

Random bump - I was looking for any threads about people's health and weight during isolation but couldn't find anything.

As ive been working from home ive got more time on my hands (starting earlier and no hr long car ride back home at the end of the day). Thats resulted in going for a run most days (rather than once a week) and gotten back into bike riding. Been great for my fitness, gone from mentally struggling for motivation to run over summer to running daily, anywhere from 5km-10km. Bike rides have been in my lunch break - 25kms in the hour.

I think ive lost a few kg's but was already doing daily walks which have been replaced by runs so havent lost as much as i would have expected. Bit of extra drining (nothing outlandish but beers add up in calories) and snacking negated the exercise a bit. Been great mentally though, so refreshing.

I don’t think isolation should have any bearing on one’s weight. My weight has stayed exactly the same. It’s easy to do once you know how many calories you need a week. The way I do it is strict dieting 4 days a week and relaxed dieting for 3. Aim for 10-15k steps a day.
Anyone that blames weight gain on COVID and isolation is full of s**t IMO. I get that exercise could be compromised in this time but you can counter that by eating better. I heard someone on TV say that the ‘COVID 10’ (putting on 10kg in isolation) is a perfectly normal thing. No it isn’t.

As others have said, consume less calories than than you burn. Get a fit bit and download a calorie counting app on your phone. This may sound extreme.

Walk 10,000 to 15,000 steps a day. Make sure that some of this on an incline. Just keep active and moving. I am working in a job where I am on my feet a lot so thankfully this is not hard.

Still have the odd day where you eat unhealthy food, i.e. piece of cake at birthdays, a few beers if out etc. Just don't do it regularly.

Try and avoid saturated and trans fat i.e. butter, cream, fried food, pastries etc.

I have been doing this since last July and at the moment weigh 120kg, when I started I weighed 160kg.

Hope this helps. Sorry if it sounds preachy, it is not intended to be.

As others have said, consume less calories than than you burn. Get a fit bit and download a calorie counting app on your phone. This may sound extreme.

Walk 10,000 to 15,000 steps a day. Make sure that some of this on an incline. Just keep active and moving. I am working in a job where I am on my feet a lot so thankfully this is not hard.

Still have the odd day where you eat unhealthy food, i.e. piece of cake at birthdays, a few beers if out etc. Just don't do it regularly.

Try and avoid saturated and trans fat i.e. butter, cream, fried food, pastries etc.

I have been doing this since last July and at the moment weigh 120kg, when I started I weighed 160kg.

Hope this helps. Sorry if it sounds preachy, it is not intended to be.
Great effort!

Exercise regularly and don’t pig out. Simples really. Need routine with exercise though. Regular running helps alot.
Mine's been I eat like a disgusting pig but got to play organised basketball 3 times a week and kickboxing twice a week as well.

Take the last two things out, oof

Personally I've put in 8 kilos in 3 months. So any tips....plz
learn what foods comprise a good, healthy, nutritious diet that is sustainable for you and eat as much as you like.
don't drink your calories.
a bit of exercise helps but isn't nearly as important as the eating part.