Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I should have prefaced my comments by saying I live in London which does complicate things.

best advice I can give is find a nearby 24/7 gym.

has really helped me with consistency
I have joined a couple of 24 hour gyms in the past but unfortunately I work out of town and start early (8am) so the public transport schedule's don't allow me to work out before work and the nature of low cost 24 hour gyms is that they are far too busy for me to use in the afternoon.
What about buying a home gym
Some good second hand stuff on gumtree etc
Sadly living in London I barely have room to swing a cat in my apartment let alone a barbell :'(

I could actually use a gym at work for free but it's not the greatest
Its kinda designed for women with big bums that wear lycra
Its got about four walkers and three bikes
Has a bench and some of the plate machines
Has a rower and a kickbag with some kettle bells

You cant squat as there is no rack no cage and only one bar so if someones doing bench ya stuffed
The worse thing is they scrimped on floor tiles
Theyve been down for over a year and they absolutely stink.
I walked in to get inducted and said, we'll that's me not using this place...I was asked why so I told them they got cheap toxic emitting tiles
I was told the smell will go away in a few weeks
Lol
Over a year later it's still as strong, its putrid, how people can use the place and breath that stink in I'll never know
So im saving for my own equipment so hopefully in about a month or so have done enough overtime to get some stuff.

I should have prefaced my comments by saying I live in London which does complicate things.

I have joined a couple of 24 hour gyms in the past but unfortunately I work out of town and start early (8am) so the public transport schedule's don't allow me to work out before work and the nature of low cost 24 hour gyms is that they are far too busy for me to use in the afternoon.

Sadly living in London I barely have room to swing a cat in my apartment let alone a barbell :'(
Finally found a 24 hour gym I can get to before work (using a night bus). Although I do have to wake up at 4:40 to get my session done in time.

Only £25 a month which considering the size of it is a pretty good deal, bonus is because I'm training from 5-6 there barely anyone else in there. Obviously if I go in the afternoon it's a totally different story

So back on the wagon for now. Counting calories on myfitnesspal, gym yesterday morning and a 2.5km run this morning.

:thumbsu:

I'm your classic 'hard gainer'. So I'll bulk like a boss. Eat everything in sight and not give a single *. But i've never actually had to 'cut' in the way most people bulk and cut. All I do is revert back to normal healthy eating and the fat strips away.

Sometimes I wonder about what I'm eating and count those calories. Like my morning shakes I was having equated to about ~1200 cals. But I never track my diet day in, day out. I guess I just know my body and how it works/reacts.

I'm your classic 'hard gainer'. So I'll bulk like a boss. Eat everything in sight and not give a single ****. But i've never actually had to 'cut' in the way most people bulk and cut. All I do is revert back to normal healthy eating and the fat strips away.

Sometimes I wonder about what I'm eating and count those calories. Like my morning shakes I was having equated to about ~1200 cals. But I never track my diet day in, day out. I guess I just know my body and how it works/reacts.
You're pretty damn lucky. If I want to achieve a state of low body fat I need to be pretty ******* careful about what I eat

I was looking at doing chest twice a week as it's lagging a little. I saw this Scott Herman post and he suggested this split which included 36 sets of chest work for 1 week. Surely that's way over doing it?

I was looking at doing chest twice a week as it's lagging a little. I saw this Scott Herman post and he suggested this split which included 36 sets of chest work for 1 week. Surely that's way over doing it?

How many sets have you been doing a week on chest?

I'm guessing not 36 already. Take his exercises but up the sets slightly from what you are currently doing and maybe after 4 weeks add some more in.

How many sets have you been doing a week on chest?

I'm guessing not 36 already. Take his exercises but up the sets slightly from what you are currently doing and maybe after 4 weeks add some more in.
I do around 12 currently, one days worth. Do you think it's worth doing 2 chest days? So about 24 sets? Or maybe a heavy day and a light day?

I do around 12 currently, one days worth. Do you think it's worth doing 2 chest days? So about 24 sets? Or maybe a heavy day and a light day?

If you are only doing 12 sets once a week, doing 12 more on a separate day in the same week is a lot more volume and maybe to much to soon. But give it a go and see how you feel, maybe just try 8 sets on the second session and build up after a couple of weeks.

My preference is to keep the sessions the same, both heavy or both light. But nothing says you can't do one of each.

