Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that's fairly common for most people. I rarely do any form of sit ups
Can you do t without weight without feeling it in your lower back? Is the movement controlled or are you jerking?

For most people sit ups are a waste of time, the main reason why people can't see a proper 6 pack is not because of a lack of muscle development but because they have to much body fat. Also most people do ab exercises incorrectly I.e. Hooking their feet in and doing a crunch, were their legs are doing most of the work and not truly isolating their ab muscles.

For most people sit ups are a waste of time, the main reason why people can't see a proper 6 pack is not because of a lack of muscle development but because they have to much body fat. Also most people do ab exercises incorrectly I.e. Hooking their feet in and doing a crunch, were their legs are doing most of the work and not truly isolating their ab muscles.
Agree completely

Step 1 to doing crunches effectively - find another exercise

In all seriousness though, even if I was going to program a sit up type movement (unlikely), decline would be the last progression - not the first one I gave.
I just think so few people have the abdominal strength to do a flat sit up safely, let alone increasing the difficulty by adding a decline

Step 1 to doing crunches effectively - find another exercise

In all seriousness though, even if I was going to program a sit up type movement (unlikely), decline would be the last progression - not the first one I gave.
I just think so few people have the abdominal strength to do a flat sit up safely, let alone increasing the difficulty by adding a decline
Most trainers have no clue about core. They don't realise a decent weight training session should see core engaged enough of the time that it doesn't need much additional work

Most trainers have no clue about core. They don't realise a decent weight training session should see core engaged enough of the time that it doesn't need much additional work

Agreed.
That and seriously overplaying the role of spinal flexion whilst underplaying the role of the abdominals in preventing hyper extension of the lumbar spine

Gents what are your thoughts on how to perform a shrug.

I've always been the belief that move the "shoulders" up and down in a vertical motion. However I see a lot of people rolling their shoulders.

I've always been the belief that move the "shoulders" up and down in a vertical motion. However I see a lot of people rolling their shoulders.
Can't say I roll the shoulders. I do find pulling the bar up and bringing my shoulder blades together gives me the best 'burn' in my upper traps

Unless you can/are doing them with a wheelbarrow like below I don't see any point in rolling the shoulders. All the load is running vertically so moving across that doesn't really accomplish much (maybe an isometric contraction, but you can just hold at the top to accomplish the same thing)
Deviating from the question somewhat, but I really like doing shrugs with KB and chest support on adjustable bench (using the different angles of the bench). More horizontal for improving scrap retraction during bench and more vertical for improving starting position in deadlift

Absolutely no mechanical reason to roll the shoulders.

You can lean forwards slightly so the traps get a better stretch at full extension but that's it. There is zero purpose for rolling when the upper traps are the target. In fact I'd go as far as to say it's silly and potentially dangerous.

Can you do variations across different sessions?
Working off 6 minutes
40:20 x 6
30:30 x 6
20:40 x 6

I guess it comes down to your goals a bit as well, if there's no specific number/distance you're chasing then I think the effort is the most important aspect as long as you have some measure to track progress
Well it worked. Got 150.2 overall. 134m 135m 131m 131m 129m and 136m. Much better than first time. If i can average 135m I might decrease recovery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not impressed by stupidity :p

The idea is stupid
The fact he pulled it off without guillotining himself is the impressive part lol

That squat was 2x body weight as well which is impressive before the rubik cube

Damn that looks killer - I dropset with pause squats at the end of leg day and find they kill me even after backing the weight off.

Well it worked. Got 150.2 overall. 134m 135m 131m 131m 129m and 136m. Much better than first time. If i can average 135m I might decrease recovery.

you could work it out on meters per second which allows you to use different work:rest ratio's and still see the progress against each other

so 134m in 60secs = 2.23m/sec

make sense?

Hey folks,

What is the bare minimum a 100kg male can log at a local powerlifting comp without being beaten as a troll?

I'd love to try it in 2017 as an "experience" yet know I'll finish dead last. I just don't want to get hated on and insult the sport like those "fat chicks" with 13% body fat that enter Bikini comps and get mashed online by the legit competitors.

I'm not quite Eddy the Eel, I'll log over 350kg. Which is maybe less than than half what the winner will do.

Hey folks,

What is the bare minimum a 100kg male can log at a local powerlifting comp without being beaten as a troll?

I'd love to try it in 2017 as an "experience" yet know I'll finish dead last. I just don't want to get hated on and insult the sport like those "fat chicks" with 13% body fat that enter Bikini comps and get mashed online by the legit competitors.

I'm not quite Eddy the Eel, I'll log over 350kg. Which is maybe less than than half what the winner will do.

Just turn up
You'll struggle to find a sport that supports beginners more than powerlifting
There's always plenty of unsanctioned beginner comps as well that you can have a crack at first
If your want to find one pm me

Just turn up
You'll struggle to find a sport that supports beginners more than powerlifting
There's always plenty of unsanctioned beginner comps as well that you can have a crack at first
If your want to find one pm me

Thanks ! Is there something like an online Calendar of comps? Is there a website or something like INBA as an organization? I shouldn't be lazy and just google it, however if you can spot me some info I'll be grateful.

Thanks ! Is there something like an online Calendar of comps? Is there a website or something like INBA as an organization? I shouldn't be lazy and just google it, however if you can spot me some info I'll be grateful.

For official comps you'd want the Powerlifting Australia (gov recognised with ASADA testing) or GPC Australia (non tested)
Gym comps the 2 off the top of my head in Melbourne region that regularly hold them are PTC South Melbourne and PTC Headquarters. There may be others but those 2 are best equipped
https://powerliftingaustralia.com/
http://www.gpcaustralia.com/
https://www.facebook.com/PTCSouthMelbourne/
https://www.facebook.com/ptcfrankston/

not bragging but I might have been the first non gymnast to get rings all the way back in 2005 and I still have them now in the studio 11 yrs later - great investment at then steep $140

Remove this Banner Ad

Back