Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember a while back someone posted about the neutral spine and it being overrated/overused as a term. Can anyone repost the stuff?

Think it was Aeglos or showdownhero

It doesn't look like it was me but I'd lean towards it being overrated/overused (particularly in terms of spinal curves causing pain which is bro science at best, proven incorrect at worst, yet all the social media experts seem to base their businesses around)

Never do any direct bicep work. Compound lifting keeps them at reasonable size. Always amazed at people in the gym who may spend an hour doing bicep exercises. Blows my mind. I can understand if they are legit bodybuilders, but 95% of the time they are not.

Last edited:
Never do any direct bicep work. Compound lifting keeps them at reasonable size. Always amazed at people in the gym who may spend an hour doing bicep exercises. Blows my mind. I can understand if they are legit bodybuilders, but 95% of the time they are not.

Modern legit bodybuilders won't even do that lol

Modern legit bodybuilders won't even do that lol
I wouldn't use modern legit bodybuilders as an example of what's good lol most are *in clueless :p eat clen tren hard boys

I wouldn't use modern legit bodybuilders as an example of what's good lol most are ****in clueless :p eat clen tren hard boys

At an amateur level I'd agree, but most of the guys at the top (think Arnold's, Olympia etc) are pretty switched on.
Most are actually lawyers, bankers etc in well paying jobs to afford all the food and . . . 'supplements' haha

I train triceps quickly after chest, no more than 15-20 minutes, normally by doing compound movements like close grip bench or dips with only 30 secs rest or so, once I've done a few I then drop set pushdowns or kickbacks or something then I'm done.

But yeah, agree biceps are overrated, train your back hard enough and you'll be fine, close grip chins and close grip lat pulldowns imo are the best bicep activation back exercises. I'd imagine supinated horizontal pull ups on a Smith machine or something would do the job also.

Saw a vid on Mark Bell's channel from a while ago where the guys were doing sets of 1 minute DB bench to warm up for squats on the basis that
1) higher frequency for the pressing muscles
2) active recovery from previous workout(s)
3) you increase body temperature without fatiguing the muscles you'll be using in your actual workout
Thought the concept was pretty interesting so I'm gonna give it a crack doing bench with my bamboo bar and pull ups before squats/deads then reverse hypers and split squats before bench.
This basically doubles my 'muscle group' frequency per week from 2 to 4 without having to add any extra training sessions or training time (had been doing some joint ROM drills for my warm up which I'll ditch entirely)
At my recent comp I also found I was super fatigued through my back from squats when it came to benching so it'll be interesting to see how doing hypers/squats before benching influences that

I've been doing this a lot lately. I'm finding it a really good mix. I don't do any accessory work for any major lift on the same day. Not getting as sore, recovery times are shorter, can fit in more cardio. Probably the best part is it's reduced my workout times by 45mins too.

Saw a vid on Mark Bell's channel from a while ago where the guys were doing sets of 1 minute DB bench to warm up for squats on the basis that
3) you increase body temperature without fatiguing the muscles you'll be using in your actual workout
Thought the concept was pretty interesting so I'm gonna give it a crack doing bench with my bamboo bar and pull ups before squats/deads then reverse hypers and split squats before bench.
This basically doubles my 'muscle group' frequency per week from 2 to 4 without having to add any extra training sessions or training time (had been doing some joint ROM drills for my warm up which I'll ditch entirely)
At my recent comp I also found I was super fatigued through my back from squats when it came to benching so it'll be interesting to see how doing hypers/squats before benching influences that

Which fed do you compete in? GPC/PA/CAPO?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear nearly every 40YO+ person at the gym works back more than biceps when curling
that says something about the gym does it not.

where i (occasionally) go there are staff wondering about to check on those using the equipment.

probably to avoid any possibility of being sued i guess.

that says something about the gym does it not.

where i (occasionally) go there are staff wondering about to check on those using the equipment.

probably to avoid any possibility of being sued i guess.
Your right, quite the contrary where I go, I don't believe I have ever seen a staff member help someone doing an exercise wrong.
They're completely useless.

He has done great for the sport in Australia IMO.

Yeah definitely.
Without him (and a little financial support from Emad) the sport wouldn't be anything like what it is now.
The CAPO state meets when I first started had a couple of dozen lifters; there was something like 120 at GPC states this year

Have you heard the story of how Emad came to meet Markos?
He "should" have ended up at PA if not for Wilks

Have you heard the story of how Emad came to meet Markos?
He "should" have ended up at PA if not for Wilks

Yes. I have been training at the same gym as him from when he first started PL. Haha. Don't blame him. He is actually preparing to lift in PA though.

My brother took up powerlifting last year, had his first competition in February, went to the gym with him about 2 weeks ago and he was kinda training this way

I recall him doing decent depth squats then he'd go and do chin ups to fatigue straight afterwards, he'd do another set of squats then he'd do about 20 push ups straight after.

I think he did 6 sets of squats alternating with 3 sets each of chin ups and push ups between sets.

He was pretty knackered after this though. He was doing 1RMs of deadlifts beforehand too but he wasn't doing any supersets there. Took like nearly half an hour on his deadlifts routine spacing himself out.

30 minutes for a 1rm is fairly normal (though I did read it as an hour and a half initially lol). 6-8 sets with 2-5 minutes between (getting longer as the weights get heavier) is pretty normal. I know some lifters who take 8-10 minutes between sets (as scientifically that's as close to ideal as possible) but then get caught out at comps with not many lifters where they're being forced to lift every 5-6 minutes.
Depending on how knackered he was, the only issue I can see with supersetting between sets of squats is that technique can go out the window under fatigue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back