Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

It's also got to do with the fact that using accomodating resistance forces you to accelerate through the whole lift, whereas just using a bar you will at some stage begin to decelerate, especially with lighter weights.

Do you follow the myodetox guys ? I imagine they are up your alley

Not the myodetox page itself (and tbh I hadn't bothered to look for any accounts associated with them)
The myodetox page liked a few of my vids a few weeks back but there didn't seem to be much content so I didn't follow through.
I did just find an associated account with what looks to be some decent content so I'll do some more digging.
Most of the therapists I follow are more clinical/exercise based chiros that predominantly deal with MMA or crossfit guys

Had a mate who wanted to run a preseason strength and conditioning program for our club. Only had a handful of us turn up and I'm regretting signing up. Most of the blokes have never done weights. And the sessions are way too easy for me
What's the harm in doing my own s**t outside it?

Had a mate who wanted to run a preseason strength and conditioning program for our club. Only had a handful of us turn up and I'm regretting signing up. Most of the blokes have never done weights. And the sessions are way too easy for me

Probably not a lot if the "in club" training is legitimately sub-anything near maximal.
It'd be like me worrying about overtraining doing exercise demos for clients

Probably not a lot if the "in club" training is legitimately sub-anything near maximal.
It'd be like me worrying about overtraining doing exercise demos for clients
Hah good point. I shouldn't second guess myself
Was basically 3 exercises, 3 working sets of each. And it's 3 days a week. Full body each day.
I've been doing body part splits and weight training for about 3 years. I think it's a bit below me. Especially when three of the blokes had never done squats before

Hah good point. I shouldn't second guess myself
Was basically 3 exercises, 3 working sets of each. And it's 3 days a week. Full body each day.
I've been doing body part splits and weight training for about 3 years. I think it's a bit below me. Especially when three of the blokes had never done squats before

Dunno what the set up is like but if you can do it in a circuit for higher reps you can use it as conditioning/GPP, or even the exercises with some isometrics or more ballistic/plyometric

Dunno what the set up is like but if you can do it in a circuit for higher reps you can use it as conditioning/GPP, or even the exercises with some isometrics or more ballistic/plyometric
Can't do it. We have to spot each other between sets and we only have the set up for everyone to do the same exercise before moving onto the next one. They also recommend only doing 2 or 3 cardio sessions of 2-3km a week.

Can't do it. We have to spot each other between sets and we only have the set up for everyone to do the same exercise before moving onto the next one. They also recommend only doing 2 or 3 cardio sessions of 2-3km a week.

This guy hasn't done work experience at the Demons by any chance? Sounds pretty similar to the weigh they train lol (2nd hand at least)
If you can, then I think either doing isometrics or ballistic would be of more benefit than doing regular style. At least then you get a different stimulus to your regular gym program, and both those variations are reasonably easy to recover from

This guy hasn't done work experience at the Demons by any chance? Sounds pretty similar to the weigh they train lol (2nd hand at least)
If you can, then I think either doing isometrics or ballistic would be of more benefit than doing regular style. At least then you get a different stimulus to your regular gym program, and both those variations are reasonably easy to recover from
Might see what I can do. We are supposed to be doing some plyo training with him. I'm just gonna do my training and treat his as part of footy training (I always do my own stuff on top of footy training anyway)

Rate my split bros, it's mostly set up for hypertrophy but with a strength day (taken from 5x5SL) in there

Mon: Strength day, 5x5 squats, 5x5 bent over rows, 1x5 deadlifts (heavy), 2x8 calf raised (seated, heavy) + 5 sets of ab work (changes)
Tue: Chest/push day, 3x10 flat bench, 3x12 incline DB bench, 3x12 skullcrushers, 3x12 DB seated pullovers, 3x15 cable crossovers, 3x12 bench (machine), 1xFatigue flat DB bench, 1xFatigue Cable tri pushdowns
Wed: Back/pull day, 4x12 bent over row, 3x12 lat pulldown, 3x12 preacher curls, 3x12 one arm row, 3x12 conc curls, 1xfatigue seated row, 1xFatigue, bicep curl machine
Thur: Legs, 3x12 stiff leg deads, 4x12 BB calf raise, 4x12 hack squat, 4x15 leg press, 1xfatigue seated calf raise, 1xfatigue leg extensions, 1xfatigue leg curls
Fri: Rest
Sat: Shoulders, 3x10 BB shoulder press, 3x12 upright row, 3x12 barbell wrist curls, 3x12 arnold press, 3x12 lat raise, 1xFatigue shrugs, 1xFatigue machine shoulder press
Sun: Basketball

why can't you just unsign up from it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the cardio prescription isn't truly bad depending on how they want it done

Rate my split bros, it's mostly set up for hypertrophy but with a strength day (taken from 5x5SL) in there

Mon: Strength day, 5x5 squats, 5x5 bent over rows, 1x5 deadlifts (heavy), 2x8 calf raised (seated, heavy) + 5 sets of ab work (changes)
Tue: Chest/push day, 3x10 flat bench, 3x12 incline DB bench, 3x12 skullcrushers, 3x12 DB seated pullovers, 3x15 cable crossovers, 3x12 bench (machine), 1xFatigue flat DB bench, 1xFatigue Cable tri pushdowns
Wed: Back/pull day, 4x12 bent over row, 3x12 lat pulldown, 3x12 preacher curls, 3x12 one arm row, 3x12 conc curls, 1xfatigue seated row, 1xFatigue, bicep curl machine
Thur: Legs, 3x12 stiff leg deads, 4x12 BB calf raise, 4x12 hack squat, 4x15 leg press, 1xfatigue seated calf raise, 1xfatigue leg extensions, 1xfatigue leg curls
Sat: Shoulders, 3x10 BB shoulder press, 3x12 upright row, 3x12 barbell wrist curls, 3x12 arnold press, 3x12 lat raise, 1xFatigue shrugs, 1xFatigue machine shoulder press

take the strength day out an ad the exercise to movement day then probably take 1 of those exercises off

so for example take 5 x 5 bench and out it on bench day and take out bench machine or soemthing

with a hypertrophy split i'd lower the strength reps myself so you train true strength, not crossing over with a strength/hypertrophy hybrid set up like 5 x 5

take the strength day out an ad the exercise to movement day then probably take 1 of those exercises off

so for example take 5 x 5 bench and out it on bench day and take out bench machine or soemthing

with a hypertrophy split i'd lower the strength reps myself so you train true strength, not crossing over with a strength/hypertrophy hybrid set up like 5 x 5
So do 4 days instead of 5 you reckon? I was actually considering playing bball on Mondays anyway so that works for me

Let him know you need something g different then - otherwise I just see it as junk volume for you
We've already discussed that, there's no capacity for it. It's not going to overtrain me and it's not bad enough that I have to take time off my training to do it. It's only for 8 weeks anyway.

We've already discussed that, there's no capacity for it. It's not going to overtrain me and it's not bad enough that I have to take time off my training to do it. It's only for 8 weeks anyway.

your choice I suppose

well depending on the load you use you could do drop and catch, drop catch and hold, drop catch jump, eccentric focus, isometric focus, speed focus and then leave that out of your won training for now

I would recommend against mixing and matching programs.
You can still do the 5x5 on 4 days (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead) - just grab an assistance template from 5/3/1, Mountain Dog or make your own
I don't rate deadlifts super highly and would personally put either chin ups or bent over rows in place of them as the first exercise on "back" day but really that's up to you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back