Weight loss

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
learn what foods comprise a good, healthy, nutritious diet that is sustainable for you and eat as much as you like.
don't drink your calories.
a bit of exercise helps but isn't nearly as important as the eating part.
Wrong.

Eat as much as you like? even if it's good food that's a load of bs.

Exercise is very important regardless for good health, not just for being '' fit '' or trim.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Wrong.

Eat as much as you like? even if it's good food that's a load of bs.

Exercise is very important regardless for good health, not just for being '' fit '' or trim.
its extremely difficult to overeat on a good, healthy, nutritious diet...you have to really try.
if you're eating properly you'll get full before you get fat.

and yes exercise is important for health but as far as weight loss is concerned its only about 5% of the puzzle. the rest is diet.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gone from 75-95kg from lockdown alcoholism and comfort eating from depression. Back down to 88kg so far.

18/6 intermittent fasting. Eating 1-2 meals in that time. No refined sugar. No alcohol! No snacks. Almost nothing out of a package. Meat, fish, veg dishes mainly.

Will be back down in no time. I smoke Mary Jane all the time and I never had munchies like I did being a temporary alco! Half a bottle of whiskey a day makes you effin hungry!

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Gone from 75-95kg from lockdown alcoholism and comfort eating from depression. Back down to 88kg so far.

18/6 intermittent fasting. Eating 1-2 meals in that time. No refined sugar. No alcohol! No snacks. Almost nothing out of a package. Meat, fish, veg dishes mainly.

Will be back down in no time. I smoke Mary Jane all the time and I never had munchies like I did being a temporary alco! Half a bottle of whiskey a day makes you effin hungry!
That’s a very similar game plan to what I adopted and lost 13kg on in 2019. 18-6 doesn’t seem to be that common for people that fast but that was the easiest and most efficient one for me. 1pm - 7pm window each day.

Alcohol is an absolute killer. Not only does it contain dead calories, but there’s no way you’re gonna be in the mood to chop up veggies, prepare and cook something healthy, wash up etc once you’ve had a few sips. Everyone’s different but I found the cutting of alcohol to be the hardest part of dieting.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
That’s a very similar game plan to what I adopted and lost 13kg on in 2019. 18-6 doesn’t seem to be that common for people that fast but that was the easiest and most efficient one for me. 1pm - 7pm window each day.

Alcohol is an absolute killer. Not only does it contain dead calories, but there’s no way you’re gonna be in the mood to chop up veggies, prepare and cook something healthy, wash up etc once you’ve had a few sips. Everyone’s different but I found the cutting of alcohol to be the hardest part of dieting.

I find 18/6 pretty easy. I’m not a huge eater normally so most days one meal and one smaller meal during that window is pretty easy to handle!

Spot on with the alcohol. Get drunk and hungry and it’s pizza or maccas or something frozen in the air fryer.

At least When I smoke I get creative brain that wants to cook a masterpiece haha.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I tend to hover around 54kg. I'm 6 foot exactly, so that makes me underweight according to BMI.

I eat 2-4 meals/snacks a day. Just don't seem to put weight on. It might be because (when at leisure) I like to eat slow, so whilst it feels like I am often eating, the meals themselves are fairly small and not terribly fatty. Maybe it digests differently as well or manages hunger.

The most I've ever been was about 85kg at 20 when a young peak-fitness person eating scran in the military. I needed muscle back then to get through a lot of the bootcampy activities. Lots of meat, pasta, weekend Maccas, that sort of thing. Remember losing about 10kg in a week when I was briefly injured in late 2009, and haven't been 80+ ever since. About 2 years later when running marathons I stopped buying meat/chicken groceries (passive pescatarian diet basically ever since). Had mostly desk jobs after that and also became a good budgeter when needed (could easily live on $30 food a week permanently if necessary). Still binge on chocolately treats regularly.

My mother has always been thin and fit. My father has been overweight for about as long as I can remember, certainly from his 40s (had a lot of health issues before middle age, but also grew up in a Diary industry region and loves a feed and to cook). Growing up you could always hear him stomping about heavily or coughing audibly, whereas I've always been able to sneak about undetected basically (partly a love for footwork, ankles are precious to me).

Last edited:

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I've had a weird last few months.

I've been fat forever... then when the COVID stuff started I lost my job. In the immediate aftermath I was really lonely, depressed and anxious - so I was eating s**t, day drinking and not exercising. I reckon I put on 10kgs in a month.

And then I was struck down by a mystery illness. For the last 2 months I've been seeing doctor after doctor, because I can't find anything I can eat except bread and steamed broccoli without probably throwing up afterwards. At least 90% of the time when I've tried to eat anything else over the last 2 months it's made me sick.

Which has led me from being fat, loving savoury foods and eating heaps of them, to a few days ago... I went and got my favourite takeaway food for lunch, and 2 hours later it snuck up on me and I threw it back up all over the shower. As a result, there's not a food in the world that I want to eat right now. Cos as good as it might be going down, I can't enjoy it being so conscious of how awful it feels coming back up. After years of eating for Australia, I now wish we'd just invented a pill that we could take in lieu of food.