My tip would be, all blokes lift to much when it comes to chest day. Shoulders and triceps take away tension from the chest. So ease of on the weight and really feel the chest muscles, some light cable flys at the start of the session can help the mind muscle connection.

Chest is one muscle where reduced range of motion will be beneficial. I've found incline chest exercises help isolate the muscles a little more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chest is one muscle where reduced range of motion will be beneficial. I've found incline chest exercises help isolate the muscles a little more.
I've found slowing the eccentric part of a chest movement helps with targeting the muscle but also form / protecting the shoulder from injury.
Keeping the shoulder blades back and flat on the bench helps quite a lot too.

As a newbie to the 'scene' I'm finding it rather hard to actually to come to a decision on a specific type of workout
Do I buy this equip or that, do I eat this or that
Some say do this and you'll lose weight as well while doing it,some say concentrate on losing the weight first then build muscle

Its hard to come to some sort of decision
Dont with to spend coin on stuff and then lose intersted in a month because I see no gains (or loss)
So many peeps say diff things or do it diff

The only things i know are i dont want to go to a gym, I'd rather buy equip,I don't want a PT AS I'd rather push myself and I want to get rid of the potbelly and put on a bit of muscle on the top half.

Too much info is just doing my head in :mad::(

As a newbie to the 'scene' I'm finding it rather hard to actually to come to a decision on a specific type of workout
Do I buy this equip or that, do I eat this or that
Some say do this and you'll lose weight as well while doing it,some say concentrate on losing the weight first then build muscle

Its hard to come to some sort of decision
Dont with to spend coin on stuff and then lose intersted in a month because I see no gains (or loss)
So many peeps say diff things or do it diff

The only things i know are i dont want to go to a gym, I'd rather buy equip,I don't want a PT AS I'd rather push myself and I want to get rid of the potbelly and put on a bit of muscle on the top half.

Too much info is just doing my head in :mad::(

It can be frustrating and overwhelming to start with. Just be clear to yourself with your goals, by the sounds of it you want to lose some weight in the right places and gain muscle in the right places.

At the start you may be able to drop weight and gain some muscle, what the "bros" call newbie gains, but personally i would suggest losing some weight first then building some muscle after that.

You can't spot reduce fat, your body will decide where it wants to lose weight from.

You will need to be in calorie deficit to lose weight, calorie surplus to gain weight. In regards to diet find something that works for you, this will involve a bit of trial and error.

Don't worry to much on supplements at this stage, you can add these in after a couple months of training. All you need is Whey Protein, BCAA, creatine

If you come across a type of training and diet that appeals to you, give it a go and see what happens. If it doesn't work try something new and see how it goes. Try to focus on style of work out / diet at a time.

1 - but equipment as is your choice
2 - any training program will do you for now so fond one that fits your schedule/ability etc and get to it
3 - sort your diet out which is pretty easy cut our pastries, sweets, soda etc - you know the s**t stuff you eat

if cash isn't really an issue for buying equipment then i'd get:

- squat rack, bar and plates
- bowlfex db's
- some cable set up
- trx or rings

in that order of preference

What's everyone's favourite squat variation?
Bulgarian split squats for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's everyone's favourite squat variation?
Bulgarian split squats for me.
I've switched to front squats the past 3 weeks and will stick with it for the next 5 weeks.
I have poor flexibility and long femurs so I find it much easier to get deep while keeping the upper torso closer to upright.

Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a long time (over a year) to find a regime that get results. I'm a pretty lean sort of bloke who has the kind of metabolism that enables me to lose body fat with only clean eating (no need for cardio).

My diet is pretty strict and conducive to my weight gain goals - good fats (avacado, nuts), good carbs (potatos, sweet potatos, brown bread and brown rice) and protein as well as an almost daily intake of carrots, brocolli, cauliflower and pak choy. I also eat a lot of salmon.

My supplements consist of my protein shake every day and one of those green powdered vegetable drinks a day.

I'm currently with a personal trainer who seem alright. I go three times a week, never twice in a row. We focus heavily on technique and do a wide variety of exercises.

Despite all of this, the going has been very slow. It's frustrating because I'm really trying to account for everything. I'm running out of patience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Best of luck to you all with your fitness goals and footy! :)

Any program will work if you stick to it

That being said you're actually paying your trainer for this information so I'd be directing thus to him and if he can't deliver anything then get rid of him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back