Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I've adjusted my wrist position for bench as a result of some videos posted here - slightly adjusting them 'inwards' (so on the outside of your hands the bars rests closer to the wrist rather than the palm) cut out all pain and strain for my wrist from bench press.
How good is it, feels so much stronger. Thanks mark rippletits

I don't do shrugs but when doing standing military press I shrug/fully extend upwards and I've notice mine growing nicely plus it works out more muscles than just plain shrugs...
+ 1 for some of the old school exercises I rarely see people doing - military press and farmers walks.

Do most people not OH press in gyms anymore? I've always considered that as integral as benching.

Trying to get very big traps. Advice please!

deadlifts. spine is a lever. transferring the force from your glutes and hammies to your humerus to lift the load in your hands requires lots of isometric contraction of the traps for the entire set. perfect all body exercise really.

if you can, do some high pulls olympic style too.

i'm not a fan of shrugs

Do most people not OH press in gyms anymore? I've always considered that as integral as benching.

i'm not seeing much of it. rather, i see most fellas go straight to raises, or do seated OH presses (the weak excuse is always their back) rather than good ol meat n potatoes exercises. folks just don't know how to create tension in their bodies before lifting a weight these days.

and of course, starting their session with barbell curls, then preacher curls, then concentration curls, then incline seated curls. rinse and repeat 3 times a week!

i'm not seeing much of it. rather, i see most fellas go straight to raises, or do seated OH presses (the weak excuse is always their back) rather than good ol meat n potatoes exercises. folks just don't know how to create tension in their bodies before lifting a weight these days.

and of course, starting their session with barbell curls, then preacher curls, then concentration curls, then incline seated curls. rinse and repeat 3 times a week!
Yep - sun's out, the no-warm-up bicep-curls-to-start crew are filtering back in.

I see a couple of older guys overhead pressing (one with dumbells, one with the ezy bar!) and one guys who sets up military press in the power rack, that's it.

I've dropped around six to seven in just under that time frame
Didnt eat too much less just ate much much better
Past 3 months was a mini bulk so getting the protein & eating at surplus - pretty easy as I eat very healthily already.
I know I can drop it I just need to be organised foodwise which is where I struggle.

plus that first week where you go on the deficit just plain sucks while you adapt to the change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I trained legs properly Saturday arvo for first the time in months since footy is now all over.

Very sore today

Yeah OHP is rare here too
It's all db seated.

Bench press - okay to touch the nipples very minor bounce (when heavy) ? or up at 1 cm above nipples keep tension on chest?

Bench press - okay to touch the nipples very minor bounce (when heavy) ? or up at 1 cm above nipples keep tension on chest?

I think it comes down to preference in terms of stopping just above your chest, or touching your chest slightly and going.

If you have to 'bounce' the weight when heavy then I would drop the weight a little.

I think it comes down to preference in terms of stopping just above your chest, or touching your chest slightly and going.

If you have to 'bounce' the weight when heavy then I would drop the weight a little.
Yes, i get a far superior pump when stopping just above the chest and then straight up no pause

Where it lands isn't a big deal unless it's near Your neck or halfway down you stomach. Everyone's mechanics are different so will have different ranges of motion.

If your goal is to get strong then the bouncing may help you with those heavy reps if you want build the muscle then keep the bar off the chest and keep the tension on.

Where it lands isn't a big deal unless it's near Your neck or halfway down you stomach. Everyone's mechanics are different so will have different ranges of motion.

If your goal is to get strong then the bouncing may help you with those heavy reps if you want build the muscle then keep the bar off the chest and keep the tension on.

And even then most of the really big benchers have good bar control and/or pause all their reps anyway
Eg Spoto

Remove this Banner Ad

Back