It's funny though, I didn't lose weight as quickly as I expected. I mean, I have a lot of extra weight to lose, and after putting it on so quickly after losing my job I expected it would drop off quite quickly. It took 6 weeks of not eating before I began to notice a change, and then over the last 2 weeks it's started to seem quite rapid. The human body is fascinating.

I tend to hover around 54kg. I'm 6 foot exactly, so that makes me underweight according to BMI.

I eat 2-4 meals/snacks a day. Just don't seem to put weight on. It might be because (when at leisure) I like to eat slow, so whilst it feels like I am often eating, the meals themselves are fairly small and not terribly fatty. Maybe it digests differently as well or manages hunger.

The most I've ever been was about 85kg at 20 when a young peak-fitness person eating scran in the military. I needed muscle back then to get through a lot of the bootcampy activities. Lots of meat, pasta, weekend Maccas, that sort of thing. Remember losing about 10kg in a week when I was briefly injured in late 2009, and haven't been 80+ ever since. About 2 years later when running marathons I stopped buying meat/chicken groceries (passive pescatarian diet basically ever since). Had mostly desk jobs after that and also became a good budgeter when needed (could easily live on $30 food a week permanently if necessary). Still binge on chocolately treats regularly.

My mother has always been thin and fit. My father has been overweight for about as long as I can remember, certainly from his 40s (had a lot of health issues before middle age, but also grew up in a Diary industry region and loves a feed and to cook). Growing up you could always hear him stomping about heavily or coughing audibly, whereas I've always been able to sneak about undetected basically (partly a love for footwork, ankles are precious to me).

Just a bit underweight? Are you sure you're 54kg @ 183cm?
That's ridiculously lean, even dangerously so. Typo maybe?

Never thought I'd see my weight to where it is, given I was 83.5 kgs but I gave it a shot.
Just under 69kgs now and feel pretty good even for the alcohol habit. Plenty of training and dumped the fat stuff and meats.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Yeah stable 54kgs at 6'0. I can steadily outeat anyone at the table and don't need to exercise for weight maintenance or body image reasons (blood circulation and endorphin high is the main motive for occasional exercise). I know, it sounds weirdly lean (I feel the cold more nowadays), but I never get sick and have always been excellent at cardio. It suits me fine, and I have a healthy balanced diet, so I'm not fazed. I guess it's a bit like the inverse of being slightly overweight.

Last edited:
I've had a weird last few months.

I've been fat forever... then when the COVID stuff started I lost my job. In the immediate aftermath I was really lonely, depressed and anxious - so I was eating s**t, day drinking and not exercising. I reckon I put on 10kgs in a month.

And then I was struck down by a mystery illness. For the last 2 months I've been seeing doctor after doctor, because I can't find anything I can eat except bread and steamed broccoli without probably throwing up afterwards. At least 90% of the time when I've tried to eat anything else over the last 2 months it's made me sick.

Which has led me from being fat, loving savoury foods and eating heaps of them, to a few days ago... I went and got my favourite takeaway food for lunch, and 2 hours later it snuck up on me and I threw it back up all over the shower. As a result, there's not a food in the world that I want to eat right now. Cos as good as it might be going down, I can't enjoy it being so conscious of how awful it feels coming back up. After years of eating for Australia, I now wish we'd just invented a pill that we could take in lieu of food.

It's funny though, I didn't lose weight as quickly as I expected. I mean, I have a lot of extra weight to lose, and after putting it on so quickly after losing my job I expected it would drop off quite quickly. It took 6 weeks of not eating before I began to notice a change, and then over the last 2 weeks it's started to seem quite rapid. The human body is fascinating.
Hope you're feeling all good mate

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone given keto a go?
Yeah, it's good for weight loss. I use it during Spring to lean out for Summer. Combined with Intermittent Fasting (I do 16/8 when using) and its effective. Of course you still need to exercise and not go over the top with calories, but I've found it easier then just cutting back normal food for the 'summer bod'.

The worst part is the cut over, with Keto flu as your body switches to burning fat. Once that's past about the only on-going effect is you do tend to feel the cold more. Which isn't an issue if doing in Spring through Autumn, but could make it a pain in Winter if you are already a person who doesn't like the season.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well I guess the only positive to come out of isolating is a 3kg weight loss (and saving a sh1t tonne of money). I'm hovering around 96kgs right now (6 foot 3 tall) and looking to trim down to about 90-91kgs. Started running heaps more, cut out soft drinks and alcohol for a few weeks. Makes such a huge difference cutting down on the piss and focusing on just cardio lately.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Well I guess the only positive to come out of isolating is a 3kg weight loss (and saving a sh1t tonne of money). I'm hovering around 96kgs right now (6 foot 3 tall) and looking to trim down to about 90-91kgs. Started running heaps more, cut out soft drinks and alcohol for a few weeks. Makes such a huge difference cutting down on the piss and focusing on just cardio lately.
I need to do this.

good work

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
have lost about 10kg in lockdown.

cut out almost all alcohol and have been doing 90 minute walks at lunch time. started eating breakfast

188cm and 99kg to 89kg in about 6 weeks.

now down to 82kg and looking forward to each day’s exercise.

have done >10k steps everyday since june 4 - a good habit that is yielding results without being unsustainable.