Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure it *can* happen, but so can any other number of injuries. How many vids of guys putting out their lower back or hammy deadlifting? Plenty I'll bet.

Chalk makes a huge difference, at least +40kg for me. If you want to train grip you can also play around with the captains of crush grippers. They're fun. I'm not sure how much functional carry over from them there really is though tbh.
I think he was just saying they ‘can’ happen and giving preventative measures. Exact same you do for lower back and Hammys mate

I'm sure it *can* happen, but so can any other number of injuries. How many vids of guys putting out their lower back or hammy deadlifting? Plenty I'll bet.

I’ve seen more torn biceps in powerlifting competitions during deadlift than either hamstrings or backs.
As with everything there is a risk to reward trade off. Yes, chances of a bicep tear at sub maximal weight deadlifts is low, but that doesn’t warrant ignoring the risk entirely

you're finding your grip give out even using mixed grip?

Grip is the limiting factor in my deadlift (and that’s with me trying both hook and mixed).
That said, it’s like one day it just magically disappeared so I’m wondering if there’s a general fatigue or even nerve issue that’s the root cause.

Have you ever used chalk before? My grip starts to feel a bit slippery @ roughly the same point too. I can struggle up to ~2.25BW & then definitely need chalk from there, which gets me up to 2.75.
Might have to start. I have long hands so feel like the bar sometimes slips down into my fingers which is a problem, although I tend to de-load for a second every rep rather than touch and go, even on warm ups.

Anyone have a GOAT oblique exercise?

I went on one of these side swings at an outdoor gym

1PHXa1b.png

was genuinely surprised my obliques were quite sore the next day, admittedly I don't think I've ever targeted them but I kinda assumed they got a workout during ab workouts and squats.

Did some 25kg side bends this morning which felt a bit weird but we'll see how I go, like I said though any advice appreciated

Dumbbell Side Bend

Anyone have a GOAT oblique exercise?

I went on one of these side swings at an outdoor gym

1PHXa1b.png

was genuinely surprised my obliques were quite sore the next day, admittedly I don't think I've ever targeted them but I kinda assumed they got a workout during ab workouts and squats.

Did some 25kg side bends this morning which felt a bit weird but we'll see how I go, like I said though any advice appreciated

Dumbbell Side Bend

My best oblique exercise is not eating junk food

meaning you want good obliques.....drop the body fat.

If you are sub 10% body fat but have the flat stomach of a 10 year old boy then do some ab exercises.

People think they need to build the ab muscles to "show through" the body fat, when in fact you need to drop the body fat and that is when you will see good abs/obliques.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

meaning you want good obliques.....drop the body fat.

If you are sub 10% body fat but have the flat stomach of a 10 year old boy then do some ab exercises.

People think they need to build the ab muscles to "show through" the body fat, when in fact you need to drop the body fat and that is when you will see good abs/obliques.
are you saying there's no value in training abs and obliques unless you're under 15% body fat?

are you saying there's no value in training abs and obliques unless you're under 15% body fat?

No it is beneficial.....but if you are doing them purely so you have a nice set of abs to show off down at the beach, then you are wasting your time.

Has anyone completed weight training?

Like got to the point where you are a rig and don't want to get bigger and just stay in maintenance. Or do you always want to get bigger?

I feel once you get to a certain size getting bigger doesn't help you unless you do it for competition.

No natural lifter gets to big, just to fat

I've been up to 95/96kg and I was to fat, end of the footy season this year I was 90/91kg and my running was affected by carrying to much bodyfat not to much muscle mass.

I've dropped down to 84kg currently For me I will never stop trying to build muscle but my goal is to stay lean

I guess those are true stating you can't really get too big natty.
With diminishing returns and that.

Just could get to a size you are happy with, models never get too big.

Hi guys I need help getting my deadlift up.

My goal is 160 kg 1rm before the end of the year. Ive begun deadlifting again this week after a couple months layoff due to laziness. I achieved a PR of 140 kg 1rm yesterday (raw, overhand grip) after failing to get it off the floor on Saturday. I have probably only deadlifted on 10-15 occasions since beginning weight lifting last November so I believe I am nowhere near hitting a wall yet. As evidence by adding 10 kilos to my deadlift in 4 days (130>>140).

My current plan is to deadlift heavy (1-5 reps, 5 sets) twice a week (adding weight weight sesh) but am worried this may be too taxing on my CNS. Im hoping to get away with it for two months so I can hit my PR and then deload. I've also thought maybe 1 session I just do some speed deadlifting from a deficit and then the second session I go heavy so less taxing on my CNS? What do you guys think?

I'm 20 male, 6 foot and 85 kg. I just want to get as strong as I can as quick as I can on the deadlift. Thanks guys.

Also when do you think it's a good idea to start using a belt and straps? I don't use either at the moment but might start using a belt and used mixed grip when my grip starts to fail. (My grip was somewhat struggling with the 140 kg).

It might also be worth noting that I don't do much accessory work for deadlift. (Ie. Reverse hypers, rack pulls).

I also know my hammies are the weak link on my deadlift. When I was doing 140 getting it past the knees was a grind. Once it was past my knees it SHOT UP no problem. I don't train legs very often so this makes sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back