Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

What about (for lack of a better descriptor) falling backwards when squatting?

You're meant to "drive through your heels" supposedly, but that's precisely what causes it!

It is as simple as putting a block under your heels, or tightness in the ankles/Achilles/calves?
Aeglos What do you recommend for the bolded.. Olympic shoes have helped and allows me to keep a 'flat' foot and keep the bar over my midfoot. I do feel my limiting factor is my calves/ankles/achilles.. when I free squat the weight shifts to my toes...

Aeglos What do you recommend for the bolded.. Olympic shoes have helped and allows me to keep a 'flat' foot and keep the bar over my midfoot. I do feel my limiting factor is my calves/ankles/achilles.. when I free squat the weight shifts to my toes...

There’s not necessarily a right or wrong answer here as it comes down to why you’re squatting and how you want to squat.
I always say you should have the ability to squat bare feet but if you prefer heels for performance reasons than that’s fine.
IMO for squatting you only require enough ankle range that if you put your toes against the wall you can reach the wall with your knee without your heel lifting (will post pic at bottom; I can’t always do this on my right side and still squat fine).
If you can do that then I’d suggest your stance could be widened slightly so depth is obtained by the hips dropping between the femurs rather than getting depth from the knees travelling forwards.
If your ankles don’t do what I described then we need to start talking about capsular vs soft tissue restriction and it starts to potentially get a little complicated lol.

Ankle test:
https://squatuniversitydotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/fullsizerender-7.jpg

Trying to balance 2-3 days a week of leg training with still doing cardio and my back and legs just feel cooked, assuming its just something I need to get used to and probably need to do a lot more proper recovery work but legitimately struggled walking around yesterday.

what's your weekly lay out?

Think ive mentioned before but my wife has a deal through work where we get access to like 200 gyms around Syndey, but mostly Bondi Gym in Bondi Junction.

cool. fitness passport. basically government workers. sweet deal. i have access too through family, but i raid the inner west.

sounds like you're training the house down! i'm reckon the HIIT would be affecting your strength work in some capacity. perhaps bring your HIIT workouts back to 2 a week and take an extra rest day? i assume you also lift for volume and hypertrophy?

cool. fitness passport. basically government workers. sweet deal. i have access too through family, but i raid the inner west.

sounds like you're training the house down! i'm reckon the HIIT would be affecting your strength work in some capacity. perhaps bring your HIIT workouts back to 2 a week and take an extra rest day? i assume you also lift for volume and hypertrophy?

Yeh I'm thinking the same thing, my HIIT is skipping and s**t too so its not exactly low impact, I'm just really enjoying it!! The eternal struggle

I think everyone can benefit from a ten minute ice bath, a warm shower and ten hours sleep.

100% although I'm a cold shower man, swear by it but ice pack on the back, 8 hours sleep, rolling and stretching every 2-3 days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Weight Training: Building Muscle

To be honest, I have totally neglected leg work thus far. Basically just in it to look good. Bit of a surprise to the girlfriend who has gone over to America to study for 6 months.

So purely in terms of shaping the upper body, leg work doesnt seem overly essential to me?

Please excuse my obvious ignorance!

Biggest muscles - release the most testosterone. Can’t get big without legs

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think everyone can benefit from a ten minute ice bath, a warm shower and ten hours sleep.

Sleep is an individual thing

I'm a deep sleepe so 7 hours is enough for me. I can't remember the last time I slept more than 8-9 hours

There’s not necessarily a right or wrong answer here as it comes down to why you’re squatting and how you want to squat.
I always say you should have the ability to squat bare feet but if you prefer heels for performance reasons than that’s fine.
IMO for squatting you only require enough ankle range that if you put your toes against the wall you can reach the wall with your knee without your heel lifting (will post pic at bottom; I can’t always do this on my right side and still squat fine).
If you can do that then I’d suggest your stance could be widened slightly so depth is obtained by the hips dropping between the femurs rather than getting depth from the knees travelling forwards.
If your ankles don’t do what I described then we need to start talking about capsular vs soft tissue restriction and it starts to potentially get a little complicated lol.

Ankle test:
https://squatuniversitydotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/fullsizerender-7.jpg

funny you mention that because my left ankle is the same. When I free squat I notice my right heel comes off the floor. I also have noticed it has cause my right his flexor a bit of pain

I've been training the neil hill Y3T, basically cycling rep ranges over 3 weeks.

I am in week 2 this week, today was leg day and i find this the toughest workout of them all. Rep range is 14-18 so you can still move some decent weight but at a higher reps.

I trained in the morning and was a little crunched for time so i supersetted quads and hammies

Warm up - wide stance squat 4 sets x 14-18 (range from 0kg on the bar upto 15kg each side)
Working sets - wide stance squat 6 sets 14-18 (60kg total on the bar)
Superset
Warm up - Lying legs curl 4 sets 14-18 (15kg to 25kg)
Working sets - lying leg curl 6 sets 14-18 (35kg-45kg)

Machine hack squat - 4 working sets 14-18 (60kg total)
superset
Stiff legged deadlifts - 4 working sets 14-18 (30kg-40kg total)

2 sets of walking DB lunges

As a comparison today was week 3

Leg press warm up 2 sets 20-30 reps 80kg total
Superset
Lying hamstring curls warm up 2 sets x 15-20 reps

Leg press working sets 3 x 60-80 100kg
Superset
Lying hamstring curls working sets 4 x 20-25

Leg extension triple drop (each set is 8 reps at 90kg x 8 reps at 55kg x 8 reps at 35kg) 3 x 20-25
Super set
Stiff legged deadlifts 3 x 20-25 40kg

2 sets of walking DB lunges 20-25 reps

Week one

Leg press warm up 4 x 6-10 (80-120kg total) superset stiff legged deadlifts 4 x 6-10 (30kg)

Working sets;

Leg press 3 x 6-10 (300kg) superset stiff legged deadlifts 3 x 6-10 (80kg inc. bar)

Lying leg curls 4 x 6-10 (55kg) superset back squats 3 x 6-10 100kg

Single leg lying leg curls 3 x 6-10 15kg superset leg extension 3 x 6-10 110kg

Bulgarian split legged DB squat 3 x 6-10 14kg dbs in each hand

Get huge.

Seriously, at the moment nothing, just training cause I enjoy it. I'll tailor it for whatever I decide to do next (last year was all about Obstacle Course Racing).

If there are no specific goals then you can easily drop a hit and/or leg session then - seems overkill for mine regardless

Remove this Banner Ad

Back