Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll give you an example of what's going on here using my bench press

Heaviest I've ever lifted is 100kg for 4 reps = 1RM of 109kg

Using Wendler's 90% model that becomes 98kg then using his 95% model for 1+ set in week 3 that weight becomes 92.50kg, which I can do for about 6 reps

Then using his 2.5kg increase method it means I won't be approaching my 4RM (actual not theoretical) for my 1+ set for 4 months, That's an absurd waste of time IMO.

Having said that I haven't read his book so maybe there is a justification for this.

I'm happy to be working in the lower % for the bulk of the program and slowly build the strength over time but to spend 4 months working at weights below what I'm already capable of seems like a waste to me.
Is that all your lifting? After reading all your posts you sounded like a keto BP fasting boxing and weight lifting machine. Now I'm starting to wonder!

531 isn't all about load pb's - it pushes rep pb's too which again means you're getting stronger

"true" strength building requires a slow build up with most benefits coming neurally which won't happen with shorter programs

You might be better off just doing smolov which WILL put at least 10kgs on your pb in 4 weeks and no time will be wasted in that sense

submaximal programs as 531 essentially is aren't short term options really

Is that all your lifting? After reading all your posts you sounded like a keto BP fasting boxing and weight lifting machine. Now I'm starting to wonder!
I can assure you my lifts are nothing to write home about, with the exception of pull ups have managed 6 reps at +30kg (82.1kg body weight) before. By far my strongest exercise

531 isn't all about load pb's - it pushes rep pb's too which again means you're getting stronger

"true" strength building requires a slow build up with most benefits coming neurally which won't happen with shorter programs

You might be better off just doing smolov which WILL put at least 10kgs on your pb in 4 weeks and no time will be wasted in that sense

submaximal programs as 531 essentially is aren't short term options really
Yeah I've made my peace with that :)

Happy to get into 531 for the long haul

Out of curiosity, for the guys (or gals) pushing 'heavier' weights (which I presume is everyone that checks this thread) what sort of movement preparation or warm up do you do prior to the heaviest sets of your first/primary exercise?

For deads I'd do some core bracing prep

For bench some shoulder stabilisation

For squats some hip/ankle mobility and core stabilisation

Then build over 5-6 sets to a max set of 1-3 with all reps aiming to be as fast as they can

If in doing bench press for example, I will do 2 warm up sets, 2 intermediate sets of bench press then hit my working sets. Just increase the weight a little bit each time.

If in doing bench press for example, I will do 2 warm up sets, 2 intermediate sets of bench press then hit my working sets. Just increase the weight a little bit each time.

Anything prior to jumping on the bench?

Some things however aren't isolated to certain people. No matter who you are, if you only target specific muscle groups you'll not be doing a complete workout.
Are you suggesting that unless you exercise your entire body every workout then those workouts are incomplete?

Are you suggesting that unless you exercise your entire body every workout then those workouts are incomplete?
No. Not every workout. I have multiple workout plans for cardio and weights which I complete on different days.

As I've stated from the beginning, I believe in total-body workouts which target as many muscle groups at once.

The reason I don't like machines and prefer to use free weights where possible is that machines only target a few or sometimes only one group of muscles.

For people who want bulk then targeting specific muscle groups is usually the way to go.

For people like myself, I benefit greatly by having functional strength - specifically core strength targeted exercises for Jiu-Jitsu.

I do some rotator cuff work now before benching.

I was starting to get a bit of discomfort in one shoulder even during light warm up sets, but it's disappeared completely since I added the above in.

Nothing else, just straight into bench.

My body is pretty resilient, I've played footy since I was 5, now 30
And aside from breaking my nose and straining ligaments in both ankles a couple times I've never had any issues with soft tissue injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

De Angelo 8 or de Franco 8. I can't remember what it's called. Then 3-5 warm up sets depending on the weight.

Deads for example would be 60, 100, 140, 180, 200 then drop back to 160 for working

De Angelo 8 or de Franco 8. I can't remember what it's called. Then 3-5 warm up sets depending on the weight.

Deads for example would be 60, 100, 140, 180, 200 then drop back to 160 for working
DeFranco Agile 8. So you blended it together to make DeAngelo

What's is the optimal angle for incline bench press?

My current gym has benches that sit at 28 and 38 degrees (measured on my iPhone this morning), I've tried both, 38 is harder ergo my ego takes a hit by not lifting as much (not ideal), I do feel as though I hit the upper pecs better at the steeper gradient though.

Decisions, decisions.

As some of you may have realised, I like to keep as up to date as possible as to what science says about weight training etc
The results of this study suggest that using accommodating resistance (bands and/or chains) will yield greater improvement in overall power output than using just straight bar weight

Last edited:
As some of you may have realised, I like to keep as up to date as possible as to what science says about weight training etc
The results of this study suggest that using accommodating resistance (bands and/or chains) will yield greater improvement in overall power output than using just straight bar weight

Im glad science has caught up with common sense. The hardest part of any lift is the bottom of it (generalising, but take squat, bench, overhead for eg), Once you get past that point it gets easier. you only really train the bottom of the lift. That increased resistance as you lift further means you push harder throughout the movement, not just at the hardest point

Im glad science has caught up with common sense. The hardest part of any lift is the bottom of it (generalising, but take squat, bench, overhead for eg), Once you get past that point it gets easier. you only really train the bottom of the lift. That increased resistance as you lift further means you push harder throughout the movement, not just at the hardest point

It was always one of those things that was hypothesized as being true, but never quantified in a significant trial/study (significant referring to the confirmation/validity of results in this context)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